Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

06 XLR Roof re-learn problem

b090

Having problem re-learning system, starting from roof closed position, windows go down, front tonneau cover raises, decklid raises, roof opens, rear tonneau cover extends forward, and then it just sits there spinning the motor. All positions say learned except top position and rear tonneau. If i manually complete the cycle by lowering the front tonneau cover and closing the decklid, the rear tonneau sensor both extend and retract goes to learned when i start the close procedure via the switch. Closing the roof, the system stalls at the same point. The decklid lifts, the rear tonneau retracts, the roof closes and then motor just spins continuing to push roof closed with no learn completed on roof. I checked all three microswitches, and checked the roof closed microswitch at the top module direct, it is working. Any ideas? Using GM Mdi with factory scantool. All 3 poteniometers are reading slightly off the stored values, I assume they will update if the learn process ever completes. Thanks!

I'm kind of having the same issue here. I need to do the re-learn process, however I don't see it as an option under the Folding Top Module system...

Go into folding top control module and special functions.... trunk release is in body rear end, bcm, active tests just in case you cant release trunk.

Attached are the screenshots to the tool I'm using. The Launch X431 connector only and Diagzone on an Android, loaded with GM Tech2 v.48.05

Would there be another way to get to do the re-learn process?

Screenshot_20200619-090719.jpg

Screenshot_20200619-090754.jpg

Screenshot_20200619-090758.jpg

Screenshot_20200619-090804.jpg

My Top also will not re-learn. Dealer says it never will, but offered no reason

I am not sure if this is the correct post to chime in with, but I know I will be gently redirected if it is not.

I also have a relearn issue.

I took my 2006 XLRV to the dealer today for a top relearn. He said it won't re-learn and is stuck in the open position indefinately.

Several weeks the top failed to completely go back up. I attempted to retract it and begin again. The top itself, never locked in place inside the trunk and stopped working there. As if on cue, rain started pounding down. I secured ( I thought ) the top in place, gently lowered the deck lid, but did not fully latch it. There has been a trunk ajar error and Top Not Secure error since.

I went in with the tech2 and reset the trunk latch. Error cleared and it is locked down in place. However I could not clear or reset top not secure error.

Not wanting to screw the pooch totally, I brought it to the "best" non-certified XLRV tech in the state (NOT) who after 3 hours and no change, came and told me the top would not go up, It will NOT RELEARN ever again.

WHen I asked what exactly he did in the tech2, he berated me, said he would not speak to me and threw my key on the floor.

I really have no clue how to proceed. I did tech2 to relearn section of the top, and it in fact will not let you select the relearn process for any position.

I believe it is the top itself not knowing it is locked in the trunk and the next steps wont complete so it wont relearn until that is addressed.

Any clues as how to do this correctly?

I have read my shop manual and think it must be a missing adenda in mine.

Now I hear thunder...

Offering a free week at the beach house to anyone that wants to come work on my V while they're here.

Last edited:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back