Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

After Market lower grill

Steve Lee

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
I want to buy and install an After Market lower grill, in my 2005 XLR. Question: Do I have to make a "cut out" in the original plastic grill to install the After Market one, or does it just mount flush on the original one??? Also is the upper After Market Grill a fairly easy install? I was a mechanic in my 20's, and 30's and can do quite a lot of things like that; I'm just trying to get a feel for it from someone who has installed one. Thanks for any help!

lower grill

the lower grills I have seen are just the little center section in wire mesh. The ones I have just have a little wing nut on them to hold them over the existing center grill. I would remove the factory center if it was me. the upper is also just a couple of nuts and washers and a couple of push in clips. I find it easier to remove the bumper cover but I can do that it about 15-20 minutes The factory upper grille snaps into the bumper cover on the lower edge. It needs to be warm or its hard to come apart. The bumper has a slot that he grill slips and clips into. Its rather hard to release without splitting the slot unless you can heat it and use a good thin tool to release it.

The metal mesh grills really look nice on the XLR, however there's one thing to consider: The lower grill has the potential to affect the Adaptive Cruise Control, which is why the XLR-V's don't have it -they use a regular cruise control. Think microwave oven small mesh holes on the glass to prevent radar waves from escaping; it's the same principle.

That being said, I have read of a few owners who did the install and said their ACC still functioned, while others weren't so lucky. Whatever you decide, make sure you can return the lower grill if it affects your car adversely, and take into consideration any physical changes that would prevent you from restoring the lower section back to a stock appearance if it doesn't work out.

If ACC isn't anything you ever use, than the above isn't applicable.

CC :wave:

Last edited:
lower mesh grill

I guess they must make 2 styles. the ones I have are just the center section and does not cover the plastic over the cruise control module on each side. I made a mesh one for my 09 bumper and removed the plastic cover and the cruise works fine. I will say my lower grille on t he 09 is plastic and has larger openings than the fine wire mesh

Me too

I bought some chrome mesh - slightly larger mesh than V-model mesh - and installed it over the existing plastic grill. Looks great and ACC still works fine.

MESH

I bought some chrome mesh - slightly larger mesh than V-model mesh - and installed it over the existing plastic grill. Looks great and ACC still works fine.
funny, you can get larger than OEM or smaller than OEM but no one, even China has the same size. I talked with a company that makes the mesh a while back when I wanted some for my CTS-V and they could make it but would have to make a lot of it to justify. So I went with the slightly larger. Looked fine

XLR-V Grille Question

Jumping in this thread with a few grille questions of my own. Hoping some of you who have been around the block with lower grilles can help me out.

My '06 XLR-V had a mishap at some point that knocked out the lower grille. The mesh portion was in the trunk when I bought it (seller was very upfront about it), but it looks like the plastic chrome border has only a small portion left (pics below).

My original plan was to get a replacement OEM XLR-V mesh lower grille, but those appear to be pretty much non-existent. Before going to an aftermarket lower grille I want to give salvaging the original mesh at try.

My plan is to make a replacement chrome border with Cowles flexible chrome trim, which should pass from a distance. My issue is what to use to fasten the grille back on the bumper.

It looks like there are corresponding flat, rectangular slots on the grille (red arrows in pic) and bumper for some type of clip to snap into, but I can't for the life of me find the right part. Some of the other clips/fasteners I've seen look like they might work (or a really small zip tie if I get desperate), but if someone knows what the OEM clip is, I'd like to stick with that if I can.

Thanks if anyone can point me in the right direction!

Attachments

• 20171104_125224.jpg
    20171104_125224.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 639
  • 20171114_080712.jpg
    20171114_080712.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 521
  • 20171114_080928.jpg
    20171114_080928.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 550
20181225_132940.jpg
Do you know who sells this lower grill small accident need to replace mine

that looks like a factory gm V grille on the upper. If there is no black plate behind the emblem In the center, pretty sure its factory the only aftermarket I know E&G sells just a little center piece for the lower.

I had my EXCELLENT body shop body owner remove and repaint my front bumper face, so while it was there he installed it. It's actually 2 pieces; the main grill and the small lower one, and it makes the car POP!!! It really adds to the overall looks!!!I'm very glad that I did it, that factory grill is so lack luster; What were they thinking when they came up with that piece of junk on a $100,000.0 car???? CRAZY!!!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom