Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Canadian, on the hunt !

ATSCADDY

My XLR/V(s)
on the hunt
Currently, my wife and I have an ATS. It will be going back in the spring, and I am wanting to replace it with an XLR, V preferably. Wanting to do my homework, so my question is/are:

Is there a year I should stay away from?
Is there a year, better than another?
What should I watch out for?
Any red flags?
Any difference between US / Canadian model V's?

I am excited about the hunt & hope I land one.
Thanks for any and all information,
Tim - aka: ATSCADDY

Currently, my wife and I have an ATS. It will be going back in the spring, and I am wanting to replace it with an XLR, V preferably. Wanting to do my homework, so my question is/are:

Any red flags?

Morning Tim - welcome!

I'd say you would do well to try to focus in on a couple of things before you go hunting. Perhaps simple stuff like colour and interior, and a really helpful page is right here on this very site: Cadillac XLR Registry for 2004 - 2009 Cadillac XLRs and XLR-V

Obviously General Motors improved things as the years went on so later the better more or less. Best as I understand, 2004 and 2005 models liked to cook their headlights and (anyone, correct me if I'm wrong please), after that it was a non-issue. Headlights and taillights are currently about the most expensive in the world so any car you do look at from any year, make sure they're all working properly and preferably not all crispy inside.

If you do look at the page I linked above, you'll see that not many XLR/Vs made it anywhere during the later years. They are rare and in good condition, very costly. I don't know what your budget is but it is certainly something to consider as you could in fact own a couple of XLRs versus one XLR-V. This always struck me as a bit silly because there's no way you can really use the power it makes unless you take it to a track....ah, to each their own I suppose.

The V is definitely more collectible if that's what you want to do with it. You would without a doubt find the best ones in the US of A (largest market). If you haven't imported a car from there before, it's not that hard - however depending how all this virus shtuff goes, you may need to figure a few work-arounds for transportation with the borders being restricted.

Canadian versus US models: Canadian 'Export' models get a nicer (imho) speedometer: metric to 260 km/h which the kid in me seems to find more appropriate than the 160 mph US version. I don't know if the daytime running lights were standard in the US during all model years - doesn't much matter because the circuitry is there and unlike much older cars, doesn't take any effort to get a US car to conform to Canadian law. Oh, and of course the US speedo being mph doesn't even really matter as it's push-button 'change to metric'.

There's no doubt a heap of other little details that may or may not be of interest or concern to you regarding model year differences. You would do well to google some old road tests and you can read of the changes as the years went by. There's also any car's specific options which the registry here has covered in depth, so you need to consider what you really want / need, and is said option still valid / useful today. An example might be the radio as I see some folks tossing the original for something more modern for whatever reason.

This is a handy link to keep: https://www.kijiji.ca/b-cars-trucks/canada/xlr/k0c174l0?sort=priceAsc , as it hits XLRs Canada-wide. I can tell you that the majority of those have been on that list for over a year and only the realistically priced ones have come and gone. That list will drop to only a handful come Autumn as the cars get tucked away for winter. My point: if you're really hunting, be ready - the 'good versus value' move really quick.

eBay.com (not .ca) lists a handful, CarsForSale.com (US) lists some beauties too.

I would highly recommend avoiding any car that's been 'rebuilt' (accident repair), though if you're just looking for something to drive around in, hey, if it was done right and the price is good, who cares. I wouldn't go near anything that's had flood damage: the XLR is much too 'electric' and they are glitchy enough without having been drowned.

Perhaps a final point at this moment would be the operation of the roof. If you plan on driving it as a convertible, get to know the system intimately. A site sponsor here TopHydraulics has some outstanding videos on their website and they're worth the time to watch for sure. Inevitably even the last XLR off the line will eventually need 'roof maintenance' if it gets used, and that can be quite costly.

Neat to know you appreciate the car, Tim. We seem to be a rather 'select' group of masochists and all in all, it's not a really desirable vehicle today for so many reasons...but that doesn't stop anyone with a passion for something out of the ordinary now does it. :)

HTH!

Gord :thumbsup

ATSCADDY, I have heard there were a number of improvements with the top mechanism in the 06 and newer and for that reason I would buy an 06 or newer. My 06 has both lights burned and my 07 has one light just starting. My 06 Base is a nice ride. Rides like a Caddy with a sports feel. My 07 V rides like a Vette. it's rougher and is extremely quick. You have to be careful. if I was taking along trip I would take the base as I really feel it's a more comfortable ride. One of my cars is kept in the U.S. and there are dealerships and individuals that can work on the car and repair it. Canada is a little different. If I have problem here I am not sure how I would go about getting it fixed as most of the dealers have no idea. These are great cars and if you buy one you will love it. I never park somewhere and walk away without looking back.
John F.

Gord provided you with terrific information, and i would like to add just a few minor points to consider. First: buy the lowest mileage and best maintained XLR you can afford. Most of these cars have experienced a "series" of owners who held them for a relatively short time, and then sold them... while a high mileage XLR may be half the price of a low mileage one, and I had budgeted around 15K, the more I looked and researched the greater the appeal was for one with low mileage and a few owners... You can know just how many people owned a car, and some were held, loved, and driven by "mature" drivers-- that's a major plus. ALso, these are durable cars, but the service life on all the fluids is a concern... have they been changed? Does a prospect car have documentation of preventative maintenance. And finally, I would underscore Gord's comment about the V--- they do retain a high level of resale value, but you may find a great XLR without the V, but is sporting the V grill, so while you're a "pretender," you may be saving a bunch of cash. Also, when you test drive these cars, you'll be overwhelmed at how unlike a sports car they are for around town driving. They are extraordinarily quite, uniquely smooth riding, and the driving experience may shift your understanding about how you'll use the car. THey are, without doubt, extraordinary in so many ways. Hope you find a great one that you can love for many years. Keep us in the loop as you search. James

Any red flags?

Hi Tim,
Don't know where you are in the Great White North but I am not sure where: I am in the Hamilton Ontario area. If you have not yet had a chance to drive an XLR I suggest you take the opportunity to test drive the first one you get a chance to drive. I am actually hoping that you get a chance at an 06/07 or newer 'base' XLR first as I think you will find it to have 'lots of power as it is': it is a light weight, well balance car with fabulous handling and lots of HSP. Obviously the same car with 100+hsp (the V) has more got to 'rock your socks off' but personally I never feel 'left out' in the regular XLR.

Now having said that: Should I be side by side with another XLR- that one being a V - I am sure I will feel 'left out' as they leave me behind. My husband often says that 'he could not own that (my) car' as his is always 'enjoying the acceleration and handling way too much' and would have too many tickets. This is coming from a guy that owns his fare share of hot rod classics etc and his daily driver has a supercharger. I have added a Corsa exhaust which adds a few extra hsp and a very nice growl that announces you are coming and if you 'stand on it', NO ONE can ignore your existence! The Corsa does not have interior 'drone' as some other systems have and it bolts right on: however I took it to an exhaust shop to adapt the factory exhaust tips which I think are too cool to loose to the Corsa 'round' tips. I also added a rear 'V' sway bar (also bolts right on) which added a more controlled feel to the ass end of the car: not that it was sloppy before but it sure Is Not now!

As for input on which year etc. I have an '09 and am truly partial to the obvious visual differences between it and all the previous years. The exterior body changes are the only way you can quickly guess it is an 09 over previous years. (although '04 & 05s have the 'wart' on the trunk which was 'included' but a dealer installed antenna for the Sirus radio) The '09's have a 'ground effects' lower body kit all around including a different front valance, newer styled driving lights, chromed front grill louvres, larger Cadillac wreath and crest in the grill, chromed 'side vents' on the fenders (just before the doors), quite different rear valance with unique twin exhaust tips in the middle at the rear. All '09's were Platinum edition cars (previously a 'package') and are the only year with blue tooth for you cell phone etc. (not an issue if you upgrade the stereo and Nav system as many owners have) Someone correct me if I am wrong but it also has adaptive cruise control which is NOT available with the V's (space/layout issue) and I believe was not available the first few years of production?

Good luck with your quest, you will find a honey I am sure as these cars generally are not driven daily so finding a nice one is not as difficult as you my think. The black ones are sexy, all the colors are hot, but ask anyone (lol) here - the red ones are the fastest!!!(long standing joke)
If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Sandy
:burnout:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry