Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Back up sensor popped out

My XLR/V(s)
2005 Black XLR, 2013 XTS Platinum Black Diamond Tricoat
First, I tried doing a search for a similar thread but didn't see one. I went to a car wash last week and the guy with the spray wand popped out one of the sensors on my back bumper(last one on passenger side). Since the bumper is sealed, how do I get into the bumper to replace the sensor?

Oooh, for such a simple thing, this fix is seems like a lot of easy work. You'll need to remove the rear fascia. To avoid this happening in the future, the next time you go to the car wash and the Wand Guy shows up, ask to borrow the wand, and then smack him over the head with it. Twice. He either won't wash your car, or at the very least, won't break anything else.

Tools:

1 six-pack.
Torque screw driver with appropriate bits
Basic plastic trim tool kit
Socket set
An able-bodied assistant who won't drink your beer.

1) Raise the Rear Deck Lid.
2) Raise and support the rear of the vehicle.
3) Remove the Tail Lamps:

a) Remove the caps covering the tail/turn lamp mounting screws.
b) Remove the mounting screws.
c) Pull the tail lamp straight back to release it from the rear quarter panel.
d) Disconnect the electrical connector.
e) Place the tail lamp next to a cold six-pack.
f) Have a beer.
g) Repeat steps a-f for the opposite side.
h) When re-installing the mounting screws, torque to 18 in/lb.

4) Okay, back to the Rear Fascia:

a) Remove the (5) push-pin fasteners on the top of the fascia. A set of plastic trim tools (with one that looks like a little forked crow bar) is essential. Otherwise you'll need to buy extra push pins. These break easily on a good day.
b) Remove the (4) lower fascia fasteners on the lower/rear of the fascia.
c) Loosen the rear wheelhouse panels. You may need to remove the rear tires to access the screws and push pins.
d) Remove the nuts (3 on each side) attaching the fascia to the quarter panels.
e) Disconnect the electrical connector on the harness on the right side of the fascia that goes to the object sensors.
f) With the aid of the able-bodied assistant that isn't drinking your beer, pull the fascia rearward and place it on a towel, the grass, or just have them hold it while you down another beer.

Depending on how easy it is to access the loose sensor that Mr. Wand knocked out, you may be able to get it back into place between steps d and e. In that case, look for the retaining ring that is probably flopping around on the wiring harness. Place the sensor in it's receptacle and slide the retaining ring into place, securing the sensor. It might not be a bad idea to press against all of the sensor retaining rings while you're back there.

Have another beer and then reverse the disassembly procedure. When you get back to step 1, drink any remaining beers, then ask your assistant to stand behind the car as you slowly back out --to test the sensors. If you hit him, the sensor may be faulty or the electrical connector is still disconnected. Or, he wasn't paying attention because he was drinking your beer when you weren't looking. If that's the case, pull forward and place the car in reverse again.

On the off-chance he's still able to walk afterwards, help him get into the passenger seat and take him to the car wash. Call Mr. Wand over, drop the top, (for dramatic effect) and show him how you treat your friends. Repeat as necessary.

Good luck! (With everything. . . )

CC :wave:

CC, I think I'm going to go through all your fix-it posts like this one and make a binder out of them. You always give out good info while being quite humorous doing it.

Might wanna stop at the store for more beer after all that work for you and the assistant. :thumbsup exactly why I would never go to car wash. 8 dollar hr. kids washing "scratching" cars.:(

I don't go to automatic car washes period. Had a 91 Cadillac Sedan de Ville that had it's painted on pinstripes literally stripped off from the brushes. On trips I'll go to the self car wash, put a gun under my shirt and wash/dry the car myself with towels either from my hotel or ones I bring along with me, and I'll have a bottle of spray detailer in the passenger side cubby to finish the job.

Thank you

CC, thank you for the time and effort to give me the full breakdown on how to fix this problem. I have had the XLR now for over 3 years, and this forum has been a lifesaver. The first week I had the car the transmission cable broke, and that threw me for a loop trying to figure out why nothing on the car was working. I signed on to the site from a restaurant parking lot, and was able to find the info here right away. Later that year my windshield wipers quit working. Cadillac dealer wanted to replace the whole system, read here about the fuse problems and fixed it for $18. I also sometimes don't appreciate how nice my car is after 3.5 years, and after spending time on the forum and reading for a couple of hours, do appreciate what a great car the XLR is and making sure the car is in top shape. Will let you know again next week how I feel after going through the process above to replace a sensor...
thanks again CC

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back