Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

chipped paint on roof

batgirl1

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2005 Black xlr
A few months ago, when washing my car for the first time, I noticed a small chip in the paint on the top of the car. Today, I put my top down for the first time. After I put it up, there was a HUGE chip in the roof. I was so upset. I found a service bulletin on this. Has anyone had this trouble? Is it expensive to fix?

On ours, they had to remove and re-paint the roof panel twice. Finally they got it adjusted correctly and to date we haven't seen any new damage or wear; at least not to the roof....

Mine also had to be done twice. The entire top was totally repainted. James got it adjusted and shortened the bolts that were causing the problem. He also rubber coated the bolts and I have had no problems since. I don't know the cost as mine was covered under warranty.

Where on the roof does it rub so I can keep an eye on my car?

Mine was above the driver's door. When the top is down, with the trunk open, you should be able to see where the bottom of the exposed bolts align with the top. That was how James found and corrected the problem with mine.

That's where mine is, too. I noticed that the top isn't going down all the way. It's not exactly flush with the back of the car. There's nothing in the trunk, and I checked the divider to make sure it was in properly. Because it didn't go down all the way, that was probably enough to make the bolt hit the paint.

That's where mine is, too. I noticed that the top isn't going down all the way. It's not exactly flush with the back of the car. There's nothing in the trunk, and I checked the divider to make sure it was in properly. Because it didn't go down all the way, that was probably enough to make the bolt hit the paint.

When the top is stowed in the trunk, open the trunk and pull up on back edge of the folding top to see if is properly secured. If not, the top may need to be adjusted.

Had two marks on my roof which were made by brackets under the trunk lid. Had the roof repaired and repainted all under warrantee.

It's been about a year since then and no marks have reappeared.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom