Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Checking/adding hydraulic fluid to top retraction system?

o2bndair

My XLR/V(s)
2007 Ebony/Cashmere
My top retraction system on my '07 needs a little manual assistance when opening or closing. Is it possible to check and add hydraulic fluid to the system? If so, how do I do it? Do i use regular hydraulic fluid? Photos and/or videos would be helpful.

Thanks for your help.

My top retraction system on my '07 needs a little manual assistance when opening or closing. Is it possible to check and add hydraulic fluid to the system? If so, how do I do it? Do i use regular hydraulic fluid? Photos and/or videos would be helpful.

Thanks for your help.
XLRs use a specific type of hydraulic fluid purchased from the dealer or online. The pump is in the left corner inside of the trunk. Lift the carpet to see it. ACDelco 10-5056
This is all you want to use for this system.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Does this same pump operate the trunk.

My 2005 has recently begun to intermittently fail to open the trunk via the fob or the release inside the car. The top still operates and the trunk will open and close but not otherwise. Once I tried to open the top and got a message that "it was too cold for the top to operate" when it was 80 outside. The next time I tried to open the top, it worked fine. Any ideas?

Yes, there is only one hydraulic pump that pressurizes the folding top system. You can learn a lot about the system by reading posts by other owners who have experienced issues, some of which are just like yours.

A one-time LOW TEMP message is a glitch. If it continues, it might be a symptom that the thermistor in the pump is failing. The thermistor is a safety item to protect the pump from running when it senses it's too hot or cold. It is non-repairable, meaning you have to obtain a new hydraulic pump. New, they run close to $2k - and that doesn't include labor.

CC :wave:

Bleeding the system

i just changed my lify pump, motor and module for the power top. My question is, does system need bleed to remove air after filling with fluid? If so how would one go bout doin this? Surely system must be bleed after changing out the pump ect?

top hydraulic pump repair

Yes, there is only one hydraulic pump that pressurizes the folding top system. You can learn a lot about the system by reading posts by other owners who have experienced issues, some of which are just like yours.

A one-time LOW TEMP message is a glitch. If it continues, it might be a symptom that the thermistor in the pump is failing. The thermistor is a safety item to protect the pump from running when it senses it's too hot or cold. It is non-repairable, meaning you have to obtain a new hydraulic pump. New, they run close to $2k - and that doesn't include labor.

CC :wave:
There is a company in Oregon that will rebuild your pump for $550.00 or any of the 8 cylinders for $125.00 each or all 8 for $900.00. Go to tophydraulics.com. Harry

i just changed my lify pump, motor and module for the power top. My question is, does system need bleed to remove air after filling with fluid? If so how would one go bout doin this? Surely system must be bleed after changing out the pump ect?

Hydraulic systems self bleed with cycling of the cylinders, cycle the top up and down and it will self bleed.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom