Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Foam pieces in the HVAC vents?

alterniTECH

My XLR/V(s)
2006 XLR
So I have these mysterious foam pieces appearing from time to time in the HVAC vents (see pictures). Does anyone know what's deteriorating in the bowels of the HVAC ventilation system? Is it something I should be worried about? Where do I start looking? Or should I just accept the fact that the car is old and do nothing about it? Thanks in advance for the help and advice! :)

IMG_5325.jpg
IMG_5327.jpg

15 year old car in vastly changing temperatures and humidity,,,,its just the adhesive holding the foam and/ or deterioration of the foam you are seeing. I've seen that in many older cars and not much you can do about it short of getting inside the vents. IMO, just live with it and take some tweezers to pick out any pieces stuck behind the vent. Not much help am I? :unsure:

15 year old car in vastly changing temperatures and humidity,,,,its just the adhesive holding the foam and/ or deterioration of the foam you are seeing. I've seen that in many older cars and not much you can do about it short of getting inside the vents. IMO, just live with it and take some tweezers to pick out any pieces stuck behind the vent. Not much help am I? :unsure:
Thanks. I tend to agree with you and figured that was probably the answer I was going to get and already knew, but, one never knows... Thanks again!

Be careful ... they are nasty sticky and will smear like tar ... so avoid getting them on anything. Real fun to get out of clothes. Watch for the pieces getting blown out of the vents so you don’t sit on them, remove carefully so they don’t smear.

The trim piece pops out with plastic trim removal tools. It's pretty easy to remove the decomposing foam gasket. Clean the old adhesive off and add new adhesive-backed foam available at any good hardware store. Reinstall and you don't have to worry (about that) for another five-ten years.

CC

Thanks for the tips. This foam is very brittle, and pretty much disintegrates to the touch. I simply am able to suck it out with a vacuum, was just wondering if I have anything to worry about, seems as if no, but to just keep sucking... (lol). ;-)

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom