Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

News: Brake mods

Stella

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004xlr
Was looking to upgrade brakes on xlr to cross drilled and in my research found some similarities? Question is are a z51 brake set up just a larger rotor than a base c6. Found the caliper brackets" abutments" that look to just increase the distance from caliper to center of rotor? Calipers look the same except corvette badging. Looks like the stock18/8.5 might work really close to I.d. Of rim but 19's should clear no problem. Are the brakes on the xlr and the v the same? Would think they would be larger? Any info on subjects would be great:wave:

Was looking to upgrade brakes on xlr to cross drilled and in my research found some similarities? Question is are a z51 brake set up just a larger rotor than a base c6. Found the caliper brackets" abutments" that look to just increase the distance from caliper to center of rotor? Calipers look the same except corvette badging. Looks like the stock18/8.5 might work really close to I.d. Of rim but 19's should clear no problem. Are the brakes on the xlr and the v the same? Would think they would be larger? Any info on subjects would be great:wave:

Not knowing too much about how Corvette brakes are vs the XLR brakes; I do know that the XLR-V brakes are different than the Base XLR brakes. Are they interchangeable? I do not know :dunno:... but the XLR calipers have "XLR" on them, the V-Series has the "V" logo.

Was looking to upgrade brakes on xlr

Just curious here. Is there a problem with your stock brakes? Do they not stop the car well? Do you have problems with brake fade? Are they ineffective in the rain?

Curious as to what problem you are experiencing.

Thanks guys. I already know about the writing on the calipers, doesn't change what they are. If anything the rotor sizes would be thicker or larger o.d. Nothing wrong with brakes, do believe they could be better. I'm never satisfied with stock and if I'm gonna replace the rotors why not look into the best stuff out there. A lot of salvage vets out there. Just gotta be a little creative. I'm very surprised about the knowledge of the forum's out there not a lot of performance mods made. I think a lot of the vet mods will work for our cars, yes you'll have to be careful but more available, even used? Really don't like the cookie cutter mod options out there. Way over priced, expectually for h.p. Gains rip off! Sorry just think their would be more out their.:mad:

Hello

I installed base C6 slotted and drilled rotors and pads on my 05 XLR the first week I owned it. The original pads and rotors that were on the car were fine, I did have a mild squeal from the rear left wheel with light braking, but I am pretty sure cleaning and lubing the caliper slide pins would have solved it. I got all four rotors and pads for 275.00 at my local Corvette World. Installation was the easiest brake job I have ever done. The shop would have installed for 125.00 and taken them about 30 minutes. I did the job in an hour on my driveway. Make sure you use the jack pucks to protect your body/rockers.

The vette's Z51 package upgrades the brakes to drilled and slotted rotors and bigger calipers. I don't know if they are from the Z06 though, and I don't know if they are similar to what the XLR-V gets.

I didn't drive my car long enough to be able to tell you if going to the slotted and drilled rotors made a difference. I do like that they are zinc coated and will not rust around the hub. The stockers looked horrible with all of the rust visible through the chrome wheels.

I do agree with you that there are going to be tidbits that we can steal from the Vette world to put on our cars, but it is going to be uncharted water as the few vette performance places that I have contacted don't know much about the XLR.

Bill

Thanks for the replies. Seems their is two options go with the big 6,4 piston caliper with a 13.2 o.d. Front and 13 rear. Or get z51 brake abutments which brings the calipers outward to allow a larger rotor 13.2 front and 13 rear. Haven't found anything about bigger calipers at all. If looking at them they look the same? The only thing I can see coming in to play without doing yet is the caliper on the xlr is only a 1" maybe a little more away from the inside of the rim. Now if that's the only thing that means the future 19's will solve that. Thinking though like the 06,07 years I believe came with 18's. Wanted to do a brake job and if buying a set of brackets, and different part number for rotors can give me ALOT more rotor surface that's easy math in my book! Springs not far away:willy_nilly:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom