Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Body panels: Repair or replace?

grue

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
'05 XLR
It appears the previous owner of my car ran something over at some point, and there's a hole on the bottom of the passenger fender on the underside, about the size of a child's palm, with a crack as well. I only noticed it by chance when I was picking up something I dropped and went "Wait WHAT?". In addition there's a bit of rash where the fender meets the bumper, a minor scrape from a garage wall or something. Nothing major but notable for context.

WHen it comes to replacement, it looks like the part can be had for around $750 plus paint, but I'm not sure if I might be better off looking into having the panel repaired, as I don't know if the SMC is suitable for that.

Any input appreciated.

Last edited:
Yes, SMC can be repaired, but it may cost as much as a painted replacement panel. Your best bet is to have a good body shop give you an estimate.

CC :wave:

Yes, SMC can be repaired, but it may cost as much as a painted replacement panel. Your best bet is to have a good body shop give you an estimate.

CC, is the trunk/deck lid SMC? is it repaired like fiberglass?

Great question!

The Hood, Doors, Roof, Sail panels, Rear Tonneau, and Rear Deck Lid are all composed of SMC (Sheet Molded Compound.) The actual fender material is called RRIM (Reinforced Reaction Injection Molded.) All can be repaired using polyester repair putty or in the case of flexible panels, Compoxy Repair Materials. GM has approved repair procedures for all of the exterior body surfaces, that any good body shop should have access to.

Great question!

The Hood, Doors, Roof, Sail panels, Rear Tonneau, and Rear Deck Lid are all composed of SMC (Sheet Molded Compound.) The actual fender material is called RRIM (Reinforced Reaction Injection Molded.) All can be repaired using polyester repair putty or in the case of flexible panels, Compoxy Repair Materials. GM has approved repair procedures for all of the exterior body surfaces, that any good body shop should have access to.

Thanks. Have a hairline crack I need to get fixed. This helps lots.

From your description of the damage - someone didn't use lifting pucks.

We had a crack & a smaller hole repaired on the passenger front fender of one of ours (later found out the rim was bent on that side so think the prior owner ran over something). You'd never know anything ever happened. Wasn't cheap though!

We had a crack & a smaller hole repaired on the passenger front fender of one of ours (later found out the rim was bent on that side so think the prior owner ran over something). You'd never know anything ever happened. Wasn't cheap though!

Sounds similar! How much did it come out to if you don't mind my asking?

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom