Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Check engine light

Is it the general consensus then,that 2006 and up models have ECM's that can be easily accessed and reflashed by a competent and experienced mechanic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what a GM rep told my repair guy

Sandy, My Cadillac dealer told me if the light was on I could just keep driving it. In my case the problem was an 02 sensor. I was also told by the dealer if the engine light started flashing that was a problem and to turn the engine off. I am going to buy one of these scanning tools to turn my light off because the car needs to pass a California smog. If the car didn't need to be tested I wouldn't worry about it as I know it's a sensor problem.
John F.

Thanks John, I'm going to do the same thing

Pardon me if this has been asked, but which code reader is the Best Buy for being able to erase error codes?

My check engine light is still on. Steady light. Thanks for the input. I haven't seen trouble reports re Corsa exhaust either ( or I would not have got one ) but this is what two different shops are telling me.
I'm thinking about the four step method Suggested on YouTube: 1. Get roll of duct tape. 2. Measure size of trouble light. 3. Cut tape the right length. 4. Install tape over light.

What brand (not grade, though premium is recommended) of gas are you using? The CEL should not be on. It might be worth trying a premium brand of gas (if you are not currently) for a while to see if that helps.

What brand (not grade, though premium is recommended) of gas are you using? The CEL should not be on. It might be worth trying a premium brand of gas (if you are not currently) for a while to see if that helps.

I'm using shell mid-grade. I'll go to premium and see if there's any affect

Yes, that could very well be your problem. The octane deficiency would certainly create conditions that would set off the CEL.

Shell is a good brand, but while Cadillac state that the XLR will run on regular grade gas, your X should be run on premium grade, the engine management will take advantage of it.

I might have read that the Shell top grade is a gas to liquid process (ie the opposite of cracking) and that is it very clean as a result. Can anyone confirm this?

Shell is a good brand, but while Cadillac state that the XLR will run on regular grade gas, your X should be run on premium grade, the engine management will take advantage of it.

I might have read that the Shell top grade is a gas to liquid process (ie the opposite of cracking) and that is it very clean as a result. Can anyone confirm this?

Access Denied

Got a cool scanner, So far every time I clear the 0139 code, it comes back within a day, dad gum it 👿

I erased the fault message and filled up with Shell premium. Ten miles later, the check engine light came back on. Back to ground zero!

'You might try cleaning the mass air sensor in the intake. I had an '04 with CAI and Corsa exhaust and got the check engine light a couple of times. The air filters had too much oil and 'dirtied' the sensor. Once I cleaned the sensor and removed the excess oil on the filters and cleared the code everything was fine. It's worth a try.

I erased the fault message and filled up with Shell premium. Ten miles later, the check engine light came back on. Back to ground zero!

'You might try cleaning the mass air sensor in the intake. I had an '04 with CAI and Corsa exhaust and got the check engine light a couple of times. The air filters had too much oil and 'dirtied' the sensor. Once I cleaned the sensor and removed the excess oil on the filters and cleared the code everything was fine. It's worth a try.

How hard is it to remove and clean the MAS?

Cleaning the MAF is a good move too; it takes more than one tank of premium to work through. After three tanks, then time to consider other options. All four O2 sensors have been replaced right? You have had the induction checked for leaks too right? If so, replacing the MAF might be a step (after cleaning it).

It is the "MAF" (Mass Air Flow Sensor)

How hard is it to remove and clean the MAS?

Not hard. It is in the air intake pipes at the top of the front of the engine. Two round ends secured with hose clamps and a kind of square center section with wires running to it and possibly (?) a vacuum line. Remove and clean out with a can of Carb & Choke Cleaner. Or just spray through the vanes while on the car after having first removed the forward most hose. Worth a try. FYI, they are "delicate", and a bit expensive.

Cleaning the MAF is a good move too; it takes more than one tank of premium to work through. After three tanks, then time to consider other options. All four O2 sensors have been replaced right? You have had the induction checked for leaks too right? If so, replacing the MAF might be a step (after cleaning it).

CODE P0139 SOLVED!!!!

LOOSE MANIFOLD BOLTS!!!

THANKS TO YOU GUYS WHO SUGGESTED THIS!!!

After local repair shop, replaced two o2 sensors-$400. Local dealer could'nt find -$100' Tune shop couldn't find - $100.

With my handy dandy 10mm socket, all bolts took 1/4 turn. Right front bolt took two complete turns! Vola! End of engine light!

Bottom line, p0139 can mean leaking manifold!!

Interesting Stuff ! Who'd a Thunk.

CODE P0139 SOLVED!!!!

LOOSE MANIFOLD BOLTS!!!

THANKS TO YOU GUYS WHO SUGGESTED THIS!!!

After local repair shop, replaced two o2 sensors-$400. Local dealer could'nt find -$100' Tune shop couldn't find - $100.

With my handy dandy 10mm socket, all bolts took 1/4 turn. Right front bolt took two complete turns! Vola! End of engine light!

Bottom line, p0139 can mean leaking manifold!!

Wow, after all the turmoil and costs and time, something soooo simple. Never fails. Message here, look for simple things first. Yet our overly complex brains often prevent this. I.e., we miss the obvious because we are 'pre-programmed'. So after all this, LEAKING LOOSE 'EXHAUST' MANIFOLDS AND BOLTS. :cool: Glad you got it solved! Too bad the folks who installed your exhaust system didn't catch this.

Wow, after all the turmoil and costs and time, something soooo simple. Never fails. Message here, look for simple things first. Yet our overly complex brains often prevent this. I.e., we miss the obvious because we are 'pre-programmed'. So after all this, LEAKING LOOSE 'EXHAUST' MANIFOLDS AND BOLTS. :cool: Glad you got it solved! Too bad the folks who installed your exhaust system didn't catch this.

Just to clarify, are we talking about exhaust or intake manifolds?

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back