Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! 2005 Cadillac XLR keeps shutting off!!!

ITS FIXED!!!! SOLUTION, SOLUTION!!!!!

A BIG THANKS TO N2DEEP, HE TOLD ME I HAD SAME PROBLEM HE HAD. HE SAID CHECK THE GROUND ON THE DRIVER SIDE FUEL PUMP. THE FUEL PUMP HARNESS. I TOOK THE GROUND WIRE AND GROUNDED IT TO THE BODY OF THE CAR. MY X IS RIDING LIKE A CHAMP!!!

That post above didnt fix my problem. I ended up changing both fuel pumps with GM pumps, The o rimgs in the fuel lines were worn out, so I replaced the fuel lines, and I changed the tube that connects the two fuel pumps together in the center of the pumps. I also disconnected the ground wire off the body of the car and ran it the correct way, and Ive been riding every since. No Problems. ISSUE RESOLVED!!! If I can help any please call or text 8032690514.

Last edited:
SOLUTION!!!SOLUTION!!!SOLUTION!!!!

CHANGED ALL THAT STUFF FOR NOTHING, IT WAS JUST THE GROUND WIRE ON THE RIGHT FUEL PUMP HARNESS, WOW. I CHANGED BOTH FUEL PUMPS, ALL 4 O2 SENSORS, COMPUTER, BATTERY, AND 10 TOWS. IVE BEEN TRYING TO FIGURE MY ISSUE OUT FOR OVER 2 YEARS, FINALLY ITS OVER, THANKS TO N2DEEP. IF ANYONE IS HAVE SIMILAR PROBLEMS BEFORE YOU BREAK THE BANK CHECK THE GROUND WIRE. IF YOU TAKE THE LEFT TIRE OFF, AND PULL DOWN ALL THE WHEEL WELL STUFF YOU CAN SEE THE RIGHT FUEL PUMP HARNESS, IF NOT YOU MAY HAVE TO DROP THE TANK A LITTLE TO SEE IT.

Glad to hear one of our members was able to help fix the problem. Sounds like something that should be checked on all XLRs when possible just to make sure the fuel pump has a good ground. Grounds to the frame are something that can deteriorate over time due to exposure to the elements. I remember some of the employees at Bowling Green assembly discussing checking the grounds on the XLR periodically as they can be a source of problems.

ground wire on fuel pump

Yea i put mine in a place thats not hard to come back to and coated in silicone then painted to help with corrosion

Sounds to me like your dealership owes you a couple grand..

CHANGED ALL THAT STUFF FOR NOTHING, IT WAS JUST THE GROUND WIRE ON THE RIGHT FUEL PUMP HARNESS, WOW. I CHANGED BOTH FUEL PUMPS, ALL 4 O2 SENSORS, COMPUTER, BATTERY, AND 10 TOWS. IVE BEEN TRYING TO FIGURE MY ISSUE OUT FOR OVER 2 YEARS, FINALLY ITS OVER, THANKS TO N2DEEP. IF ANYONE IS HAVE SIMILAR PROBLEMS BEFORE YOU BREAK THE BANK CHECK THE GROUND WIRE. IF YOU TAKE THE LEFT TIRE OFF, AND PULL DOWN ALL THE WHEEL WELL STUFF YOU CAN SEE THE RIGHT FUEL PUMP HARNESS, IF NOT YOU MAY HAVE TO DROP THE TANK A LITTLE TO SEE IT.

ide be askin for a refund also

But its really hard to diagnose a problem like that. Doesnt throw codes so they play wackamole and keep throwing parts at it hoping it fixes the issue instead of tracking it down. I have to say i did the same thing no fuel pressure means bad fuel pump in this case no.

Got reamed out on guesses,,,

Always ask a dealership tech, or any tech for that matter........... if they are guessing at the problem and the fix and are they sure that is the problem,,,and that you are NOT paying for guesses.

Checking wiring and wire connections is a pretty basic step in troubleshooting. Especially on intermittent problems.

It's not easy to check, that's why they like to skip it and start swapping parts.

But its really hard to diagnose a problem like that. Doesnt throw codes so they play wackamole and keep throwing parts at it hoping it fixes the issue instead of tracking it down. I have to say i did the same thing no fuel pressure means bad fuel pump in this case no.

My XLR had the engine light come on for first time - just purchasing my 2004 with 111,000 miles, 2 months ago. Drove fine but dropped off at my GM Dealer to be cautious. Any usual reasons for XLR engine light to come on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My check engine light came on because of a bad knock sensor. Knock sensor 2 to be exact.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I am having similar problems.. Intermittant start ..dies while at a red light. non start

i have a 04 with 40k miles..
i have had the dreaded water in rear/trunk ecu sump.
i have replaced the ride control and the top ecu.. and had Tophydraulics redo my hydraulic top pump.
i still need..to have the top reprogramed.

with all that being said.. i am having the non start issues this post was about..
it will crank but not start...it might fire or stumble but not start... let car sit ...then it will start right up. and drive for some distance.. sometimes it will run fine ... and sometimes it will stall comming to a red light.. or while sitting at a red light... when this happens it will not start...
let it sit...and it will start... sometimes.. intermittent.
i am about to go look at the fuel pump grounds..and am hoping this fixes the run issue.

i have also had previously a Mass air flow sensor problem to add to it..my experience with this is the chevy part is the only viable part.. had a problem with a replacement aftermarket mas. but since installing the gm part it has seemed to fix that issue..

so now with the intermittent start/run issue..i about to try the fuel pump grounds..fingers crossed.
for reference.. it will crank .. it just wont fire...
i get the same issues as described also some times it will stumble.. and intermittently it will just start right up and run for a period.. then the problem will repeat...
ill update after i clean the grounds.

Try this!!!

i have a 04 with 40k miles..
i have had the dreaded water in rear/trunk ecu sump.
i have replaced the ride control and the top ecu.. and had Tophydraulics redo my hydraulic top pump.
i still need..to have the top reprogramed.

with all that being said.. i am having the non start issues this post was about..
it will crank but not start...it might fire or stumble but not start... let car sit ...then it will start right up. and drive for some distance.. sometimes it will run fine ... and sometimes it will stall comming to a red light.. or while sitting at a red light... when this happens it will not start...
let it sit...and it will start... sometimes.. intermittent.
i am about to go look at the fuel pump grounds..and am hoping this fixes the run issue.

i have also had previously a Mass air flow sensor problem to add to it..my experience with this is the chevy part is the only viable part.. had a problem with a replacement aftermarket mas. but since installing the gm part it has seemed to fix that issue..

so now with the intermittent start/run issue..i about to try the fuel pump grounds..fingers crossed.
for reference.. it will crank .. it just wont fire...
i get the same issues as described also some times it will stumble.. and intermittently it will just start right up and run for a period.. then the problem will repeat...
ill update after i clean the grounds.

YOU O RINGS IN THE FUEL LINE ON FUEL PUMPS MAYBE GONE. REPLACE THE FUEL LINES AND I THINK THAT WILL SOLVE YOUR PROBLEM.
I ALSO CHANGED THE TUBE THAT CONNECTS THE TWO FUEL PUMPS AND THAT SOLVED MY PROBLEM.

CALL ME IF YOU WANT 803-269-0514 LOU.

I have been going through this since last year!!! May I give you a call? This is EXACTLY what has been going on with my 2004 XLR, and I think this simple ground was overlooked because of the code being thrown for the catalytic converter.

Hi Allanteguy
i went through the same a few years back and have fixed mine i wrote an article on this in the forums somewhere 770-771-2398 /Alan

There is also a post somewhere about grounds. Connections become corroded and can cause this type of problem. Do a search. I think one member isolated his intermittent starting issue to a bad ground on the starter. Simply removed the ground, sandpapered both surfaces and reattached. There are something like 7 places that are critical ground locations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nerkpowers-Thank you!! I am checking the grounds I know of and can reach- and have an appointment set up for Friday with my shop. I'm hoping to find a diagram or minimum a location, of all 7 critical grounds so I am prepared and handy so I don't get snake bitten on the hours of labor to trace grounds by the shop!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom