Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Check engine light

You cannot clear a code just prior to emissions testing, there are readiness tests that need to be performed. Resetting codes will also reset readiness tests and you will fail.

You cannot clear a code just prior to emissions testing, there are readiness tests that need to be performed. Resetting codes will also reset readiness tests and you will fail.

This is true. You need to run the car about 100 miles or so to ensure a state of readiness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My engine light has now been off for about a month. I figured if it came on again I would replace the o2 sensor as that was the problem. In the meantime I was in Harbor Freight today and saw a Cen-tech OBD 11 Scan Tool with ABS. It is Item 60794. It is a $119. It says it will reset the engine light which is what I want. How do I determine if it will work on our XLR's ? My 02 sensor light is not coming on often enough for me to worry about it. My tech calls it a lazy sensor. If I can reset the engine light and drive 50 miles it will pass a California Smog.
Appreciate any imput.
John F.

My engine light has now been off for about a month. I figured if it came on again I would replace the o2 sensor as that was the problem. In the meantime I was in Harbor Freight today and saw a Cen-tech OBD 11 Scan Tool with ABS. It is Item 60794. It is a $119. It says it will reset the engine light which is what I want. How do I determine if it will work on our XLR's ? My 02 sensor light is not coming on often enough for me to worry about it. My tech calls it a lazy sensor. If I can reset the engine light and drive 50 miles it will pass a California Smog.
Appreciate any imput.
John F.

I have had the same intermittent issue for the two plus years I've owned the car. I haven't had a problem with getting it to pass the emissions test in CA. My mechanic has checked it several times and other than updating the engine management software nothing can be done.

Appreciate any imput.
John F.

You can get an ELM 327 bluetooth OBD adapter and the Torque app for around 25 bucks and do the same thing.

Last edited:
My light came on. Code 0139. Set up a time for my repair shop to change the 02 sensor. Right after I scheduled the repair, the light went off. I cancelled the repair. Has anyone else experienced an intermitant problem? What did you do? What was the result? Appreciate any input. Thanks

My light came on. Code 0139. Set up a time for my repair shop to change the 02 sensor. Right after I scheduled the repair, the light went off. I cancelled the repair. Has anyone else experienced an intermitant problem? What did you do? What was the result? Appreciate any input. Thanks

We had a 2004 T-Bird that did that occasionally. In our case we got bad gas. A change in gas stations fixed it for us. Never did change out the sensor

It could also be a bad or loose connection at the oxygen sensor. That just happened on my 2014 Jeep Wrangler.

Sandy, My engine came on twice over the course of the winter and my mechanic turned it off. My car is in storage for the summer now and if it comes on again in the Fall I will order a new 02 sensor as I will have to do a smog test next year and I don't want the car to fail.
John F.

Continuing: had both 02 sensors replaced today. Light was off at repair shop. On the way home, the light came back on @$&@$*#%. Scheduled another visit to the repair shop next week. Let you know what happens

Vacuum Leak Detection Tip, But Be Careful!

I have had similar problem. I took the car to the only Caddy dealer near by several times and was repeatedly told it required a new O2 sensor at $200+ a pop. I finally found a former Cadillac service mgr (semi-retired) to diagnose the problem. He told me they were firing the messenger and not finding the cause. After checking everything he found all intake manifold bolts loose allowing air to enter the system where it shouldn't. He tightened them and reset all parameters and since then all has been fine. Maybe not your problem but that's my story. The take away is to find a competent technician you can trust. Not always easy.

An OBDII Scanner will "put you in the ball park" as to where to look for the problem. It will say something like "Right Bank Running Too Lean", or "Misfire #6 Cylinder". Doesn't tell the Tec precisely what the problem is, just "puts them in the ballpark" as to where to start looking. So then start testing fuel system components under "Too Lean" with a multi meter while looking at know specs for the component.
With 'misfire' then checking electrical components, etc. If available a Tec II Scan will pretty much specifically identify the problem.

Tip. Looking for a suspected vacuum leak, as in this case can be frustrating. Easy way to identify what and where to start looking? Do this, but BE CAREFUL and have a fire extinguisher handy! With engine running use a can of Carb & Choke Cleaner with wand installed and just do little short sprits sprays of typical upper engine vacuum locations. At vacuum hoses and around edge of intake manifold etc. If you hear the engine while idling change RPM, that's where the leak is. This is a lot faster than using a vacuum pump at each location. Yet, remember, Carb & Choke Cleaner is HIGHLY FLAMMABLE, especially on a hot engine. So only do this at initial start up when engine is still cool. A tiny short sprit of the can pointed at suspected leak locations. :cool: --- Known signs of an engine vacuum leak? The engine at idle will surge up and down in RPM.

Cadillac XLR Certified Technician Required.

Continuing: had both 02 sensors replaced today. Light was off at repair shop. On the way home, the light came back on @$&@$*#%. Scheduled another visit to the repair shop next week. Let you know what happens

Not trying to pile on here as a result of your frustration, but a 'correct fix' begins with a 'correct diagnosis'. Essential on these cars as complex as they are that they be diagnosed by a Certified Dealer XLR Technician. Many dealers will tell you something like, "All Our Tecs Are Certified". Ahhh, maybe ASE, but that doesn't mean they are XLR Certified. This is 'special' G.M. Cadillac Division Training Certification for XLR's. Also, the Cadillac Dealer, whoever it is, best have a Tec II Scanner on hand as well as a "Certified XLR Technician".

While XLR certification testing has some questions relating to the powertrain that are XLR-specific, all you need is a trained Northstar tech to work on the engine. The don't need to be XLR-certified (if you are lucky enough to find them anyway.)

As posted, a proper diagnosis leads to a proper repair. As useful as scan tools are, they are not a substitute for troubleshooting knowledge/experience.

CC :wave:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back