Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! 07 XLR-V Want to Up Grade Brakes

FireXLR07

My XLR/V(s)
2007 Red XLR-V
Is the 07-V, single piston brake?
Any recommendations for an up grade?

Would something like this work?

Yes - that kit will work... I had the same brakes on my 06 V for awhile before I sold them and upgraded to an even larger kit.

But - you will need different wheels as the calipers are large and won't fit behind the OEM V wheels.

Is the 07-V, single piston brake?
Any recommendations for an up grade?

Would something like this work?
Howdy,
Fronts for all XLRs / XLR-Vs are twin-piston, single side. Rear: single piston, single side of course.

Yes, that 'kit' is a bolt-on and would work but I would strongly recommend you do your homework regarding buying the parts here and there and assembling a kit yourself.

Those calipers are available from RockAuto, US$288.79 each front, US$259.79 each rear. Don't be scared regarding listings of 'only left' or 'only right'... just buy a pair if need be and swap the bleeders for the cross-over pipe so the bleeders are positioned upwards. Price up the 'pad pins' - they can get costly no matter where you look.

It appears that this kit is selling stock crap discs or similar - uni-directionally drilled, which is imho disgusting, not only that GM did such a thing, but also that more than one aftermarket company followed suit.

Have a look at Baer brakes or some of the other nicer brands as I think if you're going to go through the steps to upgrade, at least put on some rotors that point the correct direction and are hopefully of a quality that is a step up from stock rubbish. ;)

Pads and lines - you can get those anywhere as well. Choose pads according to your driving intentions etc. The lines are nice though not really necessary unless you're going racing, are brutal in regards to repeated braking, or just want 'the look'.

I'm actually doing this to mine: those calipers and Baer 2-piece rotors (lovely company to deal with - great service). The calipers are made by PBR Australia (same manufacturer as the original XLR/V calipers) and are beautiful albeit a bit heavy and 'clunky' compared to some other offerings. Unfortunately, many of those other offerings would take you in to the $1-2K++ per corner realm which is a little rich for my intentions.

If you have the coin and don't care, check out Brembo or Wilwood perhaps. Oh, and be ready with your wheel size - 18 inch minimum for the Z06 kit, any bigger and 19 inch or more would probably be essential.

If you poke around on YouTube, you'll find a vid or two of a fellow doing this mod to a base Corvette. Don't follow his instructions to the letter - while he means well, he's a bit of a hack, but at least you'd get an idea of what's involved and how simple a task it really is.

HTH!

Gord :thumbsup

You can see my install post here:

Howdy,
Fronts for all XLRs / XLR-Vs are twin-piston, single side. Rear: single piston, single side of course.

Yes, that 'kit' is a bolt-on and would work but I would strongly recommend you do your homework regarding buying the parts here and there and assembling a kit yourself.

Those calipers are available from RockAuto, US$288.79 each front, US$259.79 each rear. Don't be scared regarding listings of 'only left' or 'only right'... just buy a pair if need be and swap the bleeders for the cross-over pipe so the bleeders are positioned upwards. Price up the 'pad pins' - they can get costly no matter where you look.

It appears that this kit is selling stock crap discs or similar - uni-directionally drilled, which is imho disgusting, not only that GM did such a thing, but also that more than one aftermarket company followed suit.

Have a look at Baer brakes or some of the other nicer brands as I think if you're going to go through the steps to upgrade, at least put on some rotors that point the correct direction and are hopefully of a quality that is a step up from stock rubbish. ;)

Pads and lines - you can get those anywhere as well. Choose pads according to your driving intentions etc. The lines are nice though not really necessary unless you're going racing, are brutal in regards to repeated braking, or just want 'the look'.

I'm actually doing this to mine: those calipers and Baer 2-piece rotors (lovely company to deal with - great service). The calipers are made by PBR Australia (same manufacturer as the original XLR/V calipers) and are beautiful albeit a bit heavy and 'clunky' compared to some other offerings. Unfortunately, many of those other offerings would take you in to the $1-2K++ per corner realm which is a little rich for my intentions.

If you have the coin and don't care, check out Brembo or Wilwood perhaps. Oh, and be ready with your wheel size - 18 inch minimum for the Z06 kit, any bigger and 19 inch or more would probably be essential.

If you poke around on YouTube, you'll find a vid or two of a fellow doing this mod to a base Corvette. Don't follow his instructions to the letter - while he means well, he's a bit of a hack, but at least you'd get an idea of what's involved and how simple a task it really is.

HTH!

Gord :thumbsup
Thanks

I have found if I do not exceed 8 mph my car will indeed stop on a dime. 10mph takes the length of a dollar bill and it goes up from there. HAHA be safe

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom