Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Tires

paulc17

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Light Platinum XLR
Just celebrated the one month anniversery with my XLR. What an amazing machine.
Went to a summer car show held every Thursday night, at a local shopping center parking lot, and the XLR drew a lot of attention. It was the only one there.

On to my technical question:

I'm thinking of replacing the "run flat" tires. Any suggestions as to what would be the best replacement for handle, ride,etc.??

Just celebrated the one month anniversery with my XLR. What an amazing machine.
Went to a summer car show held every Thursday night, at a local shopping center parking lot, and the XLR drew a lot of attention. It was the only one there.

On to my technical question:

I'm thinking of replacing the "run flat" tires. Any suggestions as to what would be the best replacement for handle, ride,etc.??
Are you thinking of keeping the run flats? We have had this discussion several times and a majority of us keep the run flats. Personally I wouldn't want to get a flat on that car. I know that the run flats have helped us out once or twice. JMO.

In lieu of the run flats I was thinking of keeping a can of flat fix and a pump in the car. Similar to the one in my 08 CTS.

In lieu of the run flats I was thinking of keeping a can of flat fix and a pump in the car. Similar to the one in my 08 CTS.

I have heard some concern as to the affect of the "Fix-a-Flat" compound on the pressure sensors. Replacement of those is not cheap either.

I just purchased my second set of run-flats and couldn't think of having my wife run around without them. We've been saved a few times by having them.

XLR KEN

Just a note of caution (you may already know this, but...) the fix-a-flat will ruin your tire pressure monitor sensors.

Otherwise, most of us like the run flats, though there are a few who have replaced them with regular tires.

I've had pretty good luck buying tires online through eBay. Lots of folks buy a new car and change the wheels, leaving someone with a perfectly good set of 4 tires with no miles on them!

That's certainly one option. I personnally don't want all the 'gunk' on my rims; plus it does tend to settle--gravity you know and can make the wheel off balance. The Pirellis they put on the V's seem to be a little better than the Michelins on the standard XLR in my opinion. I don't know if they make them in your size however, you would have to check. As said before there is a thread on hear about others who have changed, do a search you shold be able to find it. Good luck in your research.

Run Flats

Thanks for all the feed back.

If I ever get a flat on my CTS, and I use the fix-it and pump, I guess Cadillac will have to replace the tire sensor (under warantee) if it's damaged.

I'll probably stick to the present tires for now.

Thanks.

Thanks for all the feed back.

If I ever get a flat on my CTS, and I use the fix-it and pump, I guess Cadillac will have to replace the tire sensor (under warantee) if it's damaged.

I'll probably stick to the present tires for now.

Thanks.

I doubt Cadillac would replace the tire sensors if you use the fix-it and pump. They probably someplace in the manual warn against it and if you use it that will cancel your warranty. I just replaced my tires and put right back on the same as the originals. Love my run flats even though I have not had a flat on the XLR

I doubt Cadillac would replace the tire sensors if you use the fix-it and pump. They probably someplace in the manual warn against it and if you use it that will cancel your warranty. I just replaced my tires and put right back on the same as the originals. Love my run flats even though I have not had a flat on the XLR

First Robin is correct....Cadillac nor any other dealer for that matter will replace the "Tire Pressure Sensors" under warranty if fix a flat or any other similar product is used.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom