Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Changed my headlight bulbs (Tips)

W.Parker

My XLR/V(s)
2004 XLR
Good morning fellow XLR-addicts,

I must concede that I am quite pleased to finally take the plunge by joining this knowledgeable and enthusiastic XLR community. I've owned my XLR for nearly 8 years now but I have been lurking in the shadows of this esteemed forum for slightly longer than that, or so it seems ;)

Anywhoo, the xenon bulb has went out on my XLR's driver side headlight so I had to replace it with a shiny new bulb. The process was a bit more involved than changing the bulb on most conventional cars since you need not remove the headlight assemblies on them, but all in all I came away relatively unscathed :lol:

For those who are interested, here are some of my insights into the job:

First, you must take the front tire off. Then, remove the front spash guard (held in by 4 screws and 3 push pins). Find the three bolts underneath the headlight. Believe it or not there's actually 6 or 7 bolts under there but only 3 hold the headlight in place (refer to this XLR headlamp diagram if need be). Get a tiny flashlight and look up in there for three satin-looking stainless bolts (the other 4 on my XLR were black) - those are the ones you want to remove. Once those satin-looking suckers are off, just lift the headlight right out.

Tip: Once you get the headlight unbolted, disconnect the main headlight cable along the inside fenderwell 4 or 5 inches from the opening for adjusting the headlights. Push it as well as the rubber grommet through the fenderwell and work on the headlight safely away from the car. This helps protect the headlight as well as your paint :blinzel:

lights

Thanks for posting your experience with the headlights. I'll file this away for future use.
Jack

Welcome to forum. :cool:

head light

Hi, you don`t have to remove the tire. There is plenty of room to access the front splash shield with the tire still on the car.

Hi, you don`t have to remove the tire. There is plenty of room to access the front splash shield with the tire still on the car.

The key is to turn the tire inwards to clear the screws

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back