Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Auto Racing

Cadillac Tech

Seasoned Member
get-attachment.aspx

Corvette Racing to Return to Le Mans in 2010

Corvette Racing Confirms Full-Season ALMS Schedule, Revises Endurance Racing Driver Lineup

DETROIT, Feb. 9, 2010 – Corvette Racing will take on its most formidable challenge to date when it competes in the GT2 class at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in Le Mans, France, on June 12-13. The twin Compuware Corvette C6.R race cars are among the 17 entries in the GT2 class invited by the Automobile Club de l'Ouest (ACO), organizers of the classic endurance race.

Corvette Racing has scored six wins in the GTS/GT1 class at Le Mans since 2001, including a victory in last year's race. The GT2 version of the Corvette C6.R, which is based on the production Corvette ZR1, made its competition debut in August 2009, competing in five American Le Mans Series events and scoring the team's first GT2 win at Mosport International Raceway. The list of invitees in the GT2 class for Le Mans includes two Corvettes C6.Rs, five Porsche 911 GT3 RSRs, two BMW M3s, a Jaguar XKRS, five Ferrari 430 GTs, an Aston Martin Vantage, and a Spyker C8.

"We are pleased and honored that the new GT2 Corvette C6.R has been invited by the Automobile Club de l'Ouest to compete in the world's most prestigious sports car race," said GM Racing manager Mark Kent. "Our objective is to carry forward Corvette's legacy of success as we celebrate the 50th anniversary of Corvette's first participation at Le Mans. This year's race will certainly be a challenge because of the depth and quality of the competition in the GT2 division. The entries represent the world's most storied sports car brands and underscore the relevance and value of racing production-based cars."

Corvette Racing will also compete with two cars in the full nine-race ALMS schedule in 2010, starting with the 58th Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring on March 20.

"While Corvette is truly a global brand, our most important market is North America," said Corvette Racing program manager Doug Fehan. "Our participation in the American Le Mans Series is both a proving ground for our technology and a showcase to demonstrate Corvette's capabilities for our customers and fans."

Corvette Racing's driver lineup has been revised with the addition of Emmanuel Collard alongside Oliver Gavin and Olivier Beretta for three long-distance races (Sebring, Le Mans, and Petit Le Mans). Antonio Garcia will return as the third driver with Johnny O'Connell and Jan Magnussen in endurance events. Canadian Ron Fellows, a charter member of Corvette Racing, will continue with the team in an ambassadorial role.

Collard, 38, of Champs sur Marne, France, has scored multiple victories in the Sebring 12-hour, Daytona 24-hour, Le Mans 24-hour, and Spa 24-hour races. He is a two-time Le Mans Series champion, and drove for the Cadillac LMP team in 2000-02.

"We are pleased to welcome Emmanuel back to the GM Racing family," said Fehan. "He has proven his ability at all levels of racing, and he understands the demands and discipline of endurance racing. He will be a valuable addition to our international lineup of championship-winning drivers."

"I'm very happy to join Corvette Racing for the 2010 endurance classics," said Collard. "Corvette has been the most successful car make and team in GT racing for over ten years now, so I'm obviously thrilled to be a part of this team. The Corvette C5-R and C6.R have been the absolute benchmarks in GT1 racing, and the new GT2 Corvette C6.R is already heading in that same successful direction. I hope my experience with GT2s from the past seasons can help Corvette secure class wins in the three endurance races."

Corvette Racing also is continuing its longstanding relationships with its sponsors and technical partners in the new season. Compuware is the team's primary sponsor for the eighth consecutive season, and Michelin, Mobil 1, XM Satellite Radio, UAW-GM, Genuine Corvette Accessories, Bose, Motorola, PRS Guitars, and BBS are continuing their support for America's premier production sports car team.

"Compuware software and experts ensure that our customers' most demanding business applications perform at their best," said Compuware Chairman and CEO Peter Karmanos, Jr. "Partnering with General Motors, Chevy and the Corvette Racing team gives Compuware another dynamic opportunity to deliver peak performance and winning results. Like the Corvette Racing team, Compuware stands for uninterrupted, optimal performance – whatever the environment – and we look forward to producing another great year on the track."

Corvette Racing’s next event is the season-opening Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring at Sebring International Raceway in Sebring, Fla., on March 20, 2010. The 12-hour endurance race will be televised live on SPEED.

Daytona 500

Who are you picking to win the 500 today? I would like to see Mark Martin, Tony Stewart, Max Papis or Boris Said get the win.

From Corvettemotorsport.com:

Manu Collard returns to GM Racing in 2010

collard.jpg

"Hello everyone. In my last column, I told you before that I worked on various projects for the coming season. I can now tell you a little more, as you found out last week, I will be driving for the factory Corvette Racing team in 2010!… Needless to say I am delighted and highly motivated ...

"I am returning to General Motors: After several years ago with Cadillac. At the time, it was with a prototype and the relationship with the team was very good. I was pleased to receive the call from Doug Fehan a few weeks ago. I think they know me well, they know what my mindset and approach is to the race. Its obviously a pleasure and an honor, but it is also relatively rare. Admittedly, this is "only" three races..but what races they are indeed! Sebring, Le Mans and Petit Le Mans. A wild threesome, which I am involved with a car capable of winning. It was more an important factor in my decision. It's GT2, but it is one of the most competative, if not more challengins. I believe it was well in this class there will be more manufacturers represented. My aim is for victory in a competition of this level is a great challenge. I prefer to fight and to impose myself in GT2 with Corvette, compared to playing tenth place in an LMP1 of a private team.

"Furthermore, I must confess that I am anxious for Sebring and Petit Le Mans. More importantly Sebring especially since I won the last time I went! The fight promises to be harsh with opponents with Ferrari, Porsche or BMW. The Corvette GT2 has already shown its qualities and I am sure it will be competitive. I wait to discover and it will be soon. As for my teammates, I think you already know their qualities. I know a little about Oliver (Gavin), but more about Olivier (Beretta). With Olivier, we know eachother from the the time of the F3, the F3000, which then Endurance has often crossed. He is someone I like. I got the phone recently and he told me that the atmosphere is excellent within the (factory) Corvette Racing team. I think those three races promise much. I am eager to discover all this, to see within this team that has won all these years!

"A word about Corvettes in general, this will not be my first time. In fact, I already drove a Chevy, it was in 2003 during a test aboard the C5-R. So I will soon take the wheel of his "little sister". But before that, I have some interesting things in preparation."

Emmanuel Collard will make his Le Mans debut for Corvette this June.

http://www.corvette-motorsport.com/news/manu-collard-returns-to-gm-racing-in-2010-198

It was a cold weekend down there at the Daytona 500.
rained all day friday ..truck race posponed til saturday at 6:00

Sunday was a joke...you own a racetrack with asphalt surface...the track gets a small pothole and you don't know how to fix it !!!!

first it takes 2 hours to try a cold patch that doesnt work then you start experimenting on what to do next.

Froze our butts off..woke up to 35 degrees and at the end of the race was around 45 degrees

anyway I picked Clint Boyer

It was a cold weekend down there at the Daytona 500.
rained all day friday ..truck race posponed til saturday at 6:00

Sunday was a joke...you own a racetrack with asphalt surface...the track gets a small pothole and you don't know how to fix it !!!!

first it takes 2 hours to try a cold patch that doesnt work then you start experimenting on what to do next.

Froze our butts off..woke up to 35 degrees and at the end of the race was around 45 degrees

anyway I picked Clint Boyer

But... you still had fun, right???

get-attachment.aspx

Corvette Racing Sebring Test Photos Now Available

Photographs of Corvette Racing's preseason test at Sebring International Raceway are now available:

http://gm.wieck.com/forms/gm/*query?2010gmracing&source=all

Corvette Racing is preparing for the season-opening round of the 2010 American Le Mans Series, the Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring, to be held in Sebring, Fla., on March 20. Corvette Racing will compete in the GT (formerly GT2) class against entries representing Porsche, Ferrari, BMW, Jaguar, and Ford. Corvette Racing drivers Johnny O'Connell, Jan Magnussen, and Antonio Garcia are testing the No. 3 Compuware Corvette C6.R. Oliver Gavin, Olivier Beretta, and Emmanuel Collard are testing the No. 4 Compuware Corvette C6.R.

get-attachment.aspx

get-attachment.aspx

From Corvettemotorsport.com:

Today (2nd of March) Corvette Motorsport debuted their 2nd of 3 review films from last years 2009 European racing season. The film takes you behind the scenes at Le Mans from the perspectives of the factory Corvette Racing and Corvette Motorsport Luc Alphand Aventures teams. Apart from Le Mans, the film covers the 24 Hours of Spa, where Corvette gets its second win at the legendary Francorchamps track in Belgium.

The film can be seen at the following link:

http://www.corvettemotorsport.com/news/2009-review-film-part-2-204

Members of Corvette Racing share their passion for racing and what it means to represent Corvette in the American Le Mans Series (ALMS). Featured in the video are Mark Kent, manager, GM Racing, Gary Pratt, chief engineer and co-founder of Pratt & Miller engineering, and Doug Fehan, program manager, Corvette Racing. This is a preview of what to expect from the Corvette Racing Team as they document the ALMS season in their upcoming video series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiR066yPkUI&feature=youtu.be&a

From GM Media:

New Corvette Racing C6.R and Production Corvette ZR1 Represent the Culmination of More Than 10 Years of Technology Transfer

Updated C6.R to Race in 2010 Le Mans, 50 Years After Corvette’s First Appearance in Legendary Endurance Race

2010-03-03

DETROIT - Corvette Racing’s second-generation C6.R will be powered by a new 5.5L production-based V-8, to compete in the new unified GT class in the 2010 American Le Mans Series as well as the GT2 class at the 24 Hours of Le Mans. The updated C6.R and the Corvette ZR1 on which it’s based represent the strongest link yet between a production Corvette and the modern Corvette Racing team. Both cars are well-equipped to compete on and off the track with showroom competitors including Aston Martins, BMWs, Porsches and Ferraris.

Corvette has a long history of production-based endurance racing, making its first appearance at the 12 Hours of Sebring in 1956, and its first appearance at Le Mans in 1960. Then Corvette chief engineer Zora Arkus-Duntov leveraged the racing program to improve the production Corvette, as evidenced by the development of heavy-duty and high-performance components and the introduction of the race-bred Z06 option on the 1963 Corvette Sting Ray.
The transfer of technology between racing and production cars resumed with the start of the modern Corvette Racing program in 1999. More than a decade later, it’s impossible to imagine one team without the other, according to Tadge Juechter, Corvette chief engineer:
“Simply put, without Corvette Racing, there would not be a Corvette Z06, much less the ZR1. And, without the foundation of the Corvette C6, Z06 and ZR1, the Corvette Racing team would not be the dominant presence in production-based racing.”
1999 – 2004: The C5-R acts as a catalyst for Corvette performance
Corvette Racing campaigned the C5-R from 1999 through the end of the 2004 season. The first-generation car scored 35 victories in 55 races, won its class at the 12 Hours of Sebring three consecutive years, posted three 1-2 finishes in the GTS class at the 24 Hours of Le Mans, and earned four consecutive ALMS manufacturers championships for Chevrolet.
It also served as a catalyst for Corvette performance.
In 1999, the fifth-generation Corvette C5 produced 345 horsepower from its 5.7L V-8. Leveraging the powertrain technologies developed for the C5R, Corvette brought back the hallowed Z06 moniker in 2001, packing a 385 horsepower 5.7L V-8.
In addition, the C5-R helped shape the sixth-generation Corvette, introduced for the 2005 model year. Corvette Racing’s influence could be seen in the C6 Corvette design, which featured flush headlights for better aerodynamics; a single, large grille opening for the engine air intake, radiator, and brake cooling; a lower coefficient of drag; and low 3,179 pound curb weight. Lessons from racing were also integrated in the 6.0L LS2 V-8, the most powerful standard Corvette engine to date, with 400 horsepower and 400 lb-ft of torque. As a result, the C6 Corvette delivered unprecedented performance, including a 186-mph top speed, acceleration from 0-60 mph in 4.1 seconds, and quarter-mile runs in 12.6 seconds at 114 mph.
2005 – 2009: The co-development of the C6.R and Z06
The C6 Corvette served as a foundation for the joint development of two new, high-performance Corvettes: the 2006 Corvette Z06 and the Corvette Racing C6.R, introduced in 2005.
Both cars were powered by 7.0L small-block V-8 engines, with dry-sump lubrication systems, CNC-ported aluminum cylinder heads, titanium valves, forged steel crankshafts, and plate-honed cylinder bores.
For the Z06, the collaboration translated into 505hp, 470 lb.-ft. of torque, and searing performance: 198-mph top speed, acceleration from 0 – 60 mph in 3.7 seconds, and quarter-mile runs in 11.7 seconds at 125 mph. Racing’s influence was also evident in the Corvette Z06 use of lightweight carbon fiber front fenders and wheelhouses, and aerodynamics package – including a front splitter, air extractors behind the front wheels, radiused trailing edges on the wheel openings, brake cooling scoops, widened rear fenders, rear diffuser, and spoiler.
For the C6.R, homologation on the Z06 translated into 42 wins, four consecutive ALMS drivers and manufacturers championships, and three victories at the 24 Hours of Le Mans.
2010: Introducing the second-generation C6.R, based on the ZR1
In the 2010 American Le Mans Series, Corvette Racing will compete in the series' production-based GT category (formerly GT2) and in the GT2 class at the 24 Hours of Le Mans with a second-generation C6.R that is homologated on the Corvette ZR1.
The GT rules require the use of many production-based components, making the ZR1 and C6.R the closest street and racing Corvettes since the 1960s.
Introduced for the 2009 model year, the ZR1 is the fastest, most powerful car ever produced by Chevrolet. To deliver 638 hp, the LS9 V-8 engines are hand-built using many of the processes developed by the race team. To deliver a 205-mph top speed, the ZR1 aerodynamics package also utilizes race technology – including wide carbon fiber front fenders with dual vents, a full-width rear spoiler, and a front splitter.
The updated C6.R utilizes the ZR1 body design, aerodynamic package, aluminum frame and chassis structure, steering system, windshield, and other components.
Aluminum frame: The new Corvette C6.R is built on the same aluminum frame rails that underpin production Corvette Z06 and ZR1 models. Other production chassis structures in the race car include the windshield frame, the hoop around the rear of the passenger compartment, the door hinge pillars, the drivetrain tunnel, the firewall, and the floor pan.
Steering system: The new Corvette C6.R utilizes the production steering column out of the ZR1, with a fully adjustable steering wheel, and production rack-and-pinion steering rack.
Body profile: The Corvette C6.R race car is now virtually identical to the Corvette ZR1 street car in appearance, as GT rules require production-type fenders with simple flares to accommodate wider tires.
Aerodynamics: The new C6.R utilizes the full-width, production rear spoiler from the ZR1, and a production-based ZR1 front splitter that extends 25mm, in contrast to the 80mm splitter allowed under the GT1 rules. Although the aerodynamics package does not produce the same levels of downforce as the GT1 car, the C6.R is more predictable over a wide range of speeds.
Where the C6.R and ZR1 differ significantly are in situations where GT rules actually prohibited the use of the more sophisticated ZR1 components. For example, the ZR1 is equipped with carbon-composite brake rotors, while GT regulations require ferrous (steel) brake discs. And, where the ZR1 utilizes a 6.2L, supercharged V-8, the C6.R will use a naturally aspirated small-block, production-based 5.5L V-8.
The Corvette C6.R race cars' 5.5-liter Chevrolet small-block V8s are developed, built and maintained by GM. The Corvette C6.Rs' LS5.5R is a naturally aspirated race engine, based on the Corvette Z06's 7.0-liter LS7 engine (which in turn was developed with the 7.0L race engine used in the C6.R GT1 cars), built on production cast-aluminum cylinder blocks.
Pending GT2 class regulations specify a maximum displacement of 5.5 liters, the reduction in displacement to meet this requirement was achieved by shortening the crankshaft stroke and reducing the cylinder bore diameter. In accordance with the regulations, the race engines have two 28.8mm diameter intake air restrictors. The LS5.5R engines are equipped with dry-sump oiling systems, CNC-ported aluminum cylinder heads with titanium intake and exhaust valves, and sequential electronic port fuel injection. The race engines use E85R ethanol racing fuel in the ALMS and E10 fuel in Le Mans.
Race on Sunday, Sell on Monday
Clearly, Corvette Racing’s success in production-based endurance racing has played a significant role in improving the performance of the production Corvette. In addition, as the racing and production cars have become more closely linked, Corvette Racing has also shown a positive impact in Corvette sales.
“Corvette sales tracked directly to customer leads at ALMS races have doubled from 2005 to 2009,” says John Fitzpatrick, Chevrolet Performance Cars marketing manager. “This proves what we have heard anecdotally from other Corvette owners: Watching production-based Corvettes win against legendary marques like BMW, Porsche and Ferrari, on legendary tracks like Sebring and Le Mans, makes Corvette all the more desirable.”
###​
2010 Corvette ZR-1 and Corvette Racing C6.R Specifications
2010 Corvette ZR1 2010 GT2 Corvette C6.R Displacement (L / ci): 6.2 / 376 5.5 / 336 Horsepower: 638 @ 6500 rpm 485 @5800 Torque (lb-ft): 604 @ 3800 rpm na Bore diameter (mm / in): 103.25 / 4.06 103.89 / 4.090 Crankshaft stroke (mm / in): 92 / 3.62 80.90 / 3.185 "V" angle (deg): 90 90 Cylinder bore spacing
(mm / ci): 111.7 / 4.40 111.7 / 4.40 Valvetrain: pushrod with overhead valves, titanium inlet pushrod with overhead valves, titanium inlet and exhaust Valves per cylinder: 2 2 Camshaft drive: chain chain Cylinder case material: aluminum aluminum Cylinder liners: dry iron aluminum Cylinder head material: aluminum aluminum, CNC ported Lubrication system: dry sump dry sump Fuel system: sequential EFI sequential EFI Throttle system: supercharged w/intercooler, throttle body individual runner Fuel: premium unleaded gasoline required E85R ethanol (ALMS)
E10 (Le Mans) Body style: two-door hatchback coupe two-door hatchback coupe Drivetrain: longitudinal front engine, rear-wheel drive longitudinal front engine, rear-wheel drive Chassis: hydroformed aluminum chassis, composite body hydroformed aluminum chassis, composite body Wheelbase (in): 105.7 105.7 Length (in): 176.2 176.2 Width (in): 75.9 78.6 Height (in): 49 45.9 Weight (lb): 3324 2745 Front suspension: independent, short/long arm double wishbone, cast aluminum controls, transverse-mounted composite leaf spring, monotube shock absorbers, anti-roll bar independent, short/long double wishbone, fabricated steel upper & lower, machined aluminum knuckle, coil-over multi-adjustable shock absorbers, anti-roll bar Rear suspension: independent, short/long arm double wishbone, cast aluminum control arms, transverse-mounted composite leaf spring, monotube shock absorbers; anti-roll bar independent, short/long arm double wishbone, steel fabricated upper & lower control arms, machined aluminum knuckle, coil-over multi-adjustable shock absorbers, anti-roll bar Brakes: front and rear power-assisted carbon-ceramic disc with 6-piston front and 4-piston rear calipers, cross-drilled rotors, ABS 4-wheel disc with monoblock calipers, steel rotors and ceramic composite pads Wheels (in): 19 x 10 (front); 20 x 12 (rear) 18 x 12.5 (front); 18 x 13 (rear) Tires: Michelin Pilot Sport 2
P285/30ZR19 (front),
P335/25ZR20 (rear) Michelin racing tires,
300/32-18 (front),
310/41-18 (rear) Fuel capacity (gal): 18 26.4
(29 @ ALMS E85R spec)

Corvette Racing - and the Corvette - continue on, but where to next?
March 10, 2010
Editor in Corvette, Peter M. De Lorenzo
© Richard Prince

I spent an enjoyable session out at Pratt&Miller Engineering last week listening to a Corvette Racing presentation about the transfer of technology between the Corvette Racing program and the production Corvette, and vice versa. As most of you are well aware, Pratt&Miller is the engineering firm that designs, builds, prepares and races the Corvette for GM Racing, and they not only have an incredible winning record - six victories at the 24 Hours of Le Mans, just to name one highlight - they are considered to be one of the premier companies involved in the racing business in the world today. So anytime I’m able to get a tour and get an up close look at the Corvette C6.Rs being prepared for the upcoming racing season, it’s a treat.

you’ve heard me rail about “relevance” in racing for years now. I believe that racing should be involved in advancing the development of technologies that eventually end up in the cars and trucks we use and enjoy every day. Which is why I abhor “spec” racing. We don’t learn anything by racing in a vacuum or by “detuning” racing cars every year in order to keep speeds down. We need to push the envelope, investigate new frontiers and keep moving the ball forward so that the cars and trucks of the future benefit from the new technological discoveries that racing can provide.

Which is exactly why the Corvette Racing program is so admirable. Chevrolet actually began listening to racers when the first Corvettes were prepared for competition in the late 50s. Zora Arkus-Duntov understood racing and racers, and he knew that by having driver/owners competing in Corvettes that ultimately Chevrolet would benefit, and the production Corvette would only get better. Corvette made its first appearance at the 12 Hours of Sebring in 1956 and its first appearance at Le Mans in 1960. Arkus-Duntov leveraged the racing program to improve the production Corvette, as evidenced by the development of heavy-duty and high-performance components and the introduction of the race-bred Z06 option on the 1963 Corvette Sting Ray. This continued throughout the 60s and 70s as Corvettes were raced in SCCA and endurance events like Sebring, Daytona and Le Mans. And that philosophy has continued on - for the most part - ever since. Oh, there have been “dark” periods when no Corvettes of substance competed on the world’s race tracks, but since 1999 - when the idea of a factory-supported Corvette racing program came to fruition - the production Corvette has been improved year-in and year-out by its ultra-successful racing program.

Don’t forget, too, that the Corvette Racing program that operates today represents basically the first time that GM has openly supported a racing program in its history. Yes, there has been factory involvement before, but even during the heyday of the fabulous Grand Sport Corvettes you have to understand that they were never officially entered by the factory in those years. The cars were always entered by people like John Mecum, Jim Hall and Roger Penske, so that there was no direct connection to the factory. Which is why the current Corvette Racing program is so significant.

Today, there is direct - and constant - communication on both sides of the ball between the Corvette Racing program and Corvette engineering.

This year Corvette Racing’s second-generation C6.R will be powered by a new 5.5L production-based V-8 to compete in the new unified GT class in the 2010 American Le Mans Series as well as the GT2 class at the 24 Hours of Le Mans. The updated C6.R - and the Corvette ZR1 on which it’s based - represent the strongest link yet between a production Corvette and the latest Corvette Racing team cars. More than a decade later, the racing team and production Corvette engineers work hand-in-hand to ensure that the production Corvette directly benefits from the racing program. “Simply put, without Corvette Racing, there would not be a Corvette Z06, much less the ZR1. And, without the foundation of the Corvette C6, Z06 and ZR1, the Corvette Racing team would not be the dominant presence in production-based racing,” said Corvette chief engineer Tadge Juechter.

Interesting little tidbit on how the production Corvette engineering team helps the racing team? The ACO (the organizers of the 24 Hours of Le Mans) requires air conditioning to be installed in all the cars because of the intense heat that can sometimes be a factor during the classic endurance race. Corvette Racing went to the production guys for help and they came up with an elegant solution in a system that worked perfectly. This year, they’ve delivered a smaller and lighter package that’s 40 percent more efficient. And lessons learned through that exercise are certainly going to be employed in the next Corvette to save weight.

So, what’s next for Corvette?

All of this technological transfer discussion is well and good, but with GM design chief Ed Welburn in the midst of sorting through design concepts from GM design centers all over the world for the next-generation C7, there is much conjecture and hand-wringing going on right now as to what configuration that car should take. I can safely say that the next-gen car will be at least 300-400 pounds lighter and be slightly more compact in exterior dimensions. The front engine rear-wheel-drive configuration will be retained for the mainstream Corvette, although the idea of a extremely limited production mid-engine supercar successor to the ZR1 to go up against the Ferrari 458 Italia, Porsche 918, etc., is still being considered. I have faith in Ed Welburn and his talented group of designers and I am certain we will be gifted with a jaw-droppingly stunning Corvette when it appears three years from now.

I also have faith in the engineers involved with the program and I’m certain we’ll have a new Corvette that bristles with advanced technology, while delivering high performance and high efficiency to boot.

But what about the Corvette Racing program?

It’s clear to me that the production-based category of international racing is only going to grow in importance. With cars like the aforementioned Ferrari gaining even more performance, it’s not hard to imagine that the prototype classes and production-based GT classes may in fact meet in the middle at some point, and we’ll see production-based, or at least production influenced cars from major manufacturers going for the overall win at the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

It’s also clear to me that Corvette Racing has to be taken to the next level. The Corvette Racing program should function as the technological tip of the spear for the corporation (it already it is, but too many at the RenCen are incapable of seeing it or are utterly clueless as to how to use it), and that means that its global reach has to be enhanced and magnified.

And to me, that means that the Corvette has to go for the overall win at Le Mans.

That would be a fitting next chapter after a glorious decade of success.

get-attachment.aspx

Corvettes Qualify Third and Fifth in Long Beach ALMS

Team Pleased with Performance in First Street Race for GT Corvette C6.R

LONG BEACH, Calif., April 16, 2010 – Corvette Racing's twin Compuware Corvette C6.R race cars qualified third and fifth for Saturday's American Le Mans at Long Beach in the first street race for the GT-spec Corvettes. Johnny O'Connell wheeled the No. 3 Corvette C6.R to a 1:20.308 lap (88.220 mph) around the 1.986-mile, 11-turn temporary bayside circuit. Olivier Beretta was fifth quickest in the GT class at 1:20.438 (88.078 mph) in the No. 4 Corvette C6.R.

Jaime Melo captured the GT pole with the quickest lap in the 20-minute session at 1:19.581 in Risi Competizione's Ferrari 430 GT. Four different manufacturers – Ferrari, Porsche, Chevrolet, and BMW – are represented in the top six qualifying spots.

"It's so hard to find that perfect lap around Long Beach," O'Connell said. "The car rolled off the trailer so good, and that's a testament to the strength of Corvette Racing's engineering staff. I think we might have tried a different tire compound for qualifying, but hindsight is always 20-20. The track had more rubber on it than when we practiced this morning, but the track temperature was up as well."

O'Connell turned his quickest time on his fourth lap, while Beretta recorded his best time on his third circuit.

"I had a clear track for the first three laps, then caught some traffic," Beretta said. "That doesn't help the tires to perform at their best because you'd like to keep the temperature up. Except for the Ferrari, qualifying was very close, and I think it will be a very close race as well.

"It was a good performance for Corvette Racing because this is the first time we've run the GT Corvettes on a street course," Beretta noted. "We didn't have a lot of time on the track at this event, so we will have to see what happens in the race tomorrow."

The pole-winning Ferrari enjoyed a .598-second advantage over the second quickest car. The next seven cars qualified within .408 seconds.

"We know the Ferrari is fast, and they showed that," said Corvette Racing program manager Doug Fehan. "They had a significantadvantage, but you can throw a blanket over the rest of the field.

"We've had some varying temperatures here, and we selected the tires that we thought would be good before the start of qualifying," Fehan reported. "We use qualifying as a test session as well, and that's valuable information for the race. This is the first time we've been on a street course with the new engine package and the new GT chassis, and I think the combination has performed well. Corvette Racing will be in the battle."

The American Le Mans Series at Long Beach will start at 4:40 p.m. PT on Saturday, April 17. The one-hour, 40-minute race will be televised same-day on SPEED at 8 – 10 p.m. ET.

American Le Mans Series at Long Beach GT Qualifying:
Pos./Drivers/Car/Time
1. Melo/Bruni, Ferrari 430 GT, 1:19.581
2. Sellers/Henzler, Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, 1:20.179
3. O'Connell/Magnussen, Chevrolet Corvette C6.R, 1:20.308
4. Bergmeister/Long, Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, 1:20.424
5. Gavin/Beretta, Chevrolet Corvette C6.R, 1:20.438
6. Auberlen/Milner, BMW E92 M3, 1:20.486
7. Mueller/Hand, BMW E92 M3, 1:20.564
8. Brown/Cosmo, Ferrari 430 GT, 1:20.587
9. Sharp/van Overbeek, Ferrari 430 GT, 1:21.346
10. Law/Neiman, Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, 1:21.457
11. Robertson/Murry, Ford GT, 1:21.960
12. Gentilozzi/Dalziel, Jaguar XKRS, 1:22.985

get-attachment.aspx

get-attachment.aspx

Corvette Races to Second in Long Beach Street Fight

Magnussen Recovers from Sixth to Take Runner-Up Finish

LONG BEACH, Calif., April 17, 2010 – Things were looking a little grim for Corvette Racing at the halfway point of the 100-minute American Le Mans at Long Beach, but Jan Magnussen battled back from sixth to a runner-up finish in the No. 3 Compuware Corvette C6.R. Magnussen and teammate Johnny O'Connell threaded their way through the unforgiving concrete barriers that line the Long Beach street circuit to finish four seconds behind the No. 45 Porsche of Pat Long and Joerg Bergmeister. The No. 4 Compuware Corvette of Oliver Gavin and Olivier Beretta was not so fortunate, finishing bruised and battered in ninth at the checkered flag.

"It was a fantastic team effort to finish where we did," said Magnussen. "With so little time on the race track, to have a race car this good shows just how strong Corvette Racing is."

The No. 3 Corvette C6.R made its single pit stop for fuel and four Michelin tires under caution at 57 minutes into the race. Needing less than half a tank of E85 ethanol to make it to the finish, the yellow Corvette came into the pits in third place but returned to the track in sixth.

"We had a small problem in the pit stop," Magnussen explained. "Because it was such a short pit stop, I wasn't able to get myself ready in the cockpit, so we lost positions in the pit lane. I knew exactly what had happened – I wasn’t upset, I was just motivated to get back to the front. I had a great car and I was able to take back the positions one by one."

Magnussen gained a spot when the class-leading Ford GT pitted. The two BMWs had gambled on running the race without a tire change, and Magnussen was able to pass the No. 90 BMW going into the Turn 11 hairpin to take third with 11 minutes left in the race. With the four frontrunners running nose-to-tail, Magnussen stalked the No. 92 BMW on the back straight and made the pass stick in Turn 9 with two minutes remaining. He set off in pursuit of the No. 45 Porsche, but ran out of time before the checkered flag.

O'Connell had started the opening stint from third on the GT grid, lost a spot at the start, and then passed the No. 45 Porsche to retake third. He held that position behind the No. 17 Porsche of Wolf Henzler and the pole-winning No. 62 Ferrari of Jaime Melo to the fateful first pit stop.

"It's hard when you have a street race with different categories sharing the same track," O'Connell said. "I think we were competitive and as fast as anyone, but traffic would separate the GT cars and then it was difficult to make that back up. You hope for a caution to open an opportunity, and as things worked out, I think we can be proud of a fine result."

The No. 4 Corvette started fifth, and Olivier Beretta had moved up to fourth by the 30-minute mark, but an encounter with a tire barrier damaged the front bodywork and driver's door, dropping Beretta to eighth. Gavin took over the No. 4 Corvette at 46 minutes, but had to make two subsequent pit stops for additional repairs.

"There was confusion at the front, and one of the Porsches braked early," Beretta reported. "I jumped on the brakes, tried to slow down, missed a gear, and lost the car. I was in the wrong place at the wrong moment."

"A ninth-place finish certainly wasn't what anybody wanted," said Gavin. "It seems like the No. 4 Corvette can't a break at the moment. The car was good, even with the damage we had, but realistically we weren't going to move up in the finishing order and I just brought it home without risking the car. There were cars spinning off right and left in front of me, and a car even spun into the wall in front of me behind the pace car!

"It's great that our sister car got a fantastic finish here and Jan and Johnny have got themselves back in the hunt. So now it's on to Laguna Seca with the hope that our fortunes will soon turn around."

Corvette Racing program manager Doug Fehan reflected on the race: "It was an absolutely awesome effort today by the crew and drivers," he said. "In order to compete with the best, you have to believe you're the best. Today we raced against the best, and we had a very, very good outcome."

Corvette Racing’s next event is the American Le Mans Monterey at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca on Saturday, May 22. The six-hour race will start at 2:30 p.m. PT and will be televised by CBS Sports on May 29 at 1:30 p.m. ET.

American Le Mans Series at Long Beach GT Results:
Pos./Drivers/Car/Laps
1. Bergmeister/Long, Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, 65
2. O'Connell/Magnussen, Chevrolet Corvette C6.R, 65
3. Auberlen/Milner, BMW E92 M3, 65
4. Melo/Bruni, Ferrari 430 GT, 65
5. Mueller/Hand, BMW E92 M3, 65
6. Sellers/Henzler, Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, 65
7. Sharp/van Overbeek, Ferrari 430 GT, 65
8. Brown/Cosmo, Ferrari 430 GT, 64
9. Gavin/Beretta, Chevrolet Corvette C6.R, 63
10. Robertson/Murry, Ford GT, 62
11. Gentilozzi/Dalziel, Jaguar XKRS, 45
12. Law/Neiman, Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, 28

get-attachment.aspx

get-attachment.aspx

Jan Magnussen in second place in California
clearpixel.gif
clearpixel.gif
By Jan Magnussen Presse - Jan Kaiser - 18-04-2010 Jan Magnussen - Long Beach.
clearpixel.gif
Jan Magnussen in second place in California - May have trouble getting home for the DTC seasonopener

Jan Magnussen drove a fantastic race in his Corvette C6.R in the street race at Long Beach in California, when the second round of the American Le Mans Series took place Sunday night Danish time. With 45 minutes left of the 100-minute race Jan Magnussen took over the Corvette from Johnny O'Connell, who came into the pits in third place. Unfortunately, Jan Magnussen had problems with getting the steering wheel back in place on the car and when he left the pits, he had fallen back to sixth place. In a street race, that is known for being hard to overtake, things didn’t look too good for Magnussen. But one after another he passed the other competitors and with only two minutes left, he passed the second placed BMW and the second place was in the bag, but with too little time left to do anything about the leading Porsche.

"It was really close racing," Jan Magnussen said after the race tonight. "At one point we were like pearls on a string, but it was really hard to pass. I had a good fight with the Ferraris and the BMW and made some good passes, which was cool. Unfortunately, it's a short race compared to what we usually do, so there was not enough time to get past the leading Porsche. The short race also meant that our pit stop was shorter than usual because we do not have to bring on as much fuel as usual. Thus, there was less time for the driver change and we got a problem getting the steering wheel back on because the front wheels were a little crooked. Too bad, but that is unfortunately one of the things that can happen. "

Jan Magnussen has like millions of others, problems with getting home because of airspace closedown. Because of the ash cloud his flight from Los Angeles Sunday was canceled and it is still not certain when Jan Magnussen can get the flight home. That makes his appearance the opening race in the DTC series in doubt. "It is obviously very, very irritating" Jan Magnussen said. "We haven’t had any previous tests with the BMW and the new team Perfection Racing and now it seems that I can’t get home for the only testday we have before the race on Sunday. But that is the smallest concern I have right now, because it does not look like being easy to get home for the race. But I keep monitoring the situation hour by hour and hope for the best. "

http://www.janmagnussen.com/news.asp?NewsID=1271694771

http://webmail.aol.com/31509-111/ao...ent.aspx?uid=1.28080560&folder=Inbox&partId=5

From ALMS, posted by CorvetteBlogger.com:

SERIES ANNOUNCES ITS 'GREEN DREAM TEAM'

Believed to be first in sports!

2010-04-16

GreenDreamTeam_1_041610.jpg

The American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patrón today unveiled its “Green Dream Team”, a collection of five drivers who will serve as the Global Leader in Green Racing’s ambassadors for its green racing initiatives. The announcement is believed to be the first of its kind in sports addressing the concerns of the global warming, the environment and reducing dependence on foreign fuels and energy sources.

The drivers comprising the Green Dream Team represent five distinct voices of varying initiatives in a movement that began in 2006. It has resulted in the world’s premier sports car series approving and racing five alternative fuels by all competitors in its field.

Paul Drayson drives and operates Drayson Racing. Drayson is an official lord – Lord Drayson – in Great Britain’s Parliament and serves as that country’s Minister of Science and Innovation. Prior to that post, he was Great Britain’s Minister of Defense Procurement. He is a leading voice worldwide on environmental issues as they pertain to alternative fuels and energies. His Lola-Judd prototype competes on cellulosic E85, a second generation bio-fuel.

David Brabham is often considered the founder of the Series’ green movement via a letter he wrote to Founder Don Panoz and President/CEO Scott Atherton in 2004, suggesting the Series seriously consider alternative fuels as a strategy. Brabham, who is the Series’ reigning champion for Patrón Highcroft Racing, also was a member of the overall winning team last year at the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Patrón Highcroft races using E10, virtually the same fuel that consumers purchase at the service station.

Johnny O’Connell races for Corvette Racing, a team that was the first to announce in 2008 that it would compete using cellulosic E85. It not only won a GT1 class championship that season, but it also was the inaugural winner of the Green Challenge™, an award created by the U.S. Department of Energy, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and SAE International for teams that scored best in fuel efficiency, environmental impact and overall performance. O’Connell has started more American Le Mans Series races than anyone in its history, 103. He has a collective 14 wins in the world’s top endurance classics – the Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring, Petit Le Mans and the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

Chris Dyson drives for and is a principal of Dyson Racing. The BP-supported team that races a Mazda-powered Lola prototype made history last fall when it became the first race car ever to race (unclassified) using the biofuel, isobutanol. The American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patrón made isobutanol its fifth officially approved energy source at the beginning of the 2010 season. Dyson is a former Series champion (2003) in LMP2.

Gunnar Jeannette at 18 became the youngest driver ever to complete the 24 Hours of Le Mans. This season, he drives for G-Oil’s Green Earth Team Gunnar in the new LMP Challenge class. His ORECA FLM09 competes using Green Earth Technologies’ G-Oil, a biodegradable fuel made from beef tallow. G-Oil is also the official motor oil of the American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patrón and the International Motorsports Association (IMSA), the Series’ sanctioning body.

As members of the “Green Dream Team”, drivers will represent the Series at events promoting its position as the Global Leader in Green Racing. These will include Green Tech Talks to fans at track, promotional events and media messaging outlets such as in-broadcast telecasts, blogs, Twitter and various Web site initiatives. The group will also collaborate to devise various opportunities for additional teams and fans to become involved and embrace the concept of green racing.

“Green Racing does not mean boring,” emphasized Drayson. “It’s high-tech, high-drama racing with the latest technology in cars, engines, fuels and tires competing in the frantic class battles of the American Le Mans Series. It’s an extreme speed R&D lab where we learn how speed and efficiency on track translates into better cars on the street.”

The “Green Dream Team” was announced by Series President and CEO Scott Atherton at the “Race Goes Green” conference in Long Beach hosted by SEMA and the Motorsport International Association as part of the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach, site of Saturday’s Tequila Patrón American Le Mans Series at Long Beach. Air time for SPEED’s live broadcast of the race is scheduled for 8 p.m. ET (5 p.m. local).

About the American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patrón
The American Le Mans Series, based in Braselton, GA, is the world’s leading sports car series. In the tradition of the 24 Hours of Le Mans, multiple classes of cars – Prototype and Grand Touring – race on the track at the same time to create compelling race action and constant passing. The Series has more automobile marques involved than any other major race series in the world as manufacturers develop relevant technologies on track that transfer directly to the customer showroom. All cars in the Series race on one of five alternative fuels or energy sources (see above). It operates a nine-race schedule in top markets throughout North America.

About the MICHELIN® Green X® Challenge
The MICHELIN® GREEN X® Challenge, developed in cooperation with the U.S. Department of Energy, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and SAE International is a race within the race at all American Le Mans Series events. All entries compete with E10 ethanol-blended gasoline; E85R gasoline-blended ethanol, GTL (natural gas to liquid) biodiesel, E10-electric hybrid power or isobutanol gasoline. Teams win by delivering the best overall performance, fuel efficiency and smallest environmental impact throughout the race. Using a formula developed by the Argonne National Labs that includes more than 30 different factors, real-time standings are posted on timing and scoring screens throughout the race. The American Le Mans Series is the only series currently recognized as “Green Racing” by the U. S. Department of Energy; Environmental Protection Agency and SAE International. The MICHELIN® GREEN X® Challenge trophies are presented to the respective Prototype and GT winners. The bases for the unique MICHELIN® GREEN X® Challenge trophies are made of rubber recycled from MICHELIN® GREEN X® labeled consumer tires.

Long Beach 2010
Added 04/21/10
It is always fun going to Long Beach, as I did a lot of my early racing in southern California and I get the opportunity to run across old friends. But for us in the American Le Mans Series, the race is always a challenge as we never get good track time, and the importance of rolling off the truck with a good race car is unreal important. At Corvette Racing we have the most amazing engineers, and we had a good car from the get go.
It was my turn to qualify, and I was pleased to get third. My tires went off more than I expected them too, and got held up some on my best lap, but all in all I felt we were in good position. The Ferrari as I expected was very fast and got the pole, and then Wolf Henzler in the Kumho Tire Porsche was very fast as well. They really have stepped up on their tires, and I think they will be a force to recon with all year.
My stint for the most part was pretty uneventful. There was hard racing between the Ferrari and Porsche right in front of me, and early in the race I was content to just hold position and see what would happen. Jorg in the 45 car was behind me, but lacked just a tic of pace so I wasn’t that concerned with him. My only big problem was when a LMPC car got between myself and the Ferrari and Porsche and held me up for about 4 laps. That cost me a lot of time and at about an hour into the race there was a full course caution which bunched us all up again and allowed everyone to stop.
Jan got into the car, and having a tic of problem getting the steering wheel on, restarted in 6th. Knowing how hard it would be to work through traffic I knew he would have a challenge ahead of him. Both BMW’s did not take tires on their stop and as a result they were first and second…. But would have their hands full when things went green not having good tires.
Jan did an awesome job working back to the front, and managed to get up to second. So for us a great rebound from Sebring. The 45 car of Jorg and Patrick Long ended up winning, and they both drove a great race, had a good pit stop, and I know that all year we will have good battles with them.
As always the guys on Corvette Racing, did an awesome job. Where the paddock was set up was a complete embarrassment as there was virtually no room for the guys to work on the car, and I know how frustrated they must have been. I barely heard them complain though, and instead did what they always do which is give us great cars and 100 percent effort.
The next thing on our schedule is to do some testing in preparation for Le Mans. As always that race is the cornerstone of our season, and we plan on being totally ready for the job we need to do. A new challenge for sure for us being in GT 2 and we plan on getting another win for Corvette and America. But before then we also have a race to run at Laguna. I know that both Jan and I feel that place owes us one, and count on everyone on the #3 car being ready, and as hungry as ever….
Johnny O
http://www.johnnyoconnell.com/

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry