Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

UNAVAILABLE DISCONTINUED PARTS

Reunion Petition

What matters is making enough noise to make that 1 person high enough at GM decide losing a couple thousand dollars on headlights is worth squashing bad PR. It's not about making money on the parts, it's about PR, good or bad.

Mercedes gets it.
BMW gets it.
GM, not so much. Yet.[/QUOTE]

I just had an idea that goes along with this: There's going to be a pretty good bunch of us at this 15 year reunion. I assume it will get some publicity. Couldn't we get some sort of petition, signed by all of the attendees, to GM to help us out on this replacement part problem? At least release some of their molds or copyrights so third parties could make them? Also, if any TV or newspaper coverage is available, we could make a point of bringing up the dearth of parts, and GM's lack of support for some very expensive vehicles.

There were quite a few of us at the 10 year event and only current GM people from the Bowling Green plant were around. Unfortunately the XLR wasn't being built any longer, so there was nobody to talk to about discontinued parts back then and there won't be anybody there to talk to about discontinued parts at the 15th. Here is a newspaper article from February of this year in the Tampa paper. Do you think that really helped get someone at GM to notice??

Finding scarce parts can drive up the cost of flipping luxury cars

I think you also have to understand that GM doesn't build a lot of the parts we are talking about. They have vendors build them. On a low volume car like the XLR, a vendor may make a part at very low profit, if they are also making parts for other high volume vehicles to keep the business. Once the low volume vehicle is no longer made and none of the parts interchange with another vehicle, it is discontinued. That is when the aftermarket industry steps in, if it is profitable!

I just had an idea that goes along with this: There's going to be a pretty good bunch of us at this 15 year reunion. I assume it will get some publicity. Couldn't we get some sort of petition, signed by all of the attendees, to GM to help us out on this replacement part problem? At least release some of their molds or copyrights so third parties could make them? Also, if any TV or newspaper coverage is available, we could make a point of bringing up the dearth of parts, and GM's lack of support for some very expensive vehicles.

I can attest to the fact of 3rd brakelights being made. Several LEDs went out in mine early last year. At the time I knew that factory center lights had been unavailable for about a year. I bought a brand new one from a GM dealer for around 200$ and replaced it myself. I was told that it was brand new, and came from China. I just did a quick search on eBay, and there are several new ones listed for 200$ right now. 2004-2009 CADILLAC XLR DECK LID HIGH MOUNT 3RD BRAKE LIGHT LAMP OEM 25905631 | eBay

But those are GM parts and have been made by the same people all along. That is not an aftermarket reissue as people are talking about. There are 4 or5 obsolete parts dealers that have that light listed as well as you can still order it new from GM for less than the ebay price when I checked a couple weeks ago. So that is just a part they made a lot of and had low failure rate and still have them.

But those are GM parts and have been made by the same people all along. That is not an aftermarket reissue as people are talking about. There are 4 or5 obsolete parts dealers that have that light listed as well as you can still order it new from GM for less than the ebay price when I checked a couple weeks ago. So that is just a part they made a lot of and had low failure rate and still have them.
I will say this on January 6th my 2006 v outer lens got a small crack the size of a half-dollar mine you this was a light that is on my vehicle that I've owned for 6 years and it only has 8000 miles on it today after pursuing looking at every option available and much thanks mickytee and the other guys on are site I was dealt the same obstacles that anyone else would deal with with a right headlight that needed to be replaced after a six-month search I was lucky enough to find a 2007 OEM in original Factory box from a gentleman in Albuquerque New Mexico that part that light cost me $3,800 well worth it to get car back on the road parts are out there it's a long grueling process but I did what Cadillac parts sourcing and AAA part sourcing could not do I found it I bought it I replaced it now saying that I will advise people who want to pursue and keep their vehicles to start looking for parts from the moment you purchased the vehicle because there will come a time you will need it and if not you may help others in our small group to keep the XLR alive and well into the future. The upside is I have a virtually new right hand headlight missing the outer lens hopefully someday I can replace that and by the way the $3800 was paid by AAA through my insurance good luck parts are out there it's a grind but if you love your car like I love mine your pursue. Jerz

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I will say this on January 6th 2018 my 2006 v outer lens got a small crack the size of a half-dollar mine you this was a light that is on my vehicle that I've owned for 6 years and it only has 8000 miles on it today after pursuing looking at every option available and much thanks mickytee and the other guys on are site I was dealt the same obstacles that anyone else would deal with with a right headlight that needed to be replaced after a six-month search I was lucky enough to find a 2007 OEM in original Factory box from a gentleman in Albuquerque New Mexico that part that light cost me $3,800 well worth it to get car back on the road parts are out there it's a long grueling process but I did what Cadillac parts sourcing and AAA part sourcing could not do I found it I bought it I replaced it now saying that I will advise people who want to pursue and keep their vehicles to start looking for parts from the moment you purchased the vehicle because there will come a time you will need it and if not you may help others in our small group to keep the XLR alive and well into the future. The upside is I have a virtually new right hand headlight missing the outer lens hopefully someday I can replace that and by the way the $3800 was paid by AAA through my insurance good luck parts are out there it's a grind but if you love your car like I love mine your pursue. Jerz

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I'll make you a bet Mikey, if I show you a third brake light made in china by GM for the XLR, you pay for the tooling to have new headlights made. If I can't, I will. LOL

(I wouldn't take that bet though, If I where you. :D)

Seriously, it was before your time. It was big news around here. GM did have new third brake lights made in China. I have one, brand new in the box with the label that says "MADE IN CHINA (MAINLAND)" with genuine GM labels sold by an actual dealership.

And before these Chinese ones were available the US made ones were over $400. This one is barely $200. Shows how cheaply GM can make parts in China if it really wants to. And that's the entire point of this thread. It's not about the cost, because GM can get parts made dirt cheap in China. It's about wanting to do it.

From what my father has told me, as an OEM sales person, they make as much per piece on lower volume parts.

As I've said before, all auto manufacturers pay the OEM makers for making the tooling, and the manufacturer retains ownership of the tooling. They do this so an OEM parts maker can't blackmail the manufacturer by demanding higher part prices potentially holding up production. Can you imagine if they could do that?

He told me stories of Ford semi-trucks pulling up to recalcitrant or bankrupt OEM manufacturers, loading up the tooling Ford retains ownership of, and trucking them to another OEM parts maker to continue making the part.

The expensive part of making parts is always the tooling. The cost of using the tool to make the part doesn't vary, although if higher tolerance parts are required the machines used with the tooling, and the tooling, can be much more expensive.

And yes, compared to 40 years ago most parts now are no longer made by the manufacturers themselves! That's why GM and Ford worker numbers went from over a million to a couple hundred thousand. Besides better automation, those jobs also went to OEM manufacturers.

I think our window of getting any action is closing though. I doubt Cadillac will have a mid-engine model within the next 2 years. And by 2021 the last XLR sold will be 10 years old, or 12 model years old. That embarrassment won't be there for a 12 to 17 year old car, no matter how much it used to cost.

There were quite a few of us at the 10 year event and only current GM people from the Bowling Green plant were around. Unfortunately the XLR wasn't being built any longer, so there was nobody to talk to about discontinued parts back then and there won't be anybody there to talk to about discontinued parts at the 15th. Here is a newspaper article from February of this year in the Tampa paper. Do you think that really helped get someone at GM to notice??

Finding scarce parts can drive up the cost of flipping luxury cars

I think you also have to understand that GM doesn't build a lot of the parts we are talking about. They have vendors build them. On a low volume car like the XLR, a vendor may make a part at very low profit, if they are also making parts for other high volume vehicles to keep the business. Once the low volume vehicle is no longer made and none of the parts interchange with another vehicle, it is discontinued. That is when the aftermarket industry steps in, if it is profitable!

Bosch Expands Braking, Rotating Machine And Wiper Blade Product Lines

Bosch has added new parts coverage for vehicles from Lexus, Cadillac, Chrysler, Honda, Ford and more in the months of July and August. The new SKUs cover more than 7 million vehicles in operation in the U.S. and Canada needing replacement brakes, starters, alternators and wiper blades.

Bosch Brake Pads

Fifty-one new SKUs have been added to the Bosch QuietCast Brake Pad and Bosch Blue Brake Pad product lines. The new part numbers extend coverage to more than 1.4 million late-model domestic, European and Asian vehicles in operation in the U.S. and Canada including the 2016-’17 Lexus RX350, 2017 Chrysler Pacifica, 2016 Hyundai Veloster, 2016-’17 Chevrolet Malibu and the 2017 Honda CR-V. The new part numbers include synthetic lubricant with all applications and a hardware kit on select applications.

Thirty-two new SKUs have been added to the Bosch Blue Disc Brake Pad product line, featuring OE-style multi-layer shims that provide superior noise dampening, according to Bosch. The pads are designed to deliver quality and performance and are ideal for the shop owner who is looking to provide customers with the best value, Bosch says.
Bosch Alternators and Starters (Rotating Machines)

Ten new part numbers have been added to the Bosch Rotating Machines product line, including seven SKUs for remanufactured alternators and three SKUs for remanufactured starters. The new SKUs extend coverage to more than 1.8 million late-model domestic, European and Asian vehicles in operation in the U.S. and Canada. These vehicles include the 2015-’16 Ford Mustang 3.7L V6, 2014-’17 Ford Transit Connect 2.5L L4, 2007-’08 Mercedes-Benz CL600 5.5L V12 and 2005-’09 Cadillac XLR 4.6L V8.

Bosch remanufactured starters and alternators are built with top-quality materials using the most advanced technology to withstand extreme heat, cold and high demand, according to Bosch. They are 100-percent performance tested to last longer and deliver more reliable service.

Bosch Wiper Blades

Bosch has announced the addition of new wiper blade coverage for the AeroTwin product line, providing late-model coverage for 3.5 million vehicles in operation in the U.S. and Canada. The AeroTwin Wiper Blade features a blended dual rubber compound with graphite coating for long life, says Bosch. The blade has an asymmetrical wind spoiler for better windshield contact and patented beam technology for a uniform wipe. The new SKU covers 2013-’17 Honda Accord models.

For more information, click here.

Read this about a guy who is turning 3d gen Trans Ams into Knightrider cars, having figured out how to wire up and get the right LED’s for the dash, soldiering it all together, etc.: The House of KITT | Automobile Magazine

Then read this about a guy who owns a 1 of 47 Tucker 48 and has developed ways to reproduce the unique suspension, dash parts etc.:
https://www.automobilemag.com/news/saving-prestons-tucker/

And then have HOPE that there WILL be a parts solution for our cars. It may not be easy or cheap, but one day it could exist. (I really wish the Tucker collector would get into XLR’s!)

a little story

That all sounds good but people on this forum I have been told complain about parts but don't do anything. A former member made a needed part for the XLR as 20 plus people told him they would buy them. He financed the parts and he told me even though one member said he would split the cost (which he never did) he only sold a couple to members and sold a few to a repair company. He is out a few thousand dollars because of his trust people would do what they said. Only a few quality members followed thru.

The same ex member bought my Maserati . it had needed a water pump housing for years that is no longer available and many are searching for. He made a mold and posted the approx. cost to make the part on the Maserati forum. He said within a couple of days he had 10 people send him 3000$ each for the part. Within a week the parts were made and shipped and the actual cost was much lower. about 500$ each so he sent each back 2 parts and 2000$. It takes money and not talk to get things done. People here from what I see are mostly talk.

Last edited:
That all sounds good but people on this forum I have been told complain about parts but don't do anything. A former member made a needed part for the XLR as 20 plus people told him they would buy them. He financed the parts and he told me even though one member said he would split the cost (which he never did) he only sold a couple to members and sold a few to a repair company. He is out a few thousand dollars because of his trust people would do what they said. Only a few quality members followed thru.

The same ex member bought my Maserati . it had needed a water pump housing for years that is no longer available and many are searching for. He made a mold and posted the approx. cost to make the part on the Maserati forum. He said within a couple of days he had 10 people send him 3000$ each for the part. Within a week the parts were made and shipped and the actual cost was much lower. about 500$ each so he sent each back 2 parts and 2000$. It takes money and not talk to get things done. People here from what I see are mostly talk.

This post explains a lot

Call me conservative but I wouldn’t send money to people I don’t know over a forum. Too much risk of receiving neither a part nor my money again.

Example: For Sale: 4 XLR Alloy Rims with Pirelli Tires.

So my hope is not just for an unknown person to pitch me parts over the internet with no physical location for me to visit ...

Go fund me

sirtes like go fund me have the negative reviews hit the news from time to time. However 1000's of people have made and sold items to millions that did not get ripped off. Chances of getting knocked on the head from a craigslist sale in person are just about as bad. HAHA

Call me conservative but I wouldn’t send money to people I don’t know over a forum. Too much risk of receiving neither a part nor my money again.

Example: For Sale: 4 XLR Alloy Rims with Pirelli Tires.

So my hope is not just for an unknown person to pitch me parts over the internet with no physical location for me to visit ...

XLRATING, I remember that deal and if you notice the seller only had made 2 posts. We had a period where brand new members would be making a couple of posts and then want to sell something. it was obvious to me they only joined to site to sell something and in my opinion should not be allowed. Have a look at my post #2 in this topic.
John F.

There are several other forums I subscribe to that only allow sales by new members after a set number of initiated posts. Not comments under other's posts.

Rexster, What is the problem with me commenting under someones post. I don't understand.
John F.

You misunderstand. You or I have no problem. I'm talking about a person on another forum that cannot start a post in a classified section nor can they make a sale post under another person's thread until they have a set number of posts in that forum. That cuts down on drive-bys. Guy makes 2 posts, sells his cast off crap, and never heard of again.

louverguy

I like the post by WAG. I can see it now, XLR's showing up at Woodward with missing headlights. Haven't looked to see how difficult it would be to remove a headlight. It certainly would make headline news. The gentleman that spent 14 hours in his XLR because he didn't read his owners manual certainly got exposure.

I like the post by WAG. I can see it now, XLR's showing up at Woodward with missing headlights. Haven't looked to see how difficult it would be to remove a headlight. It certainly would make headline news. The gentleman that spent 14 hours in his XLR because he didn't read his owners manual certainly got exposure.

3 retaining nuts and the headlight pulls straight out. You have to pull the headlight assy out to change out the turn, marker and headlight.

Unfortunately, I do not see an aftermarket company taking up building XLR parts anytime soon. With a total production of just under 17,000 vehicles, the cost to design and build replacement parts far exceeds the potential profits they could reap selling to such a small market. Aftermarket companies build Mustang parts because there are 10 million of them that have been build in the last 53+ years, just like the Corvettes and Camaros. There are people on here like Mickey who are trying to help, but the reality is you won't see aftermarket parts being built unless it is a crossover part that also fits the Corvette in the model years affected. If you are keeping your car as part of a collection and to also enjoy it, you may want to look for a wreck in a scrap yard to buy to have potential parts in the future.

Now this is a great idea. Unfortunately, I've never seen an XLR in an auto junk yard. That said, perhaps someone will, and if so, that someone should post that on this forum. That way others who might need a part or two can contact that individual who bought the XLR, or the junk yard where it sits, and negotiate a fair price, not the exorbitant rates e-bay or anyone else is asking.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom