Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

UNAVAILABLE DISCONTINUED PARTS

sorry

sorry but most of the headlights on ebay are from recycle yards and they set the standard that others try to match. (high price) Prices have come down a little maybe 15% since the floods and so many got totaled. Prices will continue to decreas on used parts except the couple of computer items but they will also decrease in quality as they get older and tailights start cracking and headlight glaze over even more

Short comment parts, need for part, and floods equal heartaches in the future if you do not do due diligence in your purchase from whoever it may be. It took me 6 months to buy my right headlight for my V 06 but I found one brand new in the box it can be done. I would never advise parking your vehicle without it being in your field of vision or security such as valet to take care of your vehicle it just is what it is with these vehicles jerz...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

This thread has been on my mind for over a year. I nearly sold my car a year ago, but they are just to damn fun to drive. I turned down a $20k offer.
What I’ve decided is this:
The chassis, suspension, fuel system, parts of the drive train (differential is different, but similar) are all Corvette, parts are readily available
The engine is Northstar, parts are readily available and most GM mechanics know how to fix them.
What is specific to the XLR?
Retractable hard top - sensors are the primary issue. We found someone who can rebuild the hydraulic pump. Worst case, you lock the top down and call it a hard top
Lights, headlights and tail lights will be a problem to source until someone figures out how to retro fit or 3-D print a replacement
Interior - if we continue to want our cars to look like it was new, this is problematic. But I am convinced that like the Alanté folks, we will find a person who will decide this car is worth preserving and make a business out of sourcing hard to find parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

next to go

actually i read that the camshaft actuators are no longer available from GM for the XLR engine. they leak oil cause major engine running problems. . There was an aftermarket unit but they no longer sell them. Been on back order for about a year. Same part fits the srx so there are plenty of cars that use this part . Gm (caddilac) just dropping another needed part that will park your car when it goes bad.
I can just see in a few years people finding these cars in the garage (barn finds) haha looking great and going " I wonder why they parked it?. The ad says ran when parked"

Free 2004-09 Cadillac XLR Parts Catalog @ OPGI.com

xlr-2018.jpg

FREE!!

It was a typo of OPGI - Original Parts Group Incorporated

Although I no longer own my XLR, I visit the site from time to time. This was an interesting topic and Iwanted to share my first hand knowledge on producing replacement parts. I worked for GM at the New Departure Hyatt Bearings division (NDH). I had manufacturing responsibility for the strut bearing, rear wheel and roller clutch product lines from 1986 thru 1989. All were high volume. We supplied roller clutches for all GM automatic transmissions as well as select rc’s for Ford and Chrysler. Rear wheel bearings went into the rear axle of the F-car –Camaro and Firebird. I want to focus on producing X-car strut bearings after the X-car was no longer produced by GM. Strut bearings are used at the top of the MacPherson Strut Suspension (MSS) and it’s role is simply to allow the end of the spring that is seated under it to rotate when the front wheel steering direction changed so as to not have spring windup. (#3 in the pictorial) The 80½ X cars used the MSS and we called that strut bearing the X car strut bearing. Really original naming convention. It was assembled on a high speed dial assembly machine. The J cars were introduced with a J-car strut bearing design based on the X-car strut bearing with greater weight capacity and the J car strut bearing went into production on a new 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] assembly machine .In the early 1980’s NDH had 2 high volume assembly machines – one making X-car and the other making J-car. Finally as X-car volume ramped down to end of production and J-car volume increased, the X-car assembly machine was converted to J-Car. At that time we had contracts to supply service bearings for 10 years after OEM production ended. Sometime in 1987 an order came in from GM Parts for more X-car bearings as their inventory was depleted. Production Control told me of the order and since the assembly machine was no longer available, they asked me when I would promise delivery as the normal service lead times couldn’t be applied. I called in Manufacturing Engineering and asked what was the manufacturing plan? Engineering proposed a hand assembly of the X-car bearing using bench mounted fixtures to hold the assembly machine production tooling.The fixtures were designed and built. Added employee labor for the hand build was required. I told Sales that I needed more labor hours in the standard (which is part of the std costing) to cover the added hourly labor. Sales took a new, higher price to the customer and got the price increase. We ate the tooling cost for the bench fixtures. My Quality and Manufacturing Engineers jointly developed new quality control instructions for the hand build. All the primary manufacturing operations were unaffected: press stamping and heat treatment of the bearing races and the vendor molding of the rubber seals to the bearing races. We built the X car strut bearings. Now a few other points.If NDH wanted to cease production at the end of the contract and GM wanted the tooling back, GM would get the tooling and not the assembly machine or the new fixtures. It depends on what is included in the contract and what is identified as tooling. In the press department, tooling is the forming tooling that is fixtured in the die shoes but not the die shoes or the stamping press itself which would be used for other manufactured product in the business. Ditto for the 60’ long heat treat furnace. Inspection gages are required and may or may not be included as tooling in a contract. At the rubber molding vendor the same ownership structure applied. NDH owned the specific tooling cavities but not the part cleaning, injection molding and deburring machines. Also, purchased parts such as the precision balls used in the strut bearing came from another supplier and needed to be supplied. My bottom line is that it is not easy to produce precision automotive parts to the original OEM requirements even when you have the “tooling’. Thanks for letting me add my 2 cents. strut brg.jpg
<strike></strike>

Last edited:
dont get to oexcited. every one of these type cataloques I have seen only have aftermaket add o nparts Not OEM and the few OEM they have usually can be found at other sites for less. SMC corvette parts have about all the new oem parts left that have been discontinued

Short comment parts, need for part, and floods equal heartaches in the future if you do not do due diligence in your purchase from whoever it may be. It took me 6 months to buy my right headlight for my V 06 but I found one brand new in the box it can be done. I would never advise parking your vehicle without it being in your field of vision or security such as valet to take care of your vehicle it just is what it is with these vehicles jerz...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yep I always try and be with in eye contact of mine. I never grant access for a valet
db4f0c3d3d08de23895ae8ca2080f428.jpg
if I have to leave for any long period of time I’m always nervous. Then I go excuse myself and find a spot to see if I can see my car. But when I return to it unless it’s raining I always try and do a walk around. To see if any marks are on it since I left. But knock on wood nothing so far. That’s why I want to purchase a dash cam. Wish they had a all around 360 dash cam sorta like ring but where all corners of the car could be seen.

I looked at the trade in value for my '05 XLR - about $10K. I have two spare headlights - I figure I could sell the four headlights for $10K and the two tail lights for $7K - and scrap the car and be ahead!!!
That is really sad...

I spent most of my career in the Auto Parts Industry and have a huge love of all makes of automobiles. Finding parts to keep them alive has and always will be the challenging part of the hobby! I began restoring Mustangs before there were any aftermarket parts, thankfully there was a huge supply of salvage vehicles to pick from. Eventually, some of the used parts sources dried up but there was enough interest in preserving them that someone made aftermarket replacement parts. Even with the low XLR production numbers, I believe (maybe dream is a better term) that enough of us will cherish them and work together to ensure they survive. One of the things I see in the forum are members helping each other out....or suggestions of this happening. Hoarding parts just in case something happens makes it harder for those that wish to enjoy these awesome cars to do so. Hopefully greed will not kill the future of XLRs from becoming a survivor. If we don't keep as many as possible on the road, it will be harder to justify the expense of aftermarket parts now or in the future. I encourage everyone to help each other out. Point out good deals if you run across them and hopefully when in turn you need something, someone else will pay it forward. Thanks to all of you who care enough to post on the forum!

well your light prices are a little high but you may be right. There used to be 2 or 3 on ebay and they sold as fast as listed, Now I think there are 20-25 and they sell off and on. That's about all you can sell off the car . The top module and suspension module also sell and a few other parts will bring a little more than shipping. at 2500 each for headlights they would have to be pretty nice and they only work on 04 and 05 so those are getting totaled right and left due to high prices. 1500- 1800 on the lights if really nice and 1800-2000 on the taillights but being an 05 they are close to needing rebuilt if the plastic outer housing is not bad. There are a lot of cars out there that the sum of the parts exceed the value of the car all together. that's why there are salvage yards everywhere.

I just looked at my lower grill between the cruise control radar. I knew I had some pieces missing but when I looked the other day I noticed a big void. I’m now in a dilemma. If available should I splurge and go for a mesh grill or just go for the replacement plastic. I was thinking if it’s not a whole lot should I go for the better one. I shouldn’t complain because I’ve had the car since 2012 and I only noticed one or 2 slots that were missing. But now it looks like this
5b74a0de1f22b48bb9b7148aedd2a4ba.jpg
kinda like she needs go to the dentist and get new teeth [emoji3103].
Well the main reason I’m asking now is because I’m registered for the Florida chapter xlr/allante group gathering in October. I want to fix all this before the show so she looks as new as she can be.
Any and all suggestions will be considered. ESP from the red xlr owners

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry