Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

GM Press Release Battery / Battery Minder Issues - Battery won't charge past certain point!

MrSmoke

My XLR/V(s)
2008 Crystal Red XLR-V
After driving for 30 minutes or so, my battery will read between 12.5 - 12.7V, which is low. The next morning, generally speaking, my battery will read as little as 12.09V. I recently connected a Battery Minder to my battery directly, while still in the car. The battery read 12.1V before connecting it. The lights would indicate that it is charging , as the battery is below 12.5V. I checked it nearly 12 hours later, and the lights indicated that it is in maintenance mode, as the charge is greater than 12.5 V, However, the battery would read no more than 12.69V. I tried again over the course of the next 12 hours and still my battery would only read at 12.65V. Is my battery bad? Is there anything I should try differently? Also, if I need a new battery, what is the best recommended battery for an XLR-V and why?

Note: I bought the Battery Minder 1500 which outputs at 1.5 A during charge stage. I connected the battery using the positive and negative terminals. The Battery Minder also indicated desulfation occurring throughout every stage. I use a cigarette lighter plugin device to read the exact voltage of the battery, always being sure that the engine is off, so as not to read the alternator. The alternator itself reads between 14.1-14.5V output. (Tested with engine ON)

Perhaps next time you can post in the proper location instead of GM Press Release section. It's kinda confusing:wave:

Apologies, thought I was in tech forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry