Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! 06 XLRV Exhaust noise

flyingw98

My XLR/V(s)
2006 XLRV
I'm a newbie here... Please have a little patience. I was excited to find this site, as I've had my 06 for a few years, and have no issues up until now. Simply put.... my nice quiet XLRV now sounds like my Boat. The exhaust is loud enough to not be able to have a normal conversation. I've done no offroading, nor have I jumped any speedbumps. I've put it on my friends lift, knowing that I would find an exhaust leak, but none were to be found. The stinkin' thing is louder AT the exhaust tips. Pretty silly, but what do I know... Anyhoo... I know that this car has an exhaust system that opens up when you floor it, and I also see vacuum lines all over the place that are involved with this exhaust system. No loose vac lines whatsoever. The car runs great, and sounds great, but around 2k rpm it's too noisy on the inside. Anyone ???? Thank You in advance !! Doug

Welcome to xlr-net. It sounds like the exhaust flaps are staying open. With the car running, look inside the in board pipes and see id they are closed. If they are open, look inside the drivers side rear pocket and check the connection box - three wires and make sure wires are connected. Others on this site will give you more ideas.

Dave

Exhaust noise

Dave... Thanks for the info. Which are the "inboard" pipes ... Are these the inner 2 ?? Where is the drivers side rear pocket located ??

Dave... Thanks for the info. Which are the "inboard" pipes ... Are these the inner 2 ?? Where is the drivers side rear pocket located ??

The two center pipes has the exhaust flaps. Open your trunk - the compartment on your left.

Welcome. There is a vacuum line that runs underneath the car all the way from the engine compartment to a vacuum solenoid located underneath the car on the passenger side near the rear bumper, there is also a vacuum storage tank there, then the vacuum goes to a vacuum actuator mounted next to the center exhaust pipes. If you loose vacuum the flaps will be open all the time and you will get the droaning noise when in the overdrive gears. The control box inside the driver's side trunk operates the solenoid to open the flaps on the center exhaust pipes. I have read where someone had a vacuum line melt that was too close to the exhaust pipe.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom