Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Z06 C6 wheels on XLR

micropimp

My XLR/V(s)
2005 Matte Black XLamboR
Im sure this has ben discussed MANY times but can not seem to find any CREDIBLE oR detailed info on this topic. This weekend I tried on some 2009 C6 wheels of a C6. Didnt really like the look, but maybe cause they were silver. They bolt up good but he only problem is that the rear tires (19x10) rubbed against the inner fender wall/ frame of the car. It seemed to rub only by a FEW militmeters. the tire was a 285/35 19. Now my question is.. I am looking at some C6 ZO6 wheels 19x10 rears 18x9.5 front. if i get a thinner tire for the rear.. will they fit on my XLR? I know there is a member here with those wheels.. does he have 18s all around or the staggered fitament? Or who can i order aftermarket wheels from at a good price? i dont want to spend over 2-3k on wheels, not to mention tires.:cool:

Members have went both ways a 18/8.5 all around and the staggered 18-19. With the 19 in rear believe you can only go to a 265. Can probably get away with a 1/4 spacer or less if you say it barely rubs. Keep us inform what style rim did u try?

Im sure this has ben discussed MANY times but can not seem to find any CREDIBLE oR detailed info on this topic.

https://www.xlr-net.com/forums/cadillac-xlr-general-discussion/5672-c6-wheels.html#post41686

https://www.xlr-net.com/forums/cadillac-xlr-parts-sale-wanted/5757-looking-someone-knowledge.html

I don't know how credible I am :squint:, but I run 255/40/18 tires on 18x8.5 all around and have my 265/30/18 race tires on 18x9.5 wheels with no clearance or rubbing issues. I have had 285/35/18 tires on either rim at one time or another and still cleared the wells except during hard cornering the 9.5 rears would rub the inner fender and the 8.5 rim was really too small for that large a tire. (the picture in my signature was taken when I had the 285 tires on the 8.5 rims)

This weekend I tried on some 2009 C6 wheels of a C6. Didnt really like the look, but maybe cause they were silver.

I'm with you on the 18x9.5 up front. They don't look good to me in the front, either.

They bolt up good but he only problem is that the rear tires (19x10) rubbed against the inner fender wall/ frame of the car. It seemed to rub only by a FEW militmeters. the tire was a 285/35 19.

As stated in other threads, I went with the 18x8.5 for two reasons: 1) they're cheap and can be rotated; 2) I knew I would be going through three sets of rear tires per year and didn't want to pay the exorbitant premium for 19" tires.

Now my question is.. I am looking at some C6 ZO6 wheels 19x10 rears 18x9.5 front. if i get a thinner tire for the rear.. will they fit on my XLR? I know there is a member here with those wheels.. does he have 18s all around or the staggered fitament?

Here's part of your answer:
Set of C6 Z06 wheels 18x9.5 front & 19x10 rear wrapped in Bridgestone Potenza 245/40R18 front & 265/35R19 rear.

Rears do rub slightly in the back with this setup against the inner fender well. By the time I got home, I could see the groove it left the the fender well and so I took the wheels off and lightly sanded the plastic down. Easy fix, no more rubbing.
If you ask me, anything less than a 265 on those 19" rims is gonna look stupid. And if you use spacers to get them away from the inner fender, they're going to be outside the outer fender.

Or who can i order aftermarket wheels from at a good price? i dont want to spend over 2-3k on wheels, not to mention tires.:cool:

Again, as stated elsewhere, MidAmericaMotorworks (MAM), home of Corvette Funfest has great deals on their Corvette wheels. And even better deals during the FunFest weekend. For example, what they have in their catalog today for $249.99 each (627-230-CO) plus tax and shipping, I paid less than $180 each including tax and shipping. Others here on the forum have also listed retailers with decent pricing as well.

As stated in other threads, I went with the 18x8.5 for two reasons: 1) they're cheap and can be rotated; 2) I knew I would be going through three sets of rear tires per year and didn't want to pay the exorbitant premium for 19" tires.

And this is the only drawback of having staggered wheels/tires. I cant rotate them at all, so it is a smarter choice to do as he did if you plan on driving it as much. I'm trying to keep the miles down, (SOOO hard to do!!), but its all personal choice.
But if I had your matte black XLR, I would get some flat black ZR1 wheels, and powdercoat the callipers red to dress it up a bit, just my opinion. Beautiful XLR, Love the wrap!

The offset has a lot to do with what will or will not fit. Also if you want rubber to be outside the wheel wells or not. Be aware that some of the cheap wheels may have excessive runout that can cause vibration and balancing problems. I had this very problem with Reproduction wheels and spent $200 in return shipping after they could not be balanced even after match mounting.

Thread Moved

Together,Elwood and his owner have more auto crossing /racing experience than 90% of other XLR's and owners, so in that way you can say that they have been earned their wreath.
How is Elwood going to take the news that he needs to go on a diet to reflect the " leaner mantra" of the Cadillac brand?

Let's see. Between the Z06 springs, HardBar lowering bolts and 265/35/18 tires lowers it 2 1/2 inches; the lip spoiler and the rear diffuser adds 6 inches longer; and bumping the boost back up to 24lbs of boost with sporadic 10.9 AFR is pretty lean. This year should be interesting.
Giz... You don't have any problems with the 265 width tires? You say 2 1/2 inches lowered, is that a combo of the tires and the lowering bolts? This makes me wonder if I can put 265/40-19's on my V (?)

I'm changing the subject of the tread here. Maybe I should have moved this question (?).

Done! In answer to your question 265/35/18s stand 25.2", whereas, the OEM tires are 27.2". Also remember these are on 18x9.5" rims. Using the HardBar bolts I can drop the ride height an additional 2-3", but I've learned the hard way that with good downforce up front, during hard braking I scrape my lip spoiler if its more than an 2". I also have to be extra careful on driveways/speedbumps. They fit under the fenders fine (as Phred would say - offset and backspacing is key), but like I explained above, bend (turn) them too hard and the fronts rub on the swaybar or the rears rub on the inner fender. You'll never get there on the street (we're talking close to .97 lateral Gs, I couldn't read my meter I was kinda busy) :reddevil

Hey!

I've still got 4 C-5 Corvette Wheels, with sensors, (18X8.5) Powder Coated Clear, With Rotella Tires, (about 50% tread) for sale, at more than a reasonable price!

Thread Moved

Done! In answer to your question 265/35/18s stand 25.2", whereas, the OEM tires are 27.2". Also remember these are on 18x9.5" rims. Using the HardBar bolts I can drop the ride height an additional 2-3", but I've learned the hard way that with good downforce up front, during hard braking I scrape my lip spoiler if its more than an 2". I also have to be extra careful on driveways/speedbumps. They fit under the fenders fine (as Phred would say - offset and backspacing is key), but like I explained above, bend (turn) them too hard and the fronts rub on the swaybar or the rears rub on the inner fender. You'll never get there on the street (we're talking close to .97 lateral Gs, I couldn't read my meter I was kinda busy) :reddevil

Any problem with rev/mile errors due to the shorter tire?

I'm still looking for either 8.5"+60-65mm or 9"+55mm in 19" or 20" that will work with a big brake kit. Considering going to a 255/35-20 instead of the current 255/40-19. Leaning more towards staying with the 19 for ride reasons. Chrome is much preferred. If it were not for wanting to fit bigger binders I would stick with stock.

Im sure this has ben discussed MANY times but can not seem to find any CREDIBLE oR detailed info on this topic. This weekend I tried on some 2009 C6 wheels of a C6. Didnt really like the look, but maybe cause they were silver. They bolt up good but he only problem is that the rear tires (19x10) rubbed against the inner fender wall/ frame of the car. It seemed to rub only by a FEW militmeters. the tire was a 285/35 19. Now my question is.. I am looking at some C6 ZO6 wheels 19x10 rears 18x9.5 front. if i get a thinner tire for the rear.. will they fit on my XLR? I know there is a member here with those wheels.. does he have 18s all around or the staggered fitament? Or who can i order aftermarket wheels from at a good price? i dont want to spend over 2-3k on wheels, not to mention tires.:cool:

Go with a 275/35/19. The rim 19x10 width should be enough to "roll" the tire enough to clear the inner liner. ;) Be careful, all tire company aren't the same.

Any problem with rev/mile errors due to the shorter tire?

I'm still looking for either 8.5"+60-65mm or 9"+55mm in 19" or 20" that will work with a big brake kit. Considering going to a 255/35-20 instead of the current 255/40-19. Leaning more towards staying with the 19 for ride reasons. Chrome is much preferred. If it were not for wanting to fit bigger binders I would stick with stock.

Yeah the speedo is off, but I have my GPSSpeed app.

Go with a 275/35/19. The rim 19x10 width should be enough to "roll" the tire enough to clear the inner liner. ;) Be careful, all tire company aren't the same.

What offset do you have on a 10" rim? A "normal" C6 rim with a 79mm offset will put the outer lip about the same as a stock XLR wheel, but the inner lip of the rim is 1.46" further in and will definitely not work. A 10" rim with a 40mm offset is near the opposite with the wheel 1.58" further out and outside the fender. The diameter, width AND offset are a must to know if you expect a wheel to fit. Then there is the issue of brake clearance which depends on the shape of the wheel.

One CANNOT say that ANY width wheel or a tire will or will not fit without taking everything into consideration.

Yeah the speedo is off, but I have my GPSSpeed app.

But it doesn't create problems with the TCS or other modules? I expect you have had everything tuned special. I've heard of problems with other cars with stock tunes after a significant change in the tire OD:dunno:

But it doesn't create problems with the TCS or other modules? I expect you have had everything tuned special. I've heard of problems with other cars with stock tunes after a significant change in the tire OD:dunno:

None at all. The tune currently have didn't mess with those (that I know of).

Hey Giz, I, for one, am sure I would NOT want to see you with OR without your speedo off... :chuckle:chuckle:blinzel:

Just wait....

What offset do you have on a 10" rim? A "normal" C6 rim with a 79mm offset will put the outer lip about the same as a stock XLR wheel, but the inner lip of the rim is 1.46" further in and will definitely not work. A 10" rim with a 40mm offset is near the opposite with the wheel 1.58" further out and outside the fender. The diameter, width AND offset are a must to know if you expect a wheel to fit. Then there is the issue of brake clearance which depends on the shape of the wheel.

One CANNOT say that ANY width wheel or a tire will or will not fit without taking everything into consideration.

Correct if I misunderstood the original question, but Mircropimp was referring to a specific wheel; that wheel being a 19x10 on a 285/35/19 that rubbed by a few mm on the inner wheel liner and that there was no other issues based upon(his) own words. :)

I went threw the whole c6 wheel decision. I originally tested a set of corvette take offs with no tires on. The fronts we all know cleared,but the rear 19/10 w79offset sat almost flush with the outer fender and the inside was about a 1/2 into the inner fender. It would of had serious problems. When i measured the actual rim lip to lip it measured a touch under 11"? I found that rim size is measured from the insides of the lips. I found another c6 wheel From factory reproduction that measured 19/9.5 w57 offset. I ran it threw a website "visual rim offset calculator" with a 265/35-19 and speed was almost right on and was only 11mm closer to the inner fender. Which then I went outside with a 11mm spacer put it to the tire and there was still like a 1/4" space. Thought good enough for me.
And after all that to go with a c6 wheel I ended up with a V wheel. Couldn't pass up the deal. Now they have a 255 on there now,but there's at least a 1/2 to 3/4" gap from tire to inner fender. I will definitely put a 265 on when need replacing. Maybe a 275 depending difference. They have a chrome rotor cover for z51's that covers the ugly inner area of the rotor that rust. It's a nice dress up piece that also will act as alittle shim/spacer.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom