Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Anyone install idatalink on the XLR

My XLR/V(s)
The Kenwood DNX696S is in and working fine with all of the steering wheel controls operating.
I'd like to activate the Vehicle Information and Gauges functions but Idatalink doesn't list the XLR on their website.
Has anyone installed this on their XLR?
Is there another module that will work?
Thanks,
Ron

Does it list the 2005 Cadillac SRX? Or the 2005 Corvette?

It might work with one of those, the SRX had the Northstar too. Someone else with more knowledge of the ECM could answer better.

Idatalink only works with single wire GMLAN.

I have been recording the stock radio's Class 2 messages and been experimenting with a Raspberry PI 4 to mimic the messages. That Raspberry may make a good car radio yet; has more computational power than all the modules in the XLR combined.

You could use the Idatalink Maestro RR (full OnStar, Bose Amplifier control, steering wheel control, backup camera...so nice) in the XLR by connecting it to an ELM IC (most OBD2 readers have them) controlled by the I2C interface on a Pi. The GMLAN messages would be sent to a small software program running on the Pi that would parse them into Class 2 (J1850) messages then send them out to the J1850 network and vice versa. Not the easiest thing to do, but there some really nice radios that work with the Maestro. I think the closest topology offered would be the 2006 Cadillac DTS (RR-GMS05-DS). 04-06 SRX is not supported.

I've be listening to my "Kill Bill Vol 1," CD stuck in my CD player for the thousandth time and am highly motivated to replace the whole obsolete system.

You could use the Idatalink Maestro RR (full OnStar, Bose Amplifier control, steering wheel control, backup camera...so nice) in the XLR by connecting it to an ELM IC (most OBD2 readers have them) controlled by the I2C interface on a Pi. The GMLAN messages would be sent to a small software program running on the Pi that would parse them into Class 2 (J1850) messages then send them out to the J1850 network and vice versa. Not the easiest thing to do, but there some really nice radios that work with the Maestro. I think the closest topology offered would be the 2006 Cadillac DTS (RR-GMS05-DS). 04-06 SRX is not supported.

I've be listening to my "Kill Bill Vol 1," CD stuck in my CD player for the thousandth time and am highly motivated to replace the whole obsolete system.

Interesting. I think I have a grasp on it, but can you explain how the Pi would work in this case, particularly the small software program?

The actual message structure of GMLAN (J2411) and J1850 are similar. I'm not talking about the electrical voltages, topology and data speeds; they are different, but the ELM IC can deal with that. A software program running on an energy efficient SBC that can send and receive both J2411 and J1850 and parse the bytes of the messages for the two networks to communicate with each other. This is currently being done in the XLR BCM which acts as a gateway between HS J2411-2 and J1850.

If you're going to sniff the bus for commands to control the amp, you can send test commands through the ODBII port from a Tech 2. Good way to check the commands are the same from the radio. Sending commands on the bus can be dangerous..

I have not been able to use a Tech 2 to see the actual Hex messages. I could be wrong, but I don't think that's possible with a Tech 2. I use a Netway 72 series device for packet sniffing.

Yea, just out sending messages without proper CRC and following bus traffic protocol can be dangerous especially if your playing around with a network that the braking and stability control system is on. I use junkyard modules connected in network for testing before I do anything in vehicle.

GM communication network.

Z1

Here is the GM communication network topology, so that the members could understand better your thecnical expose.

IAN :thumbsup

@    ID_Fig2X_GM_Topology[1].jpg

GM Manual for

Z1.

Download this 2004 XLR manual SErVICE KNOW HOW from google it is free, you will be please of all the diagrams availables for your XLR, you could fine the answerts for the XLR infocenter, and the GMLAN/Class2 informations.

The vehicule interface communication module is a vital components for many features of the car, the diagrams could inform you of the system.

Relacing the ampli, I beleive that Rexster was one of the first to do this conversion with an updated sound system.

Good luck.

IAN.:wave:
Training manual.jpg

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry