Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

XLR-V vs XLR

A

Animate

For those that have gotten a XLR-V after owning an XLR, do you feel satisfied with the change? Are there some characteristics you prefer on the standard car?

We had an 04 XLR then when they decided to stop making them Cubby got us an 06 XLR-V. The differences I don't know. I like them both. They are fast. I liked both. :D

Just one man's opinion

Most of what I notice is purely my preference/opinion; others may see it differently.

I can 'feel" the difference in power. I think the suspension is better. I think the 19" Pirellis feel better than the Michelins. There is a performance mode, which is not on the base X. I beleive the V has bigger brakes than the base model. The base has the ACC, which the V does not; however I myself never cared for it anyway.

Most of the other things I like are cosmetic--no XM 'wart' antenna on the decklid ('06 and up antenna is in the right outside mirror), the mesh grille, ten spoke wheels and raised hood. (Raised hood is standard on all '09 models).

Had they still been producing the XLR/XLR-V, I would probably still have the '04--it was an excellent car, very low miles and I had on it what I wanted. I upgraded to the V to make sure I would have one before they all got 'snagged up'. I don't know which direction I will go if I ever tired of the XLR-V--don't think I ever will though. A truely fine luxury sportscar!!!

I feel pretty much the same as Cubby except for a few things, I had an '06 XLR then went to an '06 XLR-V. I was one person who liked the adaptive cruise, I'm sure there could have been some way to keep it in the "V" models. I don't like the Velcro (suede, I guess) inserts they put in the seats in place of real leather throughout. The Velcro is harder to clean and you don't slide as you do with real leather. It's a bit harder to get to the sitting position you prefer than where your butt hit when first entering. After all this time I still haven't gotten used to it.

Overall I am much more pleased with the "V" as there many small changes that may not seem like much when taken individually, some can be added later to an XLR, some can't. Now that the prices have dropped I strongly suggest a "V" whether new or a low mileage "Previously Driven" gorilla in a tuxedo.

Good luck whichever way you go, I'm very sure you'll be very pleased once you get comfy behind the wheel.

Floyd (BB)

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't know the Adaptive Cruise Control wasn't available on the V.

From an appearance standpoint I also prefer the regular leather, although I haven't tried the suede. From pictures the suede seems to wear faster?

Has anyone gone from the automatic XLR to a manual XLR-V?? If so, is it something worth doing:cool:?
I have an 06 XLR as a third car , so I wouldn't mind tooling around in a V on weekends using a stickshift.

I bought used, but looked for 6 months at both base & V's. I liked the V styling much more, the subtle interior and exterior changes. With the price spread between base & V if I wanted the V I would have probably wound up selling my Corvette also, so I went with base and am making minor changes.
Both models are nice cars, you need to decide which you will enjoy.
Bruce

Has anyone gone from the automatic XLR to a manual XLR-V?? If so, is it something worth doing:cool:?
I have an 06 XLR as a third car , so I wouldn't mind tooling around in it on weekends using a stickshift.

Do you mean removing the auto tranny and replacing it with stick? Or just use the auto as a stick by shifting it yourself? If you mean the latter you can do the same with your XLR. Now, if you meant to replace the auto that's another whole can of worms, I think it would be a very brave man to attempt such a swap.

Floyd (BB)

If I found the right V with a manual transmission, I would trade my 06 in for it. The manual mode on the automatic is fun but it's not a stick.

'Vs" have an automatic, just like the XLR. Although the first couple years of XLRs only had a 5-speed, later replaced with a 6-speed. No production "Vs" were made with a truly manual tranny.

Floyd (BB)

I didn't know that!! For some reason I thought the V had a manual option.
Thanks for the info.
Now, the only option I have left is a vette. Just kidding!:chuckle

I didn't know that!! For some reason I thought the V had a manual option.
Thanks for the info.
Now, the only option I have left is a vette. Just kidding!:chuckle

I agree, I missed shifting so I went and sprung for an '08 Z06--you may do the same--best of both worlds!

Floyd (BB)

That is why I wanted to keep my Corvette also, besides the XLR is just a totally different animal - totally.
Bruce

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back