Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

easy outside hood release

mickeytee

Seasoned Member
I was packing up a grill for a customer and just noticed that the stock base XLR grill was designed originally to have a hood release by pushing the center emblem. I have a high school kid in the neighborhood that is a great maker. I am going to give him some parts and see if he can duplicate what the factory started but for some reason did not follow thru on. I don't know if they were going to use the emblem for the safety latch ? or the main latch. I am going for the main. It would have to be sort of hard to keep a bird or object from hitting it and opening the hood but that seems slim to small chance of that happening. What do you think.? 50$ for a kit? what price point would work? It would be more of a rare, batteries dead and you dont want to open the trunk by yourself and break off a corner item. Mostly an extra emergency release to get to the battery.

I think with all the issues XLRs have with batteries, easy access to the engine bay is certainly something worth having.

Personally, I'm running a badgeless grill (picture in some other thread) so I couldn't use the moving emblem idea. Interestingly enough, one of the previous owners of #67 had installed a secondary cable - this is of the sort you'd buy at any auto parts store and more often than not, it would be used for choke operation on a carbureted car.

The original install execution wasn't great though it must have served its function. I had a personal debate to keep it or pitch it - and decided to keep it, just relocate it and improve (reduce) the cable length, run and mounting position.

Quality depending, these choke-type cables with the knob and a bracket seem to go from $nothing to $50 depending on quality, finish and of course, the seller. So I don't think you're too far off with a $50 price tag for a kit.

Only thing is, it would have to be pretty easy to install and not at all obvious, imho.

Gord :thumbsup

I was packing up a grill for a customer and just noticed that the stock base XLR grill was designed originally to have a hood release by pushing the center emblem. I have a high school kid in the neighborhood that is a great maker. I am going to give him some parts and see if he can duplicate what the factory started but for some reason did not follow thru on. I don't know if they were going to use the emblem for the safety latch ? or the main latch. I am going for the main. It would have to be sort of hard to keep a bird or object from hitting it and opening the hood but that seems slim to small chance of that happening. What do you think.? 50$ for a kit? what price point would work? It would be more of a rare, batteries dead and you dont want to open the trunk by yourself and break off a corner item. Mostly an extra emergency release to get to the battery.
Im interested if you get them going.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back