Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

XLRV Belt Tensioner - top of motor

scott8060

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2008 XLR/V, Arctic White, Cashmere interior
Hello All,
I am in need of the belt tensioner for my XLRV - located generally on the top front of the motor. Specific to the XLRV and STSV only.
Please contact me if you have one for sale or where I may find a used one.
Regards,
Scott
Scott8060@gmail.com

I think there are two. One is the supercharger belt, the other one of the drive belts. I rebuild the lower hydraulic a/c - power steering pulley tensioner. The one for the supercharger is discontinued .

Well that's a bummer... yet another spare discontinued. :confused:

BL04480.png

4 is " Accessory Drive Belt Tensioner Assembly. SERPENTINE TENSIONER.
This Fits Your 2008 Cadillac XLR V Convertible 4.4L Northstar V8 A/T
Part Number: 12598023
Supersession(s): 12589201 " ...and lists as available 'soon' from my perspective.

6 is "Accessory Drive Belt Tensioner Assembly. SERPENTINE TENSIONER.
This Fits Your 2008 Cadillac XLR V Convertible 4.4L Northstar V8 A/T
Part Number: 12582465 " ...sadly lists as discontinued.

I'd wager what you have can be rebuilt providing it's not physically broken. And though the GM drawings don't ever seem to be super-accurate, if the design is even similar to the available one, maybe a bit of swapping pieces would work.

HTH,

Gord :thumbsup

Problem is, it would have been nice to have a new one to figure the spring tension and size to try and match it up. With an old one your just guessing.too weak and the belt will flop around which will wipe out the supercharger front bearing. to strong and you will wear out the other idlers and the belt will fail shortly. It would be nice to have some old ones but they all got tossed. They are also not made to take apart and they are riveted together which can be duplicated.but your talking time and labor. Plus if the housing breaks your done. No used ones to be found. I found 50 hydraulic tensioners for the ac belt and thought that should ladt for years. In 6 months 1/2 of those are gone and the company is out of business that made the original.parts. even a simple thing like the bearing is custom size only sold to gm. I have to buy a complet tensioner off another car to cut it apart just to get the single bearing. Some of these very basic parts are going to get very expensive soon. Thats why i have said pick up your old parts when you get anything replaced and hang onto them

So true re holding on to old parts. At least then things -could- be built accordingly as time passes.

So what we need is someone with a low mileage V who's willing to remove a tensioner. Maybe during the winter when they don't really need it. Do a little ciphering, come up with a reasonable spring rate and then go searching. That shouldn't be too hard to do...anyone? Anyone?

I'd be tempted to make a 'manual' one actually. Set it, see if anything is slipping under load and adjust until correct. Then figure what sort of rate is required to give similar belt deflection.

Odd bearings is curious. Now I've dealt with that with sleeves or maybe custom shoulder bolts depending on the situation. It sure seems popular with the hot-rod crowd to have say, 'billet' pulleys, so one might think there's heaps of 'off the shelf' offerings to start with, not to mention just spinning one up or having it done.

What would be great would be to hear back from the original poster here - find out just what's up with the existing one and also if they've had any alternative success.

Gord :thumbsup

Thanks for all the responses. Once she goes up for the winter I will pull the tensioner and try to rebuild. It the pulley wheel bearing that is failing. Fortunetly my good friend is one of only two certified XLR mechanics in West Virginia so I may have a fighting chance to get the bearing replaced. If I find a resolve I will certainly report the solve to this forum.
Thanks again !!

Pretty sure the wheel can be replaced fairly easy. Dorman makes tons of sizes. Getting one in the correct size might be tricky but most likely since a slightly smaller or larger wont creat a problem you should be fine. I hope your tech friend is better than the last dozen i have dealt with. When told a part is discontinued And asked what do they suggest i get " I dont know". Haha way too many parts replacers and no mechanics left

Morning Scott - thank you for the update!

It would be awesome when you pull the thing off, to hook maybe a fishing scale to the wheel while the mount is anchored (I have an accidental marine theme happening here) :lol: , pull at right angles to the mount and see what the scale reads over a set distance (maybe an inch)? Not super scientific but then we'd know approximately what the torsion spring is like and perhaps then be able to come up with some reasonable solution for all... for when that day comes. Pictures would be lovely too.

In the interim, I'd be mighty tempted to pull the assembly and leave the pulley end soaking in some very light oil overnight. It's obviously not a perfect seal and it can be amazing what just a little lube will do.

Best wishes and thanks again Scott!

Gord

I know exactly what you mean...lol. I also have a local company that exclusively supplies bearings of all types. So I hope the XLR GODS are with me to help solve this one...lol
I keep you informed.
Have a great weekend!
Schmidt

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry