Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

UNAVAILABLE DISCONTINUED PARTS

W

WAG

It's time we as XLR owners get together as ONE to confront Mary Barra, CEO of GM. As many of you are finding out we are not able to buy parts for our XLR'S. This happened when my car was only 8 years old, and I'm sure others have the same story. I just got off the phone with LaWanda at the GM executive office and was basically told in certain terms, SORRY..BULL****, I will not take sorry or no for an answer, an neither should you. My needed part is the famous Drivers Side Headlamp Assembly. There is one on ebay that a guy is very proud of, because he wants $5000.00 for it, and he is laughing about it, saying " I have the only OEM one in the world ". You may not be affected by this problem yet, but if you keep your XLR, you will. So I think now is the time we get together to fight this problem. If anyone has a solution to my problem, other than selling the car, I would love to hear from you. In any case I think we should get together as one to show her this is not an isolated case. Feel free to call me at 704-425-7654. Thank you for your time....... Jim Wagner 2008 Cadillac XLR Platinum.

Jim, Along with my XLR I also own a Chevy SSR. This vehicle is like the XLR in that getting parts and info at times can be difficult. However the SSR group feel they are a big family. There are 2 or 3 members that are making parts that we need as well as having a number of get togethers around the country to help owners fix their trucks. If I have a problem with my top I can get help. This is not a profit centre for these guys, they just want to help everyone so they can enjoy their trucks. The XLR group is not like this. Now I know there are some great friendships on the XLR forum but that's not what I am talking about. I am looking at this as an outsider. if I had a problem with my XLR I take it to my Caddy dealer for help. If I have a problem with my SSR I phone someone on the forum for help. Something to think about.
John F.

I feel your pain, but you will get nowhere on this issue, no matter how many you get to raise your concerns. GM went bankrupt after they ceased building the XLR. Mary was also not the CEO at that time, so that is two strikes against you on getting anything done. GM does not look back, they are constantly looking forward; albeit not in their customers viewpoint most of the time. How do you think the Allante owners feel. Low volume vehicles are at the biggest risk for these situations. Many of the discontinued Oldsmobiles and Pontiacs aren't seeing this problem because there are Chevrolets and Buicks built on the same platforms, so parts are still available. The best you can hope for, is that the scrap yards start holding on to these vehicles for the parts needed to keep other XLR's going.

It's time we as XLR owners get together as ONE to confront Mary Barra, CEO of GM. As many of you are finding out we are not able to buy parts for our XLR'S. This happened when my car was only 8 years old, and I'm sure others have the same story. I just got off the phone with LaWanda at the GM executive office and was basically told in certain terms, SORRY..BULL****, I will not take sorry or no for an answer, an neither should you. My needed part is the famous Drivers Side Headlamp Assembly. There is one on ebay that a guy is very proud of, because he wants $5000.00 for it, and he is laughing about it, saying " I have the only OEM one in the world ". You may not be affected by this problem yet, but if you keep your XLR, you will. So I think now is the time we get together to fight this problem. If anyone has a solution to my problem, other than selling the car, I would love to hear from you. In any case I think we should get together as one to show her this is not an isolated case. Feel free to call me at 704-425-7654. Thank you for your time....... Jim Wagner 2008 Cadillac XLR Platinum.

Unfortunately, you're not going to get anywhere.

GM is in the business of building automobiles. Not warehousing parts for every model they've built over the last century.

This parts issue isn't just a GM issue. It's an issue that any automotive manufacturer has when they build a limited production automobile such as the XLR, or Chevy SSR, or the 1990 - 1995 Corvette ZR-1 with the LT5 engine.

Automotive manufacturers do not have the capability to warehouse spare parts for every single model they build.

The automotive manufacturers have the OEM parts manufacturers build a certain number of spare parts and then that's it. The OEM parts manufacturers can't be expected to hang on to the original molds for all the parts that they've built over decades.

This is where the aftermarket comes into play - and the automotive manufacturing companies rely upon the aftermarket companies to pick up the slack as OEM parts run dry.

Unfortunately, none of the aftermarket companies that I'm aware of, such as Ecklers, Corvette Central, MidAmerica, etc., have started manufacturing replacements parts for the XLR.

It's the aftermarket companies that should be contacted and pleaded to. Not Mary Barra, or anyone at GM.

Just my two cents...

Believe me, I feel your pain as well,,,,

Quote by cubby: "I feel your pain, but you will get nowhere on this issue, no matter how many you get to raise your concerns."

:thumbsup The above sums it up perfectly, sorry to say. The vehicle is now a decade old relic, and GM knows that customer loyalty only goes so far down the road...

GM is more concerned with bottom line profits, the sales market now, and in the future to new potential buyers....... We are old news to them,,,before the bankruptcy.

Your options are simple.... live with the car's deficiencies or sell it for 'what it will bring in CASH TODAY' ,,,and then you can become a member of the
prowlershirtlol.jpg

This problem started when the IRS changed the tax code for businesses taking away there tax break on inventory stock piled in warehouses in the early 2000's. This caused them to limit new old stock to around seven years and sell off or destroy left over stock. Back in the 90's you could buy OEM parts for C1, to C6 Corvette parts from GM and now your lucky to get C7 parts. This tax change affected every MFR where NOS parts are concerned. Your best bet is to try and get a vender that makes similar parts to include the XLR, MidAmerica comes to mind.

Unfortunately, I do not see an aftermarket company taking up building XLR parts anytime soon. With a total production of just under 17,000 vehicles, the cost to design and build replacement parts far exceeds the potential profits they could reap selling to such a small market. Aftermarket companies build Mustang parts because there are 10 million of them that have been build in the last 53+ years, just like the Corvettes and Camaros. There are people on here like Mickey who are trying to help, but the reality is you won't see aftermarket parts being built unless it is a crossover part that also fits the Corvette in the model years affected. If you are keeping your car as part of a collection and to also enjoy it, you may want to look for a wreck in a scrap yard to buy to have potential parts in the future.

... you may want to look for a wreck in a scrap yard to buy to have potential parts in the future.
Yep, I was going to suggest this...

"General Motors dealers want drivers of old GM models to return to the dealership for service, and GM is actively seeking their business. "We see that as a huge opportunity for us and our dealers," said Scott Lawson, General Motors' director for customer care and aftersales. He said that GM is constantly evaluating demand for parts for its out-of-production vehicles and if the demand is great enough, GM will produce the component."
http://www.autonews.com/article/20131102/OEM10/311049982/factory-parts-for-an-older-car?-good-luck<strike></strike>
<strike></strike>

GM tossed out the XLR DNA > Now left alone for self preservation

Cubby is correct again,,,, I don't see any aftermarket company making anything more than a mesh grill or emblems for the XLR.....we are stuck with what you have unless you find a wrecked XLR in a bone yard that wasn't burned up. XLR and Allante owners are of little value to GM currently [ala, Cadillac Cimaron]

We are left to cruise in Jurassic Park as outdated, low production, dinosaurs. Just feel lucky if you can find a dealership service department or independent shop with a tech who has some knowledge of these cars.

38184128-los-angeles-california-usa-march-12-2015-scenery-of-jurassic-park-the-ride-at-the-lower-lot-of-unive.jpg

aftermarket parts

I remember a time when i could dress up an old BMW by buying obsolute parts for pennies on the dollar to get them out of stock. The wharehouse would have like 400 seat cushions oem or 1000 arm rest or console lids . I could but those items so cheep and make a brand new looking car cheep. Now the XLr ,the only thing you can find plenty of is the crossover vette stuff that you never need anyway. All the specific to XLR parts are no longer available. Out of 17,000 made I would bet 10,000 or maybe close is all on the road. SO the demand just not offer any upside on making parts. I am totally surprised no one has made a aftermarket v hood. I know those parts would sell at least a couple hundred which would be enough to pay the mold cost and you could make and sell them for 500$ and have profit . Most aftermarket guys I have talked about that make anything talk I n the 10,000 -50,000 units of a product for them to make money. The thing that really gets me is I understand why GM does not want to make items but why they wont turn loose of the molds, parts whatever it takes to let someone make them to supply the customer is just unforgivable. The camshaft actuator for the engine is no longer available from GM. That part is used in maybe 100 thousand of srx, sts and xlr engines. they just stopped making it. One aftermarket company made it but they stopped for some reason. so if that goes out, you are dead in the water.

Sing along,,,,,

Quote by GM's Scott Lawson...."GM is constantly evaluating demand for parts for its out-of-production vehicles and if the demand is great enough, GM will produce the component."

That quote was five years ago. They tell you what you want to hear.. With no intension of doing it,,UNLESS the demand is great enough,,,,and profitable to them or their parts vendors to make it...

Dream on
Dream on
Dream until your dream come true

GM service dept

The only one that GM might listen to is if 500 dealers wrote them and said ,we are losing 4000, repair tickets because you not have part number xyz. Then if parts wrote and said the same thing, We are missing out on 10,000$ dollars in sales a month because we do not have part xyz. Then GM might do something. But its not going too happen. Most dealers when you call for a part do not list it on the did not have list. especially if its discontinued as ther is no way to do that.

It only takes one person high enough up to decide they want Cadillac to be better. It's always about who you know.. Someone decided to spend tens of millions of dollars on the ELR, even though they knew sales would be low. Never say never..

Unless you work for GM I really don't think you know what's going on. Am I holding out hope? Heck no. But Mercedes has brand new parts for 70 year old cars. GM wants cadillac to compete with mercedes, they might re-think making parts for their former $100,000 halo car. BMW manufactures new parts for 20 year old cars.

Remember that, the XLR V was a $100,000 dollar car.

You want to embarrass GM before they come out with a new $180,000 mid engine halo car? Drive around the woodward dream cruise in their former $100,000 halo car with missing headlights, get on Channel 7 action news, when they ask why you're driving around in GM's previous $100,000 dollar halo car without headlights tell them this is how GM supports their customers.

Raise your hand if you'd buy a $180,000 car and couldn't get headlights just 7 years after they stop making it..

Yes yes, we can all guess this or guess that. Or talk about the past this or that vehicle. None of that matters. What matters is making enough noise to make that 1 person high enough at GM decide losing a couple thousand dollars on headlights is worth squashing bad PR. It's not about making money on the parts, it's about PR, good or bad.

Mercedes gets it.
BMW gets it.
GM, not so much. Yet.

Thinking Positive

It only takes one person high enough up to decide they want Cadillac to be better. It's always about who you know.. Someone decided to spend tens of millions of dollars on the ELR, even though they knew sales would be low. Never say never..

Unless you work for GM I really don't think you know what's going on. Am I holding out hope? Heck no. But Mercedes has brand new parts for 70 year old cars. GM wants cadillac to compete with mercedes, they might re-think making parts for their former $100,000 halo car. BMW manufactures new parts for 20 year old cars.

Remember that, the XLR V was a $100,000 dollar car.

You want to embarrass GM before they come out with a new $180,000 mid engine halo car? Drive around the woodward dream cruise in their former $100,000 halo car with missing headlights, get on Channel 7 action news, when they ask why you're driving around in GM's previous $100,000 dollar halo car without headlights tell them this is how GM supports their customers.

Raise your hand if you'd buy a $180,000 car and couldn't get headlights just 7 years after they stop making it..

Yes yes, we can all guess this or guess that. Or talk about the past this or that vehicle. None of that matters. What matters is making enough noise to make that 1 person high enough at GM decide losing a couple thousand dollars on headlights is worth squashing bad PR. It's not about making money on the parts, it's about PR, good or bad.

Mercedes gets it.
BMW gets it.
GM, not so much. Yet.
David, You are the first POSITVE THINKING person that has replied to my thread. I am old school, and I DO NOT JUST GIVE UP....PERIOD. The service industry has become a REPLACE IT and not a FIX IT world. I will not give up with my quest for what is right. I have all the time the Good Lord will give me, as I am retired. I will keep searching for my part, and also try and find that person who is an expert on XLR'S. I do not care where he or she lives, I will go to the source. I have really just got serious in my quest, and I will find a way to solve my issue. So anyone that says, YOU CAN'T, YOU WON'T, THERE IS NONE...That's OK, It just pushes me with more energy towards my goal.

David, You are the first POSITVE THINKING person that has replied to my thread. I am old school, and I DO NOT JUST GIVE UP....PERIOD. The service industry has become a REPLACE IT and not a FIX IT world. I will not give up with my quest for what is right. I have all the time the Good Lord will give me, as I am retired. I will keep searching for my part, and also try and find that person who is an expert on XLR'S. I do not care where he or she lives, I will go to the source. I have really just got serious in my quest, and I will find a way to solve my issue. So anyone that says, YOU CAN'T, YOU WON'T, THERE IS NONE...That's OK, It just pushes me with more energy towards my goal.

In my opinion, the expert on the XLR is ccclarke. His knowledge of this car is remarkable. I haven't seen him on here for quite some time as he got rid of his XLR. I actually think he tore down an XLR and put it together again.

david

the problem is when companies that Gm has make them parts no longer have orders and GM tells them No more will be ordered then they toss the molds, all the excess parts and move on. When they make parts for 100 different cars they just do not have the room or desire to retain all the massive inventory to keep thing the ymoist likely will never use. Gm to make headlights would have to start from scratch. Bmw on the other hand has a massive inventory of molds,patterns and drawings to have almost any part made. They make or have made almost every part for a BMW 2002 made back in the early 70's .They are car people not just number people. The suspension module for 04 and 05 is a good example. Its the same basic part as in the srx and the corvette. Just a programming difference. They have not officially stopped making them as there are a dozen on order. They did raise the price from about 700 to 1052. However the corvette part number is discontinued as is the srx number .SO they may not have any core to program to sell. A guy on ebay that bought 20 a year ago is selling them for 700. So that is below any wholesale price you will find even if GM does make them.
Just supply and demand and Gm has long since moved on from the XLR project that they claim they lost money on everyone sold.

I appreciate your input Mickey, but like I said, squeaky wheel gets the grease, and it's who you know.

I know you weren't around when it happened, but they did have the third tail light made in China just a few years ago. It's obvious if they want to make new headlights, they can farm it out to a company in China. If they don't have any of the molds, they made new ones, just for the high third brake light. If they did it for that, they can do it for the headlights.

the problem is when companies that Gm has make them parts no longer have orders and GM tells them No more will be ordered then they toss the molds, all the excess parts and move on. When they make parts for 100 different cars they just do not have the room or desire to retain all the massive inventory to keep thing the ymoist likely will never use. Gm to make headlights would have to start from scratch. Bmw on the other hand has a massive inventory of molds,patterns and drawings to have almost any part made. They make or have made almost every part for a BMW 2002 made back in the early 70's .They are car people not just number people. The suspension module for 04 and 05 is a good example. Its the same basic part as in the srx and the corvette. Just a programming difference. They have not officially stopped making them as there are a dozen on order. They did raise the price from about 700 to 1052. However the corvette part number is discontinued as is the srx number .SO they may not have any core to program to sell. A guy on ebay that bought 20 a year ago is selling them for 700. So that is below any wholesale price you will find even if GM does make them.
Just supply and demand and Gm has long since moved on from the XLR project that they claim they lost money on everyone sold.

Third taillight

I appreciate your input Mickey, but like I said, squeaky wheel gets the grease, and it's who you know.

I know you weren't around when it happened, but they did have the third tail light made in China just a few years ago. It's obvious if they want to make new headlights, they can farm it out to a company in China. If they don't have any of the molds, they made new ones, just for the high third brake light. If they did it for that, they can do it for the headlights.

I keep hearing about this third taillight but no one has one, no one bought one and I have never seen one used on ebay>I have seen used oem ones without the markings which would indicate that the original company making them just ground off the numbers and sold some as aftermarket that were actually oem. I have run across that with aluminum wheels many times in the body shop. We have also seen Toyota headlights in aftermarket boxes that were indeed made by the same company but just not up to OEM specs and were sold as aftermarket. So why did this china company stop selling the third taillight? I checked about a year a go with Keystone and they never had one listed in their insurance aftermarket list. tooling is very expensive for taillights and headlights and modules and GM is not going to spend that kind of money for a few hundred potential sales.

I can attest to the fact of 3rd brakelights being made. Several LEDs went out in mine early last year. At the time I knew that factory center lights had been unavailable for about a year. I bought a brand new one from a GM dealer for around 200$ and replaced it myself. I was told that it was brand new, and came from China. I just did a quick search on eBay, and there are several new ones listed for 200$ right now. 2004-2009 CADILLAC XLR DECK LID HIGH MOUNT 3RD BRAKE LIGHT LAMP OEM 25905631 | eBay

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom