Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Check Engine Light/Check Gas Cap....

XFireXLR

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Gold Mist Met. XLR
I filled up my XLR up a few days ago and today I got a message in the DIC "check gas cap" and the "check engine" light came on. I checked the gas cap and it was loose, I reinstalled the gas cap properly. The "check engine light is still on, I disconnected the battery for about 20 minutes and the light is still on. Will the light/condition reset itself after a few driving trips or do I have to go to the Dealer and have it reset? Any help will be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance for your help.

Save yourself some time and money ..... just replace your gas cap. It's worn out. 'Has happened to almost everyone's car. :squint: You should be able to just pick one up at your dealership. That should do the trick.

It may take a while for the car to stop giving you the "Check Engine" light, even after you replace the gas cap. Remember, it is under the Federal Emisions warranty, so it's a freebie at the dealer.... unless you're over 50,000 miles (I think it's 50,000 miles).

I received a new gas cap at my dealer, which was also defective. I then went to Lockhart Cadillac in Indianapolis and got a GREAT one!

I greatly appreciate everyones reply, had the issue fixed at the dealer today..."Check Engine" light cleared and new gas cap installed under warranty....in and out in less than an hour. :rocker:

Almost any problem you have, so has someone else on this forum ..... glad to know that you saved yourself some time, fuss and muss ... :cool: ;)

I filled up my XLR up a few days ago and today I got a message in the DIC "check gas cap" and the "check engine" light came on. I checked the gas cap and it was loose, I reinstalled the gas cap properly. The "check engine light is still on, I disconnected the battery for about 20 minutes and the light is still on. Will the light/condition reset itself after a few driving trips or do I have to go to the Dealer and have it reset? Any help will be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance for your help.

I been having a problem also for almost 2 weeks and 2 trips to the dealor. They first found the gas cap needed replaced and an 02 sensor. I got it back and the light went back on. They then replaced the cat converter and right side manifold. I got it back yesterday drove home no problem went to pick wife up and had it in park for about 3 minutes idling and the light came back on. Getting ready to take it back today.

I been having a problem also for almost 2 weeks and 2 trips to the dealor. They first found the gas cap needed replaced and an 02 sensor. I got it back and the light went back on. They then replaced the cat converter and right side manifold. I got it back yesterday drove home no problem went to pick wife up and had it in park for about 3 minutes idling and the light came back on. Getting ready to take it back today.

They called me said they found the problem and come get the car. They forgot to hook up the line to the airbox. Hopefully this issue will be resolved.

My gas cap finally gave out Easter weekend. Took it in to get a new one under warranty and some free Starbucks and low and behold, Lund has a new flash for the XLR with their airbox and exhaust. Ended up not being a free trip after all but I got another 24 hp :D

Speaking of more HP, I had the check engine light come on. I took it in and they found a couple of stored codes. The tech said he had never done a software upgrade on this car and said it's about time. Well! Not only did the check engine light go off I noticed a considerable increase in power. It took me by surprise as I just was only watching for the light to not reappear.

I went to pass a guy on the parkway, and just for the hell of it, floored it. GEEZ!!! It fishtailed a bit, left a chirp, and actually pushed me back in my seat!! I was doing about 55 when I decided to pass. Whatever was in the upgrade sure made me take notice! One of the codes said I had a slightly "lean" condition. Maybe when it was richened a bit gave it that extra umph! Whatever the reason, I'm certainly not complaining!! :rocker::rocker:

Floyd (BB)

Sounds like I better get Scarlett-V in to make sure she is up to date. I want to be able to at least keep up with you--can"t hang with Bobo, yet:laugh::laugh:

Speaking of more HP, I had the check engine light come on. I took it in and they found a couple of stored codes. The tech said he had never done a software upgrade on this car and said it's about time. Well! Not only did the check engine light go off I noticed a considerable increase in power. It took me by surprise as I just was only watching for the light to not reappear.

I went to pass a guy on the parkway, and just for the hell of it, floored it. GEEZ!!! It fishtailed a bit, left a chirp, and actually pushed me back in my seat!! I was doing about 55 when I decided to pass. Whatever was in the upgrade sure made me take notice! One of the codes said I had a slightly "lean" condition. Maybe when it was richened a bit gave it that extra umph! Whatever the reason, I'm certainly not complaining!! :rocker::rocker:

Floyd (BB)

Engine light

I JUST GOT AN ENGINE LIGHT ALSO, NOT GAS CAP ,JUST PUT ON NEW COLD AIR INTAKE..... ON STAR SAID TO LET IT CYCLE ABOUT THREE TIMES (START ,ENGINE WARM UP) AND IT SHOULD GO OUT I'LL SEE !!!!!!!!OR I COULD FLASH IT..ANY IDEAS ?:pat:

I would assume the filters are of the reuseable type with oil on them. I had this with my '04 when I installed K&N filters. Oil is being pulled in with the air and getting on the Mass Air Sensor. I cleaned the filters and reapplied the oil very lightly. When I took my car in for service I had the dealer clean the M.A.S. and this corrected the problem.

I JUST GOT AN ENGINE LIGHT ALSO, NOT GAS CAP ,JUST PUT ON NEW COLD AIR INTAKE..... ON STAR SAID TO LET IT CYCLE ABOUT THREE TIMES (START ,ENGINE WARM UP) AND IT SHOULD GO OUT I'LL SEE !!!!!!!!OR I COULD FLASH IT..ANY IDEAS ?:pat:

Engine light

Cubby, I have the volant intake sys.w/reuseable filters, will try what you did... and will be going into the dealers for my new tires and wheels next week ..thanks for the info :beerchug:

Thanks for the reminder, even though my tires have a lot of rubber, the rears have less than the front and are not sticking like they did when new, so I guess I'll get a new pair for the rear. Wish Michelin weren't the only ones that made a run flat in twenty inch. I have Dunlop V treads all around. My DIC just reminded me that my left front was flat and to drive at 55mph. Got out and stared at it and got back in and the DIC was fine. This is one thing I don't want to see with no run flats on my Twenties.
Cubby, I have the volant intake sys.w/reuseable filters, will try what you did... and will be going into the dealers for my new tires and wheels next week ..thanks for the info :beerchug:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom