Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

can i drive my 04xlr with the driver door open after a hit and run

xlr&ls1

My XLR/V(s)
2004 xlr
after a hit and run in a paking lot i was able to get my car with a tow truck to my garage because the door would not close anymore...
i was going to take it to a bodyshop, but the car wont go into gear ,
now with the car ON or the ACC MODE ON , i can still change the shifter into R N OR D but it wont go anywere, it only revs up after pushing the gas when the car is ON.
it wont even go into neutral so i can push it out ....but i can still move the shifter
the dash keeps putting driver door open .... could this be the reason why it wont get into any gear , , , or my transmission it went bad
what could be the problem
how can i solve this ,
any information would be highly appreciated
thanks !!!

I back mine into my parking spot with the door open all the time. The door being open is your problem. How hard was it hit?
Bruce

I back mine into my parking spot with the door open all the time. The door being open is your problem. How hard was it hit?
Bruce

it was hit pretty hard all my outside panel got broken and the window and the lock mechanisim where the door secures is all pushed in

Shifter linkage

I think it could be your shifter linkage has become disconnected and won't move the transmission out of park. There's a thread about this somewhere but I haven't found it yet. There is a linakge that goes from the shifter handle back to the tranny and it is either broken or has come apart. I think you have to take the shifter handle off to access. Look for the thread on it and I will also continue to look. That could be your problem.

Larry

We had the linkage break. Shifter would appear to move through all the gears, but the car was stuck in reverse. Knew we had a problem when the car appeared to be in drive & then started rolling backwards. Once cut off it wouldn't start anymore because it wasn't in park. Here's a link to what I posted on it; sorry I didn't put more details on how the car was acting when this happened:

https://www.xlr-net.com/forums/cadi...-happened-beautys-tranny-pictures-follow.html

It sounds like yours is probably stuck in park since you can start it.

We had the linkage break. Shifter would appear to move through all the gears, but the car was stuck in reverse. Knew we had a problem when the car appeared to be in drive & then started rolling backwards. Once cut off it wouldn't start anymore because it wasn't in park. Here's a link to what I posted on it; sorry I didn't put more details on how the car was acting when this happened:

https://www.xlr-net.com/forums/cadi...-happened-beautys-tranny-pictures-follow.html

It sounds like yours is probably stuck in park since you can start it.

Ok, so you all guys can get in your car and not close the door ,turn it on, put i on reverse with the door still open and dash saying left door ajar, and backing up with the door still open ,and no have no problems doing it???

1st i though because the car was in some sort on security mode that it wouldnt let me drive with the door open(because we are not suppose to be driving with the doors open)...

But then it wont even go in neutral when i move the shifter in neutral.and when the car is on and is on reverse the reverse lights WONT come ON
Im going to lift the car and check for that cable and hope i can figure it out

Ok, so you all guys can get in your car and not close the door ,turn it on, put i on reverse with the door still open and dash saying left door ajar, and backing up with the door still open ,and no have no problems doing it???

1st i though because the car was in some sort on security mode that it wouldnt let me drive with the door open(because we are not suppose to be driving with the doors open)...

But then it wont even go in neutral when i move the shifter in neutral.and when the car is on and is on reverse the reverse lights WONT come ON
Im going to lift the car and check for that cable and hope i can figure it out

I'm pretty sure the door being open has nothing to do with your shifting problem.

The shift cable hooks to the shifter under the console and runs down inside the tunnel under the car. In order to get to the cable you have to remove the tunnel plate which has a dozens of bolts and you also need to break loose the exhaust system.

The gear shifter head is removed with a torx wrench. Both of my XLR's came with one in the glove box. I believe it's a T15??? You need to pry down the plastic cover under the shifter head to expose the torx screw. Loosen it and the shifter head will slide off. The cover around the shifter is held by clips and you need to pry it up easy so you don't break anything. Inside you will see all the sensors that activates the reverse lights and so forth.

As far as how the sensors line up or work, I haven't had to deal with that yet. Hope this helps.

Mike

THANKS GUYS !!!!!!! found the problem as you all said the shift cable was hanging and it wasnt touching the transmission .... did a lil of fixing myself so i can move it around in the meatime before i get a new shift cable 20130310_175058.jpg

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom