Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Bigger battery

CadillacSam

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 Thunder Gray
Hello everybody,

after having battery issues nearly once a year I read a lot about batteries here on the board.
I always used best quality batteries from Varta, almost every month connected the car to an intelligent battery charger,
but after 1 or 1,5 years the battery is dead again.

Now I equipped it with the biggest battery (new Exide, 75 Ah) possible that fits into the space but the
dashboard now shows an error with the loading system.

Does anyone know if a bigger battery has to be programmed to the XLR or what's wrong?
Battery is new and I tested it with a battery tester and battery charger - both show it is fine.

Thanks a lot and stay healthy in these times,
Sammy

Cadillac Sam, You stated that almost every month you connect a battery charger. What I do with my XLR is have it on a battery maintainer all the time. If I am using the car today I put the maintainer on at the end of the day and it stays on til I use the car again. The battery in one of my XLR's is about 7 years old. If you are using a charger you could be overcharging.
John F.

That's what I meant with an "intelligent charger", contains maintenance procedures. No over charging. What size do you use?
Has the BCM or ECM to be told what battery it is?

It's a small Battery Tender, I think it's called an 800. The key is not to charge the battery any more just keep it at its current level.
John F.

Thanks, but what I wanted to know is if you have to tell the ECM what battery is installed via scanner or Tech2.

no. Its called battery registry and is required on most 2017 and up cars to keep the car from overcharging a new battery when its replaced. the XLR will take any 12 volt battery and it does not know the difference. a battery tender should keep it topped off and not need a charge if its a good battery

Thanks, I also couldn't find it with the Tech2, but wanted to be sure.
Well I use one of the battery charger / tender that was test winner over the last years from CTek. And the last 2 batteries were Vartas, best German make for car batteries. Use them in my 06 STS and they work fine with it.

Thanks, I also couldn't find it with the Tech2, but wanted to be sure.
Well I use one of the battery charger / tender that was test winner over the last years from CTek. And the last 2 batteries were Vartas, best German make for car batteries. Use them in my 06 STS and they work fine with it.
I think we sell a battery at the store, its a diehard rated at 690 CC Group 86-2

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom