Staff member
Site Administrator
My XLR/V(s)
Not yet!
Cadillac Crest Evolves to Reflect Brand Growth

Change follows brand’s product-driven renaissance

2014-01-14

attachment.php

The Cadillac Crest. Longer, lower, leaner. Ongoing evolution of Art + Science Begins to appear in production second half of 2014

DETROIT – Cadillac is introducing an evolution of the historic Cadillac Crest, a revision in synch with new products such as the award-winning 2014 CTS and 2015 ATS Coupe. The new Cadillac Crest will begin appearing on vehicles in the second half of 2014.

The unmistakable Cadillac Crest has a heritage of evolution, marking new eras. Cadillac’s product and design advances are moving the brand forward. The Cadillac Crest evolves now to reflect this growth, just as it has for more than 111 years.

Sleeker and streamlined, the revised Crest first appeared on the Elmiraj concept in 2013.

“The Crest remains a consistent symbol of Cadillac and our core values,” said Andrew Smith, Cadillac executive design director. “This new Crest matches the lower, longer, leaner mantra of our current car designs, and reflects the evolution of our Art and Science philosophy.”

Accompanied over the years by a crown, chevron or laurel wreath, the Crest has been the central aspect of Cadillac heraldry throughout the brand’s history. It was last revised in 1999.

The latest update sharpens the focus on the Crest. Cadillac’s characteristic script lettering remains.

“Our goal was to evolve the emblem design to integrate with the new vehicle form while maintaining the core graphic elements that preserve its strong brand recognition,” Smith said. “This resulted in retaining the iconic ‘crest’ shape and color palette with geometric grid from the original Cadillac family ‘coat of arms.’”

The update to the Crest occurs amid significant growth for the brand. Cadillac is the fastest-growing full-line luxury auto brand, building on a 22-percent sales increase in the U.S. in 2013.

This month marks the U.S. debut of the ELR, an electrified luxury coupe featuring 340 miles of driving range. Later in 2014, Cadillac will launch the next-generation Escalade luxury SUV and the 2015 ATS Coupe.

About Cadillac

Cadillac has been a leading luxury auto brand since 1902. Today Cadillac is growing globally, driven by an expanding product portfolio featuring dramatic design and technology. More information on Cadillac appears at www.cadillac.com. Cadillac's media website with information, images and video can be found at media.cadillac.com.

# # #​

attachment.php

Cadillac’s unmistakable symbol has a tradition of evolution. 38 variations in total, tracing to these six landmark designs.

Attachments

• TheCadillacCrest.jpg
    TheCadillacCrest.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 869
  • CadillacLogoHistoryFINAL.jpg
    CadillacLogoHistoryFINAL.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 693
I still miss the ducks! :chuckle

Maybe my military background is subconsciously influencing my opinion, but I will truly miss the wreath. In the military, you can tell the expertise of an individual by the accessories on their occupation badge:
no accessories: basic - most likely a newbie still in training
a star on top: senior - trained, but most likely little real world experience
a star and wreath: Master! - an expert in his field, more experience than 90% in his field in all aspects from operational, maintenance, deployment, tactical and strategic usage

I have two occupation badges with wreaths and they were a source of pride and accomplishment that are recognized worldwide. I remember once when I was in a heated discussion with a field commander about one of my designs, the commander stopped in the middle of the conversation and asked me to stand up. He conspicuously checked out my awards and badges, and immediately ended the conversation with, "Just prove it!" You couldn't wipe the grin off my face with a 2x4, and I did prove it worked (ALE-47 automated missile defense for F-15/F-16/A-10).

The wreath is the marque of the highest level training, experience, and expertise... a fitting addition for the top of the line GM vehicles. Ditching the wreath seems like a downgrade to me, but that just my personal biases showing.

On a personal note, What an I going to do with my ELWOOD Emblem overlays now?
wsxflageyesoverlay.jpg

Maybe my military background is subconsciously influencing my opinion, but I will truly miss the wreath. In the military, you can tell the expertise of an individual by the accessories on their occupation badge:
no accessories: basic - most likely a newbie still in training
a star on top: senior - trained, but most likely little real world experience
a star and wreath: Master! - an expert in his field, more experience than 90% in his field in all aspects from operational, maintenance, deployment, tactical and strategic usage

I have two occupation badges with wreaths and they were a source of pride and accomplishment that are recognized worldwide. I remember once when I was in a heated discussion with a field commander about one of my designs, the commander stopped in the middle of the conversation and asked me to stand up. He conspicuously checked out my awards and badges, and immediately ended the conversation with, "Just prove it!" You couldn't wipe the grin off my face with a 2x4, and I did prove it worked (ALE-47 automated missile defense for F-15/F-16/A-10).

The wreath is the marque of the highest level training, experience, and expertise... a fitting addition for the top of the line GM vehicles. Ditching the wreath seems like a downgrade to me, but that just my personal biases showing.

On a personal note, What an I going to do with my ELWOOD Emblem overlays now?
wsxflageyesoverlay.jpg

Together,Elwood and his owner have more auto crossing /racing experience than 90% of other XLR's and owners, so in that way you can say that they have been earned their wreath.
How is Elwood going to take the news that he needs to go on a diet to reflect the " leaner mantra" of the Cadillac brand?

Together,Elwood and his owner have more auto crossing /racing experience than 90% of other XLR's and owners, so in that way you can say that they have been earned their wreath.
How is Elwood going to take the news that he needs to go on a diet to reflect the " leaner mantra" of the Cadillac brand?

“The Crest remains a consistent symbol of Cadillac and our core values,” said Andrew Smith, Cadillac executive design director. “This new Crest matches the lower, longer, leaner mantra of our current car designs, and reflects the evolution of our Art and Science philosophy.”

Let's see. Between the Z06 springs, HardBar lowering bolts and 265/35/18 tires lowers it 2 1/2 inches; the lip spoiler and the rear diffuser adds 6 inches longer; and bumping the boost back up to 24lbs of boost with sporadic 10.9 AFR is pretty lean. This year should be interesting.

Giz is determined to find the weak link in our XLRs.

Let's see. Between the Z06 springs, HardBar lowering bolts and 265/35/18 tires lowers it 2 1/2 inches; the lip spoiler and the rear diffuser adds 6 inches longer; and bumping the boost back up to 24lbs of boost with sporadic 10.9 AFR is pretty lean. This year should be interesting.

Giz... You don't have any problems with the 265 width tires? You say 2 1/2 inches lowered, is that a combo of the tires and the lowering bolts? This makes me wonder if I can put 265/40-19's on my V (?)

I'm changing the subject of the tread here. Maybe I should have moved this question (?).

Last edited:
They should have replaced the wreath with the "V" that used to be under the crest, especially since they still use the "V" in the design, like putting it on the seats. I think that would look sharp!

Very well put gizmo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very well put gizmo and xlrating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry