Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Aftermarket warranty

I just purchased one about a month ago. I didn't know what direction to take so I did the safe bet and went through the Better Business Bureau where they have a top 10 best and most reliable. Mine is covered bumber to bumper through 2018 and up to 110,000 miles. The great part is they offer a variety of payment plans up to a 24 months and I pick where it gets repaired and I have no deductible. I sleep so much better at night knowing she's covered.

Would love to know who you chose!:)

GMPP

Took car in for tiny fluid leak. I have the gmpp warranty, thank goodness! They found 3 leaks that require the whole engine to be taken apart, as well as 2 leaky struts. Dealer put in wrong code on the struts and told me that gm wouldn't cover at a cost to me of around 2,900.00. I called GM and got correct repair code and am getting the struts free of charge. Only time I have used the GM warranty in 3 years, but more than paid for itself. Car has been in shop 2 weeks, and have been driving a new ATS loaner. My GMPP warranty expires next month unfortunately, and I am still shopping for a new aftermarket warranty. Costco site has been down 2 months for new customer inquiries.

Any suggestions on a good aftermarket warranty that covers everything such as entertainment center and top?

I was offered and bought a 5 year or 100k which comes first from Route66 I only paid $1800 when I refi the car loan to PenFed Credit Union in March 2011. They don't pay for anything considered regular maintenance, any replacement fluids, the shocks I think this is what your calling struts where not covered, I had a leaking one but replaced both fronts, some hoses and diagnostics to find out what needs repair. Even at that I've got that $1800 paid for at least 3 times, they just rebuilt the rear end for slipping plates, cost around $2 grand a lone, before that repaired the leaks for oil , maybe the same as yours, another hefty bill around $1500 before that a front coolant leak and few other repairs I say it well over $4500 they have covered, so over all they don't cover everything but I do think there ok but still cost me out of pocket too, there is a lot of different choices to choose from but which one the best not sure. But I do know with the name Cadillac the car quite costly for repairs either way! I guess do your home work before you purchase one. Forgot to mention they did pay the labor on those repair,
GOOD LUCK!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Sorry it's late...

Would love to know who you chose!:)

Sorry this is so late. This is the first time I've viewed this status since January... But to answer your question I chose Carchex. They seem to cover everything I wanted covered and their options with payments help a lot. Also, at the very start they didn't hide anything from me. They told me that like most extended warranty companies theres a period of time before the warranty kicks in. This was 1000 miles and after I told him my car doesn't come out during the winter and going part of the summer without coverage was an issue for me he told me the lowest he could switch it to was 200 miles and so it was done... Because we all know 200 miles will pass the first HOT day on the pavement....lol.

At the time I checked the BBB the top 3 companies were #1. Endurance (Who took close to a week to return calls and answer questions), #2. Carchex (Same day call back and THAT was a weekend) and #3. Warranty direct... -- The BBB give you a complete work up on all.

Hope this helps...

Took car in for tiny fluid leak. I have the gmpp warranty, thank goodness! They found 3 leaks that require the whole engine to be taken apart, as well as 2 leaky struts. Dealer put in wrong code on the struts and told me that gm wouldn't cover at a cost to me of around 2,900.00. I called GM and got correct repair code and am getting the struts free of charge. Only time I have used the GM warranty in 3 years, but more than paid for itself. Car has been in shop 2 weeks, and have been driving a new ATS loaner. My GMPP warranty expires next month unfortunately, and I am still shopping for a new aftermarket warranty. Costco site has been down 2 months for new customer inquiries.

Any suggestions on a good aftermarket warranty that covers everything such as entertainment center and top?

xlrator could you please let the rest of us know the correct repair code as stated, (Dealer put in wrong code on the struts and told me that gm wouldn't cover at a cost to me of around 2,900.00. I called GM and got correct repair code and am getting the struts free of charge).

As for the warranty if you haven't got one yet, I have the one through carchex, and it did pay for the top pump. I can't speak to the entertainment center from personal experience, though in the coverage I paid for states that it does.

I would be interested in others comments and experiences, should be help to all new buyers.

I too am at the crossroads, GMPP Major Guard runs out in about a week and I need a new extended warranty plan. Went to my dealer to renew and was told due to the cars age I could only get GMPP Value Guard @ $3300 - $4200 depending on deductible for 24 months/24,000 miles :pat:. Did a little research on CARCHEX and found some alarming complaints about their service that can be read here. Warranty America, Carchex - Extended Warranty failures, Review 263486 | Complaints Board - Page 2 It seems that most of the complaints are in the Midwest and west coast. So if anyone has any bad experiences with Century (Costco), Carchex or Endurance, please chime in.......
:cool:

From Capital GMC:
With your current mileage your max coverage would be Value Guard plan and 24/24000 months or miles.

For a $50 deductible your price would be: $4140
For a $100 deductible your price would be: $3840
For a $200 deductible your price would be : $3315
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Another plan that they offer.......

First Extended Comprehensive Plan

$50 Deductible: $4560
$100 Deductible: $3855
$200 Deductible: $3111

Last edited:
Do not get a quote from Carchex unless you love getting tons of calls and mail from them..

Last edited:
Do not get a quote from Carchex unless you love geeting tons of calls and mail from them..

Found that out today.....called several times and only let the phone ring twice......wth :dunno:. By the time I got to the phone they hung up and all other times did not even let the phone ring enough times to leave a message.

Also found out that they will not cover the car with the Corsa exhaust, even though it is licensed by GM and was installed by a GM dealer. :dunno:

FWIW.......Century Warranty Services (Fidelity, Costco) now only sell through dealerships.

Last edited:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back