Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

XLR Key Fob

paulc17

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Light Platinum XLR
I 've only had my 2006 XLR for about a month and I love it.

When I took delivery the dealer only had key fob#1. He had to order fob#2, which I just received in the mail this week.

To save a trip back to the dealer (a state away) I followed the instructions in the owner's manual to activate the new key fob, but the system programed it as fob #3.
You can program up to 4 fobs but only #1 and #2 will work the pre-set options the car offers.

The question is- how do I delete the old lost fob#2 so I can program the new fob as #2 ???
(can't find anything in the manual)

Try Method #3, but allow some time to do it.

Transmitter Programming Domestic

Important

When a remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR) is replaced the original key fobs become obsolete; the key fobs can only be programmed to the original RCDLR. Key fobs and the RCDLR can only be transferred to another vehicle as a complete set. Additional new key fobs programmed to a RCDLR cannot be reprogrammed to another RCDLR or another vehicle.

Important

Do not operate or program the key fobs in the vicinity of other vehicles that are in the keyless entry program mode. This will prevent the programming of the key fobs to the incorrect vehicle.

There are 4 methods for programming key fobs. Up to four key fobs may be programmed to the RCDLR. Each programmed key fob is given a position of #1-#4 in the RCDLR memory.
<A href="http://127.0.0.1:9001/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1208587&evc=sm&pubid=423&cellId=52171&mspsdsubkey=2942#ss1-1208587">Method 1 - Key Fob Quick Learn

This procedure will add key fobs. Fobs will be numbered in sequence based on when they are programmed; if two fobs are currently programmed to the RCDLR, a fob programmed using this method will be numbered as Fob 3. This procedure requires that you have a known good key fob, a replacement key fob, and the vehicles mechanical key.

Important

This procedure is not available when the maximum number of fobs (4) have been programmed. If 4 key fobs are programmed to this RCDLR and this method is attempted, the DIC will display MAX FOBS LEARNED and the programming procedure will exit. Method 4 must be used in this instance.

1. <LI type=1>The vehicle must be OFF. <LI type=1>Open the rear compartment. <LI type=1>Place a known key fob within the interior of the vehicle. <LI type=1>At the rear of the vehicle insert the vehicle key in the rear compartment lock cylinder located in the lower left and cycle the key 5 times within 5 seconds. <LI type=1>The drivers information center (DIC) will display a message: READY FOR FOB X (X = fob 2, 3, or 4). <LI type=1>Place the replacement key fob in the glove box fob pocket with the buttons facing right. <LI type=1>A beep will occur and the DIC will display: READY FOR FOB X (X = fob 3 or 4) or MAX FOBS LEARNED. <LI type=1>If programming additional key fobs, repeat steps 5 and 6, or press the OFF/ACC portion of the ignition switch to exit programming mode.
  2. Operate the active portion of each key fob in order to verify correct system operation.
<A href="http://127.0.0.1:9001/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1208587&evc=sm&pubid=423&cellId=52171&mspsdsubkey=2942#ss2-1208587">Method 2 - Key Fob Slot Programming

This procedure will add or replace a key fob. Method 2 allows you to choose which location (slot) the unprogrammed fob will be learned to. If you are replacing a key fob, this method will erase the previously known key fob programmed to that particular slot. This procedure requires that you have a known good key fob, a replacement key fob, the vehicles mechanical key, and a scan tool.

Important

This procedure is not available when the maximum number of Fob's (4) have been programmed. If 4 key fobs are programmed to this RCDLR and this method is attempted, the DIC will display MAX FOBS LEARNED and the programming procedure will exit. Method 4 must be used in this instance.

1. <LI type=1>The vehicle must be OFF. <LI type=1>Open the rear compartment. <LI type=1>Place a known key fob within the interior of the vehicle. <LI type=1>At the rear of the vehicle insert the vehicle key in the rear compartment lock cylinder located in the lower left and cycle the key 5 times within 5 seconds. <LI type=1>Install a scan tool. <LI type=1>Use the scan tool, to access the following:
    • Vehicle Control Systems
    • Computer/Integrating Systems
    • Module Replacement/Setup
    • RCDLR
    • Program Key Fobs
    <LI type=1>Select Fob X (X = 1, 2, 3, or 4) on the scan tool. This will be the slot you wish to program to. <LI type=1>Place the replacement key fob in the glove box pocket with the buttons facing right. A beep will occur indicating programming completion. The previously known fob is now erased. <LI type=1>If programming additional key fobs, repeat steps 4-8, or press the OFF/ACC portion of the ignition switch to exit programming. <LI type=1>Remove the scan tool.
  2. Operate the active portion of each key fob in order to verify correct system operation.
<A href="http://127.0.0.1:9001/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1208587&evc=sm&pubid=423&cellId=52171&mspsdsubkey=2942#ss3-1208587">Method 3 - Key Fob Auto Learn

This procedure will first erase all known key fobs. The procedure will then program a single or multiple key fobs. Method 3 is a series of three 10 minute key cycles, for a total of 30 minutes. This procedure requires that you have a replacement key fob and the vehicles mechanical key.

Important

All previously programmed key fobs will be erased upon completion of the 30 minute programming procedure. The order in which the key fobs are programmed will determine its numbering position within the RCDLR memory. The first key fob programmed will be key fob #1, and the second key fob programmed will be key fob #2. The number stamped on the key fob case is for reference only: #2 can be programmed as #1.
Do not place any known good key fobs in the vicinity of the vehicle when programming with Method 3. If the RCDLR recognizes a known good key fob during Method 3 programming, the programming mode will resort to Method 1.

1. <LI type=1>The vehicle must be OFF. <LI type=1>Open the rear compartment. <LI type=1>Place the replacement key fob in the glove box pocket with the buttons facing right. <LI type=1>At the rear of the vehicle insert the vehicle key in the rear compartment lock cylinder located in the lower left and cycle the key 5 times within 5 seconds. <LI type=1>The drivers information center (DIC) will display a message: OFF/ACC TO LEARN. <LI type=1>Press the OFF/ACC portion of the ignition button. <LI type=1>The DIC will display a message: WAIT 10 MINUTES, then it will count down from 10 to 0, one minute at a time. <LI type=1>When the counter reaches 0, DIC will display OFF/ACC TO LEARN. <LI type=1>Repeat steps 6-7 two more times, for a total of 30 minutes. <LI type=1>A beep will occur and the DIC will display: READY FOR FOB 1. At this time all previously known key fobs have been erased. When fob 1 is programmed a beep will be heard and the DIC will display a message: READY FOR FOB 2. <LI type=1>Additional key fobs can be programmed by taking fob 1 out of the pocket and inserting fob 2. If desired, up to 4 fobs can be programmed. Once 4 fobs have been learned, the DIC will display a message: MAX FOBS LEARNED, and automatically exit the program mode. <LI type=1>If learning less than 4 key fobs, press the OFF/ACC portion of the ignition button to exit the program mode.
<A href="http://127.0.0.1:9001/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1208587&evc=sm&pubid=423&cellId=52171&mspsdsubkey=2942#ss4-1208587">Method 4 - Service Programming System Fob Programming

This procedure is a 10 minute relearn procedure using the Techline Terminal with SPS software. Once the 10 minute timer has expired, the fobs can be programmed similar to Method 2 using slot programming. A scan tool, Techline Terminal, and a replacement key fob are required to perform this procedure.
  1. <LI type=1>Place the vehicle in the Vehicle On, Engine Off mode. <LI type=1>Connect a scan tool to the vehicle. <LI type=1>Insure that all power consuming devices are turned OFF on the vehicle. <LI type=1>With a scan tool, select Request Info under Service Programming System and follow the scan tool on-screen instructions. <LI type=1>Disconnect the scan tool from the vehicle and connect the scan tool to a Techline Terminal with the current Service Programming System (SPS) software. <LI type=1>Turn the vehicle OFF. <LI type=1>On the Techline Terminal, select Service Programming System and follow the Techline Terminal on-screen instructions. Ensure the correct programming procedure is selected based on component being replaced or programmed. See Important above. <LI type=1>Disconnect the scan tool from the Techline Terminal and re-connect the scan tool to the vehicle. <LI type=1>With a scan tool, select Program ECU under Service Programming System. <LI type=1>At this point the scan tool must remain connected for the duration of the 10 minute relearn procedure. <LI type=1>When the 10 minute relearn procedure has completed, use the scan tool to access the following:
    • Vehicle Control Systems
    • Computer/Integrating Systems
    • Module Replacement/Setup
    • RCDLR
    • Program Key Fobs
    <LI type=1>Select Fob X (X = 1, 2, 3, or 4) on the scan tool. This will be the slot you wish to program to. <LI type=1>Place the replacement key fob in the glove box pocket with the buttons facing right. A beep will occur indicating programming completion. The previously known fob is now erased. <LI type=1>If programming additional key fobs, repeat steps 12-13, or press the OFF/ACC portion of the ignition switch to exit programming. <LI type=1>Remove the scan tool.

Thanks for the info.
You're right, method #3 looks like the answer to my situation.

The programing method #3 worked!!
It is important to keep any existing fobs out of range while the programing is taking place.
Once the three 10 minute cycles were completed the DIC was ready to program fob #1, then fob #2.

Thanks again.

Paulc17

FYI

My two fobs were already programed (#2 incorrectly) so I had to skip
step 4, of method 3, and leave the glove box fob pocket empty during the 3 ten minute cyles.

Learned this through trial and error.

FYI

My two fobs were already programed (#2 incorrectly) so I had to skip
step 4, of method 3, and leave the glove box fob pocket empty during the 3 ten minute cyles.

Learned this through trial and error.

Hi paulc17,

I am not sure if you can remeber after 2 years, but I have same situation like you. FOB #1 is fine and #2 not working, so I want to try method 3, just want to know when DIC ready to program, should I enter fob #1 to glove box or start with #2?

and I do not get step 14: Operate the active portion of each key fob in order to verify correct system operation, what does it mean?

thx

Hi paulc17,

I am not sure if you can remeber after 2 years, but I have same situation like you. FOB #1 is fine and #2 not working, so I want to try method 3, just want to know when DIC ready to program, should I enter fob #1 to glove box or start with #2?

and I do not get step 14: Operate the active portion of each key fob in order to verify correct system operation, what does it mean?

thx

The DIC programs the FOBs in numeral order (1-4). So it will first read "ready to program FOB#1". At that point insert FOB#1 in the slot. When Fob #1 is completed it will then say "ready to program FOB#2",etc.

Step 14 is just telling you to test the newly programed FOBs to make sure they are working correctly.

Hope I answered your concerns. Good luck.

The DIC programs the FOBs in numeral order (1-4). So it will first read "ready to program FOB#1". At that point insert FOB#1 in the slot. When Fob #1 is completed it will then say "ready to program FOB#2",etc.

Step 14 is just telling you to test the newly programed FOBs to make sure they are working correctly.

Hope I answered your concerns. Good luck.

Thx 4 fast reply and compelete answers, I will try it tonight

Hi,

I just installed a new RCDLR and now the engine does not start!!! can you help me in this matter please?

Are you getting a message "no key fob detected"?
If so, try reprogramming.

If no message at all then you may have a dead battery.

Are you getting a message "no key fob detected"?
If so, try reprogramming.

If no message at all then you may have a dead battery.

Hi

Both new Fobs are known and work fine

I also thought it may be battery problem so I tried with one other car battery but still when I try to start, all power gone and after few seconds maybe 5 or 10 all gage hands move from left to right and the massage "Cadillac xlr" shows on DIC, which this happens normally after the car started but now I just receive the message and engine still is off

So do you know if any setting required after a new RCDLR modules installation?

Hi

Both new Fobs are known and work fine

Before you push the start button, put one of the key fobs in the glove compartment fob slot with the buttons facing outward. Then try to start.

If the fob is next to your phone or there are other electronics in the vehicle the RCDLR may be experiencing EMI interference.

Before you push the start button, put one of the key fobs in the glove compartment fob slot with the buttons facing outward. Then try to start.

If the fob is next to your phone or there are other electronics in the vehicle the RCDLR may be experiencing EMI interference.

Still nothing !!!

May be it is bcz of new RCDLR ?

Still nothing !!!

May be it is bcz of new RCDLR ?

This is a very old thread, but I hope others will still see this. We've misplaced FOB #1 for my 2007 XLR. I can find some for sale on ebay, but if I'm reading the warning near the top of this thread correctly, they won't work. Is that correct?

The warning says:
Important

When a remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR) is replaced the original key fobs become obsolete; the key fobs can only be programmed to the original RCDLR. Key fobs and the RCDLR can only be transferred to another vehicle as a complete set. Additional new key fobs programmed to a RCDLR cannot be reprogrammed to another RCDLR or another vehicle.

That would also seem to be the reason the previous poster (back in 2012!!!) wasn't successful using his old fob's with a new RCDLR.

I haven't checked with a Cadillac dealer yet to see if a new fob is available anymore.
Thanks,
Bernie

IF the FOB on eBay (Production date before 2010) is old then it might work otherwise you need to change RCDLR if you want to program new FOBs

A new RCDLR should accept fobs previously associated with the old RCDLR. It doesn't know the old fobs were programmed to the old RCDLR. They're just active or passive transmitters and have no memory of any RCDLR. Fobs that are for 08 and 09 (flat, holds an auxilllary key) XLR's can be programmed to 05 to 07 XLR's. I have done that and the newer style fobs work perfectly on my 06 X.

Thanks Mehrab and Rexster314 for your replies. I have the new fob and it is working.

I wound up having a car shop reprogram the car to accept both the old and new fob. When I tried to do it myself, the first step in the instruction manual is to use the key in the bumper to open the trunk. Took some jiggling to get the key in, it had never been done before. I turned it, but the trunk didn't open. I'm sure I needed to turn it further but I was afraid the key would break. So I had my local auto shop do it. They were able to download software and program the car without using the key. $147 for the shop and about $80 for the fob and we have two fobs again. Now the missing one will probably turn up any moment.

Last edited:
Just an fyi, if you do find the old fob; it will probably no longer work. It sounds like they reprogrammed your new and old fobs as 1 & 2; so the missing one is now a paperweight if found.:lol::lol:

Thanks Mehrab and Rexster314 for your replies. I have the new fob and it is working.

I wound up having a car shop reprogram the car to accept both the old and new fob. When I tried to do it myself, the first step in the instruction manual is to use the key in the bumper to open the trunk. Took some jiggling to get the key in, it had never been done before. (Biting my tongue from commenting about that.) I turned it, but the trunk didn't open. I'm sure I needed to turn it further but I was afraid the key would break. So I had my local auto shop do it. They were able to download software and program the car without using the key. $147 for the shop and about $80 for the fob and we have two fobs again. Now the missing one will probably turn up any moment.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom