Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

butterfly valve

fahad1984

My XLR/V(s)
2009 red XLR-V
Hi every one,

I was thinking to put a switch to keep the butterfly valve open all the time to have the nice sound all the time and to keep the engine more relax, so will have better performance. Is that information true??

If so, then why it's equipped with this valve and what is the benefit of it?

If you know this valve is blocking the two exhausts in the meddle, and when the rpm reaches 3 or 4 then it opens to release more emissions and have this sound.

Is this also affect the fuel consumption or not??

Hi every one,

I was thinking to put a switch to keep the butterfly valve open all the time to have the nice sound all the time and to keep the engine more relax, so will have better performance. Is that information true??

If so, then why it's equipped with this valve and what is the benefit of it?

If you know this valve is blocking the two exhausts in the meddle, and when the rpm reaches 3 or 4 then it opens to release more emissions and have this sound.

Is this also affect the fuel consumption or not??

The reason it is there is for quieter operation when performance is not needed. I do not think it will make any difference on anything other than sound.

The switch you are looking for is the mild2wild XLR version. Like Phrede, I leave mine open most of the time.

This is what you need:

MILD 2 WILD XLR Version

I haven't noticed a difference in mpg. I drive it like a bat out of hell either or. :cool:

Mike

there is any way to fix it with out any wire cutting.

from the fuse cabine like the corrvette or any other way??

there is any way to fix it with out any wire cutting.

from the fuse cabine like the corrvette or any other way??
Yes, I think you can. The exhaust control module is located in the same well in the trunk as the hydraulic pump and control board for the top. I believe you can just unplug the connector from it and the exhaust valves will remain open. On my V the module was stuck to the side of the well in the trunk with some kind of sticky tar like substance. I'll have to look at my manual to see which connector to unplug. There are several modules in there and you want to get the right one and the right plug, but as I remember there was only one or maybe two wires coming out of the plug that needs to be disconnected.

Yes, I think you can. The exhaust control module is located in the same well in the trunk as the hydraulic pump and control board for the top. I believe you can just unplug the connector from it and the exhaust valves will remain open. On my V the module was stuck to the side of the well in the trunk with some kind of sticky tar like substance. I'll have to look at my manual to see which connector to unplug. There are several modules in there and you want to get the right one and the right plug, but as I remember there was only one or maybe two wires coming out of the plug that needs to be disconnected.

you mean by just unpluging the right one, will have the valve open all the time without installing the switch??

you mean by just unpluging the right one, will have the valve open all the time without installing the switch??

If you look at the mild2wild instructions, it shows the white plug to disconnect. Unplug it and see if it stays open. The only down side is.......DRONE on the highway. The best way to solve that problem is with Corsa exhaust which has ZERO drone. I put the mild2wild switch on my V because I would kill myself if I had to listen to the drone on a long ride. Mild2wild is $64 and the Corsa is around $2 grand installed. I will eventually put Corsa on my V but I'm using the $$$$ towards other goodies right now.

Good Luck. :wave:

Unplugging the connector from the module will cause the exhaust to be "open" 100% of the time.

The only time I have a problem with droning is at 60-80 MPH on the highway with the roof up. I very rarely run with the roof up or at those speeds for long. When that does happen I simply switch to quiet mode. I also switch to quiet mode when at a drive through or when being "stealthy" like in subdivisions at 2AM.

The Mild-2-Wild is nice because it is wireless to the cabin. If you wanted you could install an simple switch that would open the connection when a louder exhaust was desired.

20130604_154501.jpg

Actually you can unplug either plug on that module to open the exhaust up. I just cut the brown wire (the only one going to the black plug) and put a switch in series with it and mounted the switch in the console so I can turn it off or on when I want, but if you don't mind the noise you can just unplug it and your ready to go.

Thank you all for your valuable information.

I think I know now what to do. :cool:

Butterfly

Fahad, I probably was the first one in 06 to find the exhaust control unit in the trunk and I cut the red wire, added wire to both ends and tunneled them into the center console with a rocker switch, (be careful where you mount it or the lid won't close.) Then came "mild to wild" and wished I had waited. Choice is yours. Leaving the exhaust wide open while idling can throw your traction control light on, if this happens switch it to mild. Bobo
Control module #2.jpg Control module #3.jpg New Toggle switch.jpg Exhaust Baffle.jpg

Attachments

• V Exhaust Plate3.jpg
    V Exhaust Plate3.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 482
  • Switch install 1.jpg
    Switch install 1.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 421
Fahad, I probably was the first one in 06 to find the exhaust control unit in the trunk and I cut the red wire, added wire to both ends and tunneled them into the center console with a rocker switch, (be careful where you mount it or the lid won't close.) Then came "mild to wild" and wished I had waited. Choice is yours. Leaving the exhaust wide open while idling can throw your traction control light on, if this happens switch it to mild. Bobo
View attachment 3033 View attachment 3034 View attachment 3035 View attachment 3036

FWIW, I leave my '08 in the "open" position for extended periods, including idling and have never gotten the traction control light.

I guess I got the lemon. Everything is valuable on here and not everything relates to the same end game. That said,Yea, I used to do that too, but I think the open exhaust is triggering the T/C. My T/C light was coming on and I turned the wild off to listen to someone that came up to the car, the light went off and has not come back on until I went to wild again and sure enough the light comes on. I have left it in normal operation and has never come on again and I used to have the T/C come on 10 times a day. Mine is an 06 and probably yours being an 08 hasn't had the abuse my exhaust has had, so when this does happen to you, remember this post. I have over 140 codes that read T/C off in seven years.:banghead:
FWIW, I leave my '08 in the "open" position for extended periods, including idling and have never gotten the traction control light.

mild to wild?????

since I am just starting to rebuild this beauty it seems that there is something new I learn on this site everyday. Mine sounds pretty awesome when I start it up but since I have yet to have it on the road I have no Idea what you are referring to...care to tune me in ? mine is an 06 V Rocky

I guess I got the lemon. Everything is valuable on here and not everything relates to the same end game. That said,Yea, I used to do that too, but I think the open exhaust is triggering the T/C. My T/C light was coming on and I turned the wild off to listen to someone that came up to the car, the light went off and has not come back on until I went to wild again and sure enough the light comes on. I have left it in normal operation and has never come on again and I used to have the T/C come on 10 times a day. Mine is an 06 and probably yours being an 08 hasn't had the abuse my exhaust has had, so when this does happen to you, remember this post. I have over 140 codes that read T/C off in seven years.:banghead:

How many miles after you started running things open did the light start coming on? I have about 10k on mine running open. There may be a difference due to the model years?? I'm running the M2W and wired per their instructions. I don't remember if it is in the red wire, maybe that is different? I would be interested to hear if anyone else has had the issue while running the open side of the exhaust.

since I am just starting to rebuild this beauty it seems that there is something new I learn on this site everyday. Mine sounds pretty awesome when I start it up but since I have yet to have it on the road I have no Idea what you are referring to...care to tune me in ? mine is an 06 V Rocky

Mild to Wild, or a switch is used to remove control of the exhaust from the car (above 3000 RPM and lots of throttle) and gives you control of when it is open. There is a vacuum operated valve the controls the exhaust routing.

I chose to run mine open almost 100% of the time. Drive thrus are one exception. I personally like the sound of the stock exhaust when open. It will droan if the roof is up at low highway speeds. Something I rarely do, but thats me. If it does occur and bothers you just hit the button and things are quiet as stock.

MILD 2 WILD XLR Version

HTH

Mild to Wild, or a switch is used to remove control of the exhaust from the car (above 3000 RPM and lots of throttle) and gives you control of when it is open. There is a vacuum operated valve the controls the exhaust routing.

I chose to run mine open almost 100% of the time. Drive thrus are one exception. I personally like the sound of the stock exhaust when open. It will droan if the roof is up at low highway speeds. Something I rarely do, but thats me. If it does occur and bothers you just hit the button and things are quiet as stock.

MILD 2 WILD XLR Version

HTH

thanks for the link phrede

Intermittently for probably the last four years, and has gotten worse the last year. I used to just stop at a light and shut it off and the light would go out. The red wire is just the hot wire, if you cut it while running you will here it go to wild. I would suggest the M2W because it's cleaner and you can just hit the button on the visor which it is hooked up too.:dunno:
How many miles after you started running things open did the light start coming on? I have about 10k on mine running open. There may be a difference due to the model years?? I'm running the M2W and wired per their instructions. I don't remember if it is in the red wire, maybe that is different? I would be interested to hear if anyone else has had the issue while running the open side of the exhaust.

Rocky, Boy are you in for a real treat when you find out all the things this car is capable of doing. Just for starters, there is a rocker switch by your right leg on the console. When you start the car watch your DIC and press once and the T/C light will come on warning you that you are now driving a wild hair, press it again and you are in performance mode which changes a lot of parameters of the car including shift points, stabilitrak handling etc. Tech Guy can probably give you all that this feature does. If you put your window up and it comes down and half way back up you have a problem called indexing. a lot of members have had that problem but here's one you can fix yourself. Put the window up and hold the button down and count to 5, then put your window down and hold for another 5 seconds. Done. There's alternate methods to this fix, this is just one of them. NEVER EVER put your top up and down without starting the car, very small battery and unless its new will falter on you really quick. You'll get a lot of good input & help on this site.:wave:Bobo

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom