Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

XLR trunk won't open all the way

drhank

The hydraulic pump for my top needed to be rebuilt so I sent it to Top Hydraulics and they did a fantastic job. After I removed the pump, I closed the trunk. Now I can only manually open it about 8-10 inches. Any idea as to what's holding it up? I was always able to open the trunk manually even with a bad pump.

Thanks!

You may need to exchange the struts which help raise n hold up trunk lid!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Retractable top problems

HI drank

Check for the leak seals of the oil channels at the motor and also the possibility of air into the hydraulic system, when you filled it whith the new appropiated oil.

The hydraulic cylinders that realy do the lifting of the lid, could also been weaks, so as the gas struts helpers, there is one of each, at both sides.

Give a call to ''Top hydraulic'', he could inform you of other possibilities.....after all your a customer now.

Good luck.

IAN :thumbsup

Thanks for the replies. When I took a closer look at it, it seems that with the pump out the pressure dropped in the cylinders and this caused the toneau cover to drop back in the way of the trunk opening. I just pulled it forward with my hand and manually opened the trunk lid.

I reinstalled the pump and the trunk opens and closes like new but when I push the console switch t drop the top nothing happens. I cleaned and double checked all the connections but still not sound. Checked the fuses too. Seems like an electrical disconnect somewhere. Could the top switch in the console be bad?

All input is greatly appreciated.

Retractable top problems

drhank.

There are many switches and sensors for the retractable top, if one of those fail or has bad ground or not in place like te luggage barrier in the trunk, the module will not send the sinal for the operations of the top.

I have seen often that the deck lid open switch at its hinge could be defective, check it out, if the click sound happens it means that it is OK,do the same for the other lid switches.

As far for the sensors I suggest to visit the site of TopHydraulic, a video was done for that perticular problem, you could get the answert to your problem.

Enclosed are photos and a diagram that explain the top operations.

Good luck

IAN:blinzel:
top operation.jpg1f  cadillac folding top.jpg

I thought it may be the trunk lid deck switch but the windows don't go down as the start of the sequence.

Retractable top problems

drhanks

Was all switches test, was all sensors check, was all the wires been check a pinch....if so please call the top expert, TOP Hydraulic as after a relearn and suggestions the top still malfunctions.

Good luck.

IAN :blinzel:

As I was reading through these post I was wondering if you have checked the rocker switch that is in passenger front glove box, the one that is actually the convertible tops on and off switch to start or stop it from working or is that the switch you were referring to in the recent post when you said the trunk lid deck switch?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The switch in the glove box is the valet switch and it is off.
To clarify a bit, if I may:
When I use the top switch on the inside console, nothing happens. The windows don't even come down.
The trunk will open normally when I use the fob or the trunk button inside. The pump motor stops appropriately and the trunk lid will close by using the button on it.

I would suggest checking the trunk divider switch, I think it’s in the right tower where the divider clicks into.

Trunk divider switch is OK. Tested the rocker switch in the center console that puts the top up and down and that's OK too. I had a spare one and also replaced it and still nothing. The first step, windows going down, doesn't happen.

drhank

OK....then lets move on the power source and the grounds.

Under the hood the ''battery 2'' has small relays, ( breaker ) #29 for the door module, and #33 ''battery 3'' for the top, check for the corrsion on the pins and its filament, that you can look into a tiny window of the relay if it is defective.

On the passenger side ( under the carpet ) check the fuse #45 for the auxiliary relay, if it is ok then check its relay that feeds the top module.

Lower the door '' A '' pillar the ground 201 ( black ) pack for the door and the components in this area, open the cover and check for pins corrsion or weak pins, also the female connections that do not makes proper contacs.

Then at the lower door ''B'' pillar ( behind the seat ) do the same, check the pack of 6 black wires and its conditions.

To access at those grounds.... the door sill cover ( press in ) has to be removed, ounce this is done then the front and rear trims are easy to removed.

The battery grounds (2) could be a source of problems, ground 104 lower the battery and ground 106 on the Instrument panel ( firewall ) .....the battery has to be removed.in order to limits shorts.... the ground connections and surfaces must deeply cleaned.....do this before checking the car grounds.

The windows will have to be reindex when the works is completed.... ( hoping that it willworks )

Since you are a dedicate DIY, on internet ( google ) down load a manual for the training of the GM mechanics, it is free and has all sorts of goodies inside....you will be please. ( thanks GM )

Good luck

IAN :blinzel:

Training manual.jpg

Last edited:
Already checked fuses and relays and they are OK. Will check the wires under the door sill and battery grounds next.
Thanks for your help.

Here is all the ground connection areas
ce9a2afc768f09b555d235e8d4d6da52.jpg

Thanks
Caddy Dan using Tapatalk

Retractable top problems

HI

The top gets its ground ( 301 ) on the LH side '' B ''pillar behind the driver seat, as shown from a member on its post 15.
The door module ground (201) also is on the driver side ''A'' pillar.

I would began with the battery grounds, as it is one of them for the BCM, that feed all the modules.

If you feel like doing it for all other grounds of the car, it would be great, I have found on my XLR many grounds that were needs to be cleaned, after so many years that the car has been build....it could save you for the futur many electrical problems.

Wishing you good luck.

IAN.:thumbsup

Thats the first thing I tried. Wondering if it could be the control module........

Door problem

drhanks.

Usely when a battery is removed for some service purposes, the windows has to be reboot.

A tech 2 should indicate the module problem.....usely a code is showing at your dash cluster.

Have you downloaded the XLR 2004 training manual, there is a lot of good informations about the retractable top.

IAN :sprite10:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back