Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Broken Vanity Light Covers

rexster314

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Base Infrared
I've seen quite a few posts here and on the other XLR forums about the broken hinges on their X's vanity lights. I was no different when we bought our X almost two weeks ago. Yesterday I decided to see how I could repair these things without popping $120-150 on each one. I figured they would be easier to work on in the house so I removed both of the sun visors using a T15 driver; took about 10 minutes to do that and to disconnect the electrical connection plugs. After looking at the other unbroken hinge it looked like I could turn my Dremel tool loose so using a small burr bit I began removing material from both sides of the lid. Luckily the plastic loop had not broken off, just the pin on the cover itself. After removing material in the shape of a channel, I got a couple of small cabinet nails, cut one down to the length of the channel I had just made and put it in the channel, through the plastic loop on the sunvisor itself and out the other side. Once I was satisfied as to how it fit (I had to remove a little more material so the repaired hinge wouldn't bind) I mixed up some J-B Quik Weld, and being careful to not get any of the stuff on the actual hinge, covered the nail on both sides. After letting both visors repairs cure over night (even though it was quik weld) I checked them this morning and Voila!, lifting up and down on the cover was perfect. Reinstalled them this morning took all of 15 minutes to do both sides and I'm happy. I didn't grind the repair down too much, as I didn't want to weaken the repair. Most people wont even notice it. I just need to wipe it down to get the rest of the dust off.
This was a homebrew fix but a worthwhile one for me.

Attachments

• 2015-10-15 10.14.jpg
    2015-10-15 10.14.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 300
sun visor

I've seen quite a few posts here and on the other XLR forums about the broken hinges on their X's vanity lights. I was no different when we bought our X almost two weeks ago. Yesterday I decided to see how I could repair these things without popping $120-150 on each one. I figured they would be easier to work on in the house so I removed both of the sun visors using a T15 driver; took about 10 minutes to do that and to disconnect the electrical connection plugs. After looking at the other unbroken hinge it looked like I could turn my Dremel tool loose so using a small burr bit I began removing material from both sides of the lid. Luckily the plastic loop had not broken off, just the pin on the cover itself. After removing material in the shape of a channel, I got a couple of small cabinet nails, cut one down to the length of the channel I had just made and put it in the channel, through the plastic loop on the sunvisor itself and out the other side. Once I was satisfied as to how it fit (I had to remove a little more material so the repaired hinge wouldn't bind) I mixed up some J-B Quik Weld, and being careful to not get any of the stuff on the actual hinge, covered the nail on both sides. After letting both visors repairs cure over night (even though it was quik weld) I checked them this morning and Voila!, lifting up and down on the cover was perfect. Reinstalled them this morning took all of 15 minutes to do both sides and I'm happy. I didn't grind the repair down too much, as I didn't want to weaken the repair. Most people wont even notice it. I just need to wipe it down to get the rest of the dust off.
This was a homebrew fix but a worthwhile one for me.

thanks so much

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back