Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Bubble Gum Problem

rexster314

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Base Infrared
Last week found me with a wad of bubble gum stuck on the passenger side seat. I only saw it after a 75 mile trip and it had already hardened to an extent.
An ice cube applied to the stuff helped me to get most of it off, but in doing so, I managed to remove the coloring (shale) in a few small spots. To say I was ****ed doesn't do the feeling justice.
After an internet search and looking at a LOT of solutions, I decided on Magic Mender which offered Cadillac colors and if, upon arrival, it was the wrong color I could send the dye package back and exchange it for a different color at a reduced price. It arrived today, and following instructions made the repair. In the bottle it's darker, but after using the sponge applicator and feathering the dye out, it's as perfect a match possible. After applying you use a hair dryer for faster results, which I did.
The pictures I took show before and after application. It still has to completely dry, but I believe it's a home run.
I also applied this stuff to the plastic (shale) door sills where there were some scuff marks that I just couldn't remove, and the dye covered them to appear like new.

Magic Mender® | Leather Repair Kit | Over 1500 Colors to Choose From

Attachments

• seat before and after dyeing.jpg
    seat before and after dyeing.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 460
Good info REX

dc487XMdi.jpg

7994358392_9f00006327_b.jpg

Two items not allowed in our cars

The Co-pilot was chewing the stuff, rolled the window down, chunked it out, but didn't realize the wad blew back inside till we stopped about an hour later.

Next time the copilot goes out the window!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Next time the copilot goes out the window!

I'm making a label "NO GUM ALLOWED" and sticking it on the right side of the car's dash.

It was an easy fix and fairly simple and cheap, but I'd rather not do it again. It did make the plastic door sill look brand new tho'

Last week found me with a wad of bubble gum stuck on the passenger side seat. I only saw it after a 75 mile trip and it had already hardened to an extent.
An ice cube applied to the stuff helped me to get most of it off, but in doing so, I managed to remove the coloring (shale) in a few small spots. To say I was ****ed doesn't do the feeling justice.
After an internet search and looking at a LOT of solutions, I decided on Magic Mender which offered Cadillac colors and if, upon arrival, it was the wrong color I could send the dye package back and exchange it for a different color at a reduced price. It arrived today, and following instructions made the repair. In the bottle it's darker, but after using the sponge applicator and feathering the dye out, it's as perfect a match possible. After applying you use a hair dryer for faster results, which I did.
The pictures I took show before and after application. It still has to completely dry, but I believe it's a home run.
I also applied this stuff to the plastic (shale) door sills where there were some scuff marks that I just couldn't remove, and the dye covered them to appear like new.

Magic Mender® | Leather Repair Kit | Over 1500 Colors to Choose From

Those "Bubblegummers" can be lots of trouble..........

I need some touch up on my gear shift handle what color for shale did you pick that was prefect?

In my case, the number for the 04/06 models was Shale, #6985

On my laptop screen it really looks dark, I looked at it on my desktop monitor that is color calibrated for Photoshop and it's slightly lighter.
With some trepidation I put a spot of it on the side of the seat before attempting it on the spot and after a minute or two of a hair dryer, it was pretty much spot on. I knew I could send it back, but it dried perfectly and today, 24 hours later, the fix is damn near perfect. All I got was just the color flex itself, not the repair kit. I have seen a couple of XLRs that needed that repair kit though, as the owners just didn't take care of the leather properly

In my case, the number for the 04/06 models was Shale, #6985

On my laptop screen it really looks dark, I looked at it on my desktop monitor that is color calibrated for Photoshop and it's slightly lighter.
With some trepidation I put a spot of it on the side of the seat before attempting it on the spot and after a minute or two of a hair dryer, it was pretty much spot on. I knew I could send it back, but it dried perfectly and today, 24 hours later, the fix is damn near perfect. All I got was just the color flex itself, not the repair kit. I have seen a couple of XLRs that needed that repair kit though, as the owners just didn't take care of the leather properly

Thank you I'll be ordering some, a tip I've learned that works well at for cleaning the leather is Magic Erasers, but also found that a few years ago I had a guy spray match part of the seat and later, had that panel replaced, he had some over spray on the seat area an Magic Eraser had removed the overspray off that area! So it may remove it off your spot!

Thank you I'll be ordering some, a tip I've learned that works well at for cleaning the leather is Magic Erasers, but also found that a few years ago I had a guy spray match part of the seat and later, had that panel replaced, he had some over spray on the seat area an Magic Eraser had removed the overspray off that area! So it may remove it off your spot!

Thanks, but the actual color was stripped off the leather. Just a couple of ugly dark brown spots that stood out light a searchlight. The ColorFlex stuff filled in the color and I feathered it out to blend in better.

Well mine came today now to find some time to play with it!

Rexster, how has this stuff held up over the last couple of years? Got a well worn SUV seat we’re thinking about fixing.

Rexster, how has this stuff held up over the last couple of years? Got a well worn SUV seat we’re thinking about fixing.

Still there, no different than that result almost 3 years ago. Haven't had occasion to use it again, but probably will redo the kick panels on the doors when the car comes out of the shop

Just curious ,,, why is your car in the shop?

Just curious ,,, why is your car in the shop?

It started out with a problem with the EBCM and a short in the steering rack. Took it in to a local Caddy dealer, David Taylor/Sterling McCall on January 15th. It's been there ever since. Next thing was lower control arms wallowed out, then front shocks leaking. They were putting it back together and dropped a bolt into the netherlands of the left fender. To get the bolt out properly, they had to remove the entire power pack from underneath the car. Then they couldn't get an EBCM from Cadillac, found a place that rebuilds them. Installed the part, but it was wrong model of EBCM, sent it back got a replacement. Then the replaced steering rack was faulty. Cadillac is sending another rack, but been waiting on it for a month. It took them a month to drop the power pack and replace it. Then the tech got sick and was out for several weeks. I check in with them every two weeks. They gave me a loaner when I dropped the car off back in January and we've been driving an XT5 since then. Cadillac bit the bullet and is paying for the shocks, rack and EBCM. It's been so long it's a comedy, a very dark comedy.

Thanks, just the info I was looking for.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom