Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

XLR Stuck in Gear... Shift Cable Repair

The cable is very easy to adjust. It's on the transmission end as I recall. Like I said, if the steel braided cable is not frayed or coming loose, change out the bushings.

shift cable reverse only

Was on a trip to far away Branson MO. Parked in parking lot of train ride event. Was backed up to the active train track about 8 feet behind the parking. When I went to leave, I put the car in drive and applied the gas. The car back up instead! Tried several times. I would put it in drive, the mirrors would adjust like I had put it in reverse, and the car would back up.
I had to manually push it away from the tracks before the train came.
The closest Cadillac dealer was, $125 away by rollback, in Springfield. Had to stay two extra nights waiting for my turn in line and the shift cable to come. That was two and a half years ago and there has not been similar problem yet.
I had driven the car to Branson for my Navy Reunion. But, first went from Nashville to Detroit Milwaukee and then on to Branson. The plan was for a big road trip and then to proudly show my Navy buddies my prize XLR. No one got to see it even on the Rollback. Bummer. :dunno:

XLR Shifter Cable

Hi Brothers,
Good morning. Just another day in Paradise. I feel your pain... Sometimes it is the simple problems that cause the most issues. I also attended a Navy Reunion in Branson this last year. USS Reeves CG-24. Saw several shipmates and sure hope to see more next year. Branson is only about 2 hours south of Lake of the Ozarks so it is an easy trip. What reunion were you attending? Thanks, Fred Catcott HMCM(SW/FMF) Retired.

reunion in the XLR

Our was the USS Seattle AOE-3 Fast combat support ship. I was among the commissioning crew in 1969 and attended the decommission in 2005. Did not get a plank but did get a nice coin. A year later about 12 crew got together and formed the Veterans Association. We met in San Francisco this year. Laid a wreath on the tomb of the Unknown Soldier at Arlington last year. With family we had about 80 in attendance.
2018 is San Antonio in the fall. As to the XLR, it is good to see sailors get a shot at luxury, performance, and good looks all in one package.

XLR Shift Cable

Hi George,
Good afternoon. Just another sunny day in Paradise. Nice to hear from you about the AOE-3. I think we may have spent some time along side her. Take care and I do like the XLR. New it would have been 3-4 years pay. They are fun to drive. Take care and if you every get to the Lake of the Ozarks please look me up. Take care, Fred

Merry Christmas

Hi,
Good morning. Just another day in Paradise. What reunion? Which ship and what are the dates? Thanks, F

stuck in reverse

Just had my transmission cable replaced by Cadillac $498.00 The tech told me that the end of the cable where it enters into the tranny is plastic and that it breaks off and when it breaks wherever it is in that the gear you are stuck in. Every Cadillac and corvette is the same and they all break off its not when or where it can be brand new and break because its plastic who the hell desiged this piece of **** cable for a 80,000 car?

cable end

that same cable end is used on GM cars from 15K all the way up. Some last for many many years and some fail again within a couple of months. The replacement bushings for about 25$ and 1 hour to replace is really the way to go. I replaced 4 or 5 for local owners before they had too much age on them.

Hello all! Took our car to the local Cadillac dealer for the worst Raw Gas smell ever within our garage, where we park this 'New Black Beauty'. They've done all sorts of tests, but have found no leaks, etc. :-( However, they DID find a frayed and broken Shift Cable! NONE available, as all are Back-ordered! Trying to locate one somewhere! Anyway, after reviewing ALL of these many complaints and problems listed on your site and the other XLR Forum, we believe there's a definite Manufacturing Problem with this faulty part!!!!! How do we all get GM to pay for these EXPENSIVE Faulty Parts??? Ideas??? We WILL be informing the government watchdog! Thanks and we'll await any replies about the Gasoline Smell, and the Faulty Shift Cables. Luette

You won't get GM to pay for anything. The cable is around 60$ if you find one. If the cable is frayed you can't just replace the nylon/plastic grommets without worrying if the actual cable might let go. Was the shifter working when you took it to the dealer? If was, I suggest a trip to another one for a second opinion. Chevy dealers can do the same examination

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom