Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Check Engine - Auto Zone?

boydavid

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2007 Black Base
MY son has a 2003 Alero, check engine came on so he went to Auto Zone for a free diagnostic, code read catalytic convertor, we replaced, done! My engine light has popped up on my 2007 XLR. I don't believe it's gas cap and car seems to run fine. Question, can Auto Zone accurately diagnose my XLR light or do I need professional help? (for the car, haha!) Thanks.

Boydavid
Lets start with is the check engine light flashing or just staying on ? (Flashing means misfire) You could try Autozone and see what code comes up. The trouble with these cars is they are set up for a tech 2. Some codes do not read on all scanners!I know when I scanned mine for the check engine light(constant) I used my tech 2 code read right bank exhaust error. My shop people used a new snap on scanner and came up with same code. It was passenger cat converter plugged. :dunno:
Bob

"Question, can Auto Zone accurately diagnose my XLR light or do I need professional help?"

I seriously doubt that AutoZone uses an expensive code reader/scanner, like those used at professional repair facilities, and is most likely to only point you in the direction of the 'code light' trouble without pinpointing the exact problem. AutoZone is not in business to 'accurately diagnose' your possible problem.

You say you don't think its the gas cap. How do you know? If you are a DIY/shade tree guesser ,,,,you might start with a new gas cap anyway since the car is nearly 10 years old.

Good luck....:wave:
p z

Boydavid
Lets start with is the check engine light flashing or just staying on ? (Flashing means misfire) You could try Autozone and see what code comes up. The trouble with these cars is they are set up for a tech 2. Some codes do not read on all scanners!I know when I scanned mine for the check engine light(constant) I used my tech 2 code read right bank exhaust error. My shop people used a new snap on scanner and came up with same code. It was passenger cat converter plugged. :dunno:
Bob

Thanks for reply. light not flashing. Probably best to locate a Tech 2. Thanks.

"Question, can Auto Zone accurately diagnose my XLR light or do I need professional help?"

I seriously doubt that AutoZone uses an expensive code reader/scanner, like those used at professional repair facilities, and is most likely to only point you in the direction of the 'code light' trouble without pinpointing the exact problem. AutoZone is not in business to 'accurately diagnose' your possible problem.

You say you don't think its the gas cap. How do you know? If you are a DIY/shade tree guesser ,,,,you might start with a new gas cap anyway since the car is nearly 10 years old.

Good luck....:wave:
p z

I assumed not gas cap since it came on before I needed to fill up. And when I did fill up, cap was on tight. But I suppose new cap won't hurt. Thanks for the help.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom