Site Administrator
My XLR/V(s)
Not yet!
2009 Cadillac CTS-V

A $100,000 sports car with two extra doors for $60,000

By Malcolm Gunn
Wheelbase Communications
Friday, December 5, 2008

It's an executive-class Cadillac with the heart of a Corvette sports car. And for the high-performance 2009 CTS-V, that heart is bigger and beats a whole lot stronger.

The "V" is Cadillac's ultimate expression of a sports luxury coach and represents the brand's (and parent General Motors') latest attempt to dethrone some of the mightiest four-door hot rods around, including Germany's top-performing sedans that boast well-earned performance pedigrees.

Cadillac's "V" series of cars, encompassing the larger STS-V sedan and XLR-V two-seater, have also helped change the opinions of many who once considered GM's upscale division as a builder of dull and dowdy cruisers.

The original CTS-V that was launched for the 2004 model year was the first to dispel that notion. With it's 400-plus horsepower Chevrolet-Corvette-based V8, there was at long last a Caddy that could run, steer and stop with the big dogs and look great doing it.

The 2009 version, however, represents much more than simply the next rung up the performance ladder. It's a giant leap into the stratosphere where the 500-horsepower BMW M5, 507-horsepower Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG and the Audi S6 with a "mere" 435 horsepower on tap come to play.

Against this trio, Cadillac brags that the new CTS-V is its most powerful production model offered in the marque's 106-year history. In fact, the supercharged 556-horsepower 6.2-liter cam-in-block LS-series V8 is similar to that of the new 2009 Corvette ZR1, which makes 638 horses. Both use a belt-driven supercharger mounted to the top of the engine to compresses incoming air, which in turn boosts power levels to mind-blowing levels. By contrast, the larger STS-V's high-tech overhead-cam supercharged engine is all Cadillac, an offshoot of the Northstar 32-valve design. Displacing just 4.4 liters - 35 percent less than the CTS-V - it makes 469 horsepower.

Unlike the original CTS-V, the 2009 four-door can be ordered with an optional six-speed automatic transmission with steering-wheel-mounted shifter paddles. Still standard is a six-speed manual gearbox that has been strengthened to take 551 pound-feet of torque.

Cadillac claims a zero-to-60-mph time of less than four seconds, chopping a full second off the previous CTS-V's time.

Being that quick, however, means the CTS-V has to stop, like, right now. Braking comes via Brembo, an Italian company with its roots in racing. The front rotors measure a whopping 15 inches (squeezed by six-piston calipers) while rears spec out at 14.7 inches (mated to four-piston calipers).

Also featured is Magnetic Ride Control that constantly adjusts the degree of shock damping by varying the electric current traveling through what amounts to liquid metal. This makes the V soft over the bumps while helping it hold on to the road during high-load corning maneuvers. The system can also be manually adjusted to either Tour and Sport (firm) mode.

All the CTS-V's mechanical components went through a rigorous fine-tuning process at Germany's Nürburgring race course, a 14-mile track featuring dramatic elevation changes, tight corners and extended straightaways. It's used by numerous high-performance manufacturers for sorting out their equipment.

Distinguishing CTS-V visual cues include a nose that effectively doubles the amount of fresh air directed to engine bay and front brakes. The brightly coated wire-mesh-style grille is a bit excessive, but highly noticeable, as is the 19-inch wheel-and-tire package and the raised hood enveloping the supercharger.

As expected, the $60,000 CTS-V contains plenty of upscale appointments while offering only a limited number of options such as a set of 14-way adjustable Recaro-brand front seats and a generously sized sunroof.

The CTS-V is a serious luxo-tourer that deserves top honors for tackling some formidable competitors while demonstrating Cadillac's capability for creating a fast-class automobile.

What you should know: 2009 Cadillac CTS-V

Type: Four-door, rear-wheel-drive luxury sedan

Engine: 6.2-liter OHV V8, supercharged (556 hp)

Transmissions: Six-speed manual; six-speed automatic (opt.)

Market position: German-made vehicles lead the way in the high-performance sedan segment, but Cadillac has brought some North American flavor to this exclusive club.

Points: More power than you'll ever use other than on a race track; easily the best-looking Cadillac in the fleet; not just a big engine: performance profile extends to suspension, braking and wheels/tires; standard luxury touches will keep competition on its toes; AWD option would make this Caddy a world beater; makes $60,000 look like a screaming deal.

Safety: Front airbags; side-impact airbags; side-curtain airbags; anti-lock brakes; traction control; stability control.

The numbers: MPG (city/hwy)13/19 (MT); Base price: $60,000 (including destination)

By comparison

BMW M5

Base price: $85,900

Ultra-quick 500-horse V10 with automated manual gearbox.

Audi S6

Base price: $72,350

The only AWD sedan of the bunch, roomy, luxurious and fast.

Mercedes-Benz E63

Base price: $88,500

AMG goodies turn this sedan into a hard-charging hot rod.

Points: More power than you'll ever use other than on a race track; easily the best-looking Cadillac in the fleet; not just a big engine: performance profile extends to suspension, braking and wheels/tires; standard luxury touches will keep competition on its toes; AWD option would make this Caddy a world beater; makes $60,000 look like a screaming deal.

Please. . .give me a break!!!

Floyd (BB)

Come on now Floyd, give the man his dues. That's going to be one hoot of a machine, especially in the coupe. I may just cross over if there still doing business. I never thought our XLR's looked that good with the top down so mine is up most of the time...........that's when I get most of my compliments. My daughter is saving for her black cherry CTS-V as we speak.:blinzel:

Please. . .give me a break!!!

Floyd (BB)

Come on now Floyd, give the man his dues. That's going to be one hoot of a machine, especially in the coupe. I may just cross over if there still doing business. I never thought our XLR's looked that good with the top down so mine is up most of the time...........that's when I get most of my compliments. My daughter is saving for her black cherry CTS-V as we speak.:blinzel:

Nope, sorry, Bobbbbo, I really can't see the appreciation for this very homely car! Power is one thing, of course, but would you take a walk to your garage to just have a look at it? I know many of us do it now just to look at the very beautiful XLR.

Floyd (BB)

http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=_undefined How do I get so many b's in my name. Is this a good thing or a baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad thing.http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=_undefined
I never go downstairs to the garage and look at my V and hardly notice it when I take out the garbage. I don't turn around and look at it when I get out of it or look in store windows at my car passing by. I know I have a good looking vehicle and I let the others do the looking and applauding and show their appreciation. That makes me feel like a Rock Star. Having the pink slip makes me feel even better even though it's not worth half of what I paid for it. and will continue to decline. Who knows it may be the last car I ever have, after all I'm seventy-five.
So getting back to the homely car you mentioned. This is why they make different kinds of auto's to appease everyones appetite.:blinzel:
Nope, sorry, Bobbbbo, I really can't see the appreciation for this very homely car! Power is one thing, of course, but would you take a walk to your garage to just have a look at it? I know many of us do it now just to look at the very beautiful XLR.

Floyd (BB)

How do I get so many b's in my name. Is this a good thing or a baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad thing.
I never go downstairs to the garage and look at my V and hardly notice it when I take out the garbage. I don't turn around and look at it when I get out of it or look in store windows at my car passing by. I know I have a good looking vehicle and I let the others do the looking and applauding and show their appreciation. That makes me feel like a Rock Star. Having the pink slip makes me feel even better even though it's not worth half of what I paid for it. and will continue to decline. Who knows it may be the last car I ever have, after all I'm seventy-five.
So getting back to the homely car you mentioned. This is why they make different kinds of auto's to appease everyones appetite.:blinzel:

Bobbbbbbbbbbbbo,

The more "Bs" the better!

Answering your comment about the looks of the car: I happen to think the vast majority of XLR owners do glance lovingly at their cars every chance they get--I know I do! I was in an AT&T store recently and the salesman asked me if I liked my XLR, well, you probably know the answer, anyway, he brought up the upcoming CTS-V and I asked him "would we be talking about the "C" as we are talking about the "X," and he said, "probably not." See, the "C" has a shape that is mimicked by almost all 4-door cars (the 2-door will look somewhat better) as for the "X" there isn't one car out there that even comes close to rivaling it's beauty or uniqueness, except possibly the Batmobile.

I would feel the same way even if I didn't hold the pink slip.

Floyd (BB)

For us ..... CTS anyday .....
Not instead of Lola ....
But what a beautiful sedan .... and the best part? It rides like a Cadillac! :blinzel:

Red ..... I love that Cadillac red ....!

Well you better start selling vehicles to make room, Geez I hope Jean doesn't hear all this talk or she'll be ordering her's before we can even think of getting one.
It would be tough for me to trade 565 hp hardtop convertable for 556 with a moon roof, not to mention a lot more weight. That's one thing about the future.............ya jest never know! See PM Floyd
For us ..... CTS anyday .....
Not instead of Lola ....
But what a beautiful sedan .... and the best part? It rides like a Cadillac! :blinzel:

Red ..... I love that Cadillac red ....!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom