Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Replaced Radio/Navigation unit in my 2009

Hal-in-Prescott

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2009 XLR Platinum
I decided to upgrade the radio/navigation system in my 2009 XLR. With no current maps available, and no interface with newer services (like Apple CarPlay,) I decided to bring the navigation/entertainment system into the 21th century!
Yesterday, I had a Kenwood DMX957XR system installed. It totally replaced the old navigation, radio, CD player, etc. without losing any of the existing Cadillac functions like steering controls, backup sensor, heads-up display, etc. I added the Sirius/XM module as well so have that functionality as well. Navigation now comes from Apple CarPlay, using the constantly updated Apple (or Google) maps. Full hands free phone functionality, talking text messaging, and all other functions we have on our smart phones. I love it!
It did require the replacement of the center dash "fascia." However, the replacement fascia looks great. See the attached photo.
I am very happy with the result, especially the expanded hands free functionality!
I will be selling the old system, as well as the original dash fascia. These are from a 20k mile car so close to new! If anyone is interested in these parts, send me a private message. Thanks. Hal

Attachments

• Cadillac-XLR-New-Radio 003.JPG
    Cadillac-XLR-New-Radio 003.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 265
  • Cadillac-XLR-New-Radio 005.JPG
    Cadillac-XLR-New-Radio 005.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 233
  • Cadillac-XLR-New-Radio 006.JPG
    Cadillac-XLR-New-Radio 006.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 208
  • Cadillac-XLR-New-Radio 007.JPG
    Cadillac-XLR-New-Radio 007.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 183
  • Cadillac-XLR-New-Radio 008.JPG
    Cadillac-XLR-New-Radio 008.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 171
  • Cadillac-XLR-New-Radio 009.JPG
    Cadillac-XLR-New-Radio 009.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 180
  • Cadillac-XLR-New-Radio 010.JPG
    Cadillac-XLR-New-Radio 010.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 175
  • Cadillac-XLR-New-Radio 011.JPG
    Cadillac-XLR-New-Radio 011.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 245
Do you have the voice commands thru the button on the steering wheel?
Did they have to run a new microphone somewhere in the interior as well?

Do you have the voice commands thru the button on the steering wheel?
Did they have to run a new microphone somewhere in the interior as well?
I believe I have all the same steering controls as were standard with the car, plus the new voice commends now for Apple Car Play. I do believe my microphone is new (up at top left of the windshield) but I honestly don't know where the original mic was. I only had the car a few weeks before the change. I also have a XM radio receiver/antenna? on the dash over near the corner by the passenger area. Very clean install! I've since had a dash cam installed that runs continuous when the car is running. Again, wires hidden and connect to a hidden USB point somewhere. Love it.

Thanks for info Hal.

Sounds like a nice job and improvement!
Good you found a reliable place for install, I have a hard time trusting places to work on my collector cars, so do a lot myself.

I did find the facia cover on Metra website, as well as other connections they have, for others wanting to think about this.

Did you have a backup camera installed as well?
I have gotten so used to B/U cameras on newer cars we have, I put one on my 2001 GMC truck that I converted to a new stereo and on my 67 Nova.
Probably will update the XLR and our C5 at some point too.

Thanks for info Hal.

Good you found a reliable place for install, I have a hard time trusting places to work on my collector cars, so do a lot myself.

I did find the facia cover on Metra website, as well as other connections they have, for others wanting to think about this.

I have gotten so used to B/U cameras on newer cars we have, I put one on my 2001 GMC truck that I converted to a new stereo and on my 67 Nova.
I did not put in a backup camera. I guess I'm the opposite of you: I don't "trust" the one in my C7 Corvette (doesn't "beep",) don't have one in my old Escalade, (never had one in the 62 Corvette,) so I'm still "old school" - use my mirrors and my head!

Yeah, I hear you!
One can get crutched by a back up camera and then when I get in our C5 or my 57 Chevy, I have to do things the “old way”! Lol 😆

Does your C7 have a front camera too?
I thought they did, which can help from curb killing the front end!

Front cameras were available starting in 2016, with the 2lt package. Don’t trust those either. Good to gauge.

@rexster:
Easy way to make it look better would be to vinyl wrap it (carbon fiber or wood look) or paint it. They come black ABS so easy to make look better if you want. I would probably do something like that if I ever update mine.

As long as Hal is happy with it is all that matters. We all have different tastes and priorities.

@rexster:
Easy way to make it look better would be to vinyl wrap it (carbon fiber or wood look) or paint it. They come black ABS so easy to make look better if you want. I would probably do something like that if I ever update mine.

As long as Hal is happy with it is all that matters. We all have different tastes and priorities.
I'm sure he's happy with it. I'm happy stating my opinion as well.

You have to excuse me, but that faceplate is just plain butt ugly. Doesn't do the car any favors.
I agree it would look better with some wood trim like the original. The black dash pad, in my opinion, made it acceptable. I do like the suggestion of some sort of "wrap" over some of the black. Perhaps I'll look into who might be able to do something like that. All that said, the added functionality of the radio (mainly Car-play,) is worth the compromise (to me!)

@ Both:
How is your new systems radio reception, when using FM?
I installed a Kenwood in my GMC truck and a Jensen in my 67 Nova.
Both do not have great reception for some stations in my area, when compared to my Std XLR radio or my 2023 Malibu radio.
I know the "tuner" is what makes a better radio, so maybe that is difference.
Both radios were in the $300-500 range, so maybe aftermarket radios do not have great tuners until you get to like $800?
I'm sure where you guys are, is flatter terrain and FM signals are better too.
Thanks,

@ Both:
How is your new systems radio reception, when using FM?
I installed a Kenwood in my GMC truck and a Jensen in my 67 Nova.
Both do not have great reception for some stations in my area, when compared to my Std XLR radio or my 2023 Malibu radio.
I know the "tuner" is what makes a better radio, so maybe that is difference.
Both radios were in the $300-500 range, so maybe aftermarket radios do not have great tuners until you get to like $800?
I'm sure where you guys are, is flatter terrain and FM signals are better too.
Thanks,
I don't really have any issue, except for stations with low power. I'm in a very hilly area. The "weak" signals I get now are the same ones I got on my original radio in my 04 Escalade. I didn't keep the original radio in my XLR long enough to compare.

Thanks for info Hal.

I also updated my 2008 radio for navigation. I purchased a back up camera along with my new dash radio, but no one will install it. I never thought about how to "navigate" the trunk with the hard top mechanics being numerous and tight fitting. If anyone gets someone to install a back up camera, I am interested in seeing how the wires are routed.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom