Cobra attempts to Best the Z06

XLR-V Lover

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2008 Black XLR-V

2008 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 vs. 2008 Ford Shelby GT500KR

FIND OUT WHO WINS, ZO6 OR GT500KR:
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=131034

We're looking at the 2008 Ford Shelby GT500KR and 2008 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, but we're imagining a '68 Shelby GT500KR staging next to a Corvette with one of the 427-cubic-inch V8s on the Connecting Highway in Queens, New York, probably sometime during the Nixon administration. We don't know how the cars are tuned or which driver has the better hole-shot technique, but we're calling our street race in favor of the Vette.

You see, there's no historical basis for a close Corvette-Mustang rivalry. A Corvette of any year is a little too fast and smart to be street racing ratty muscle cars. It's a real sports car, the kind of car that's still fun when you start going around corners.

But maybe it's a different story with this 2008 Ford Shelby GT500KR and 2008 Chevrolet Corvette Z06. Each of these rear-wheel-drive coupes has a V8 rated for more than 500 horsepower at the flywheel. And with the release of the limited-edition 2008 Ford Shelby GT500KR, Ford has moved in on Chevrolet's price territory. The GT500KR leaves the Ford factory as a $46,730 GT500 coupe and is shipped as a rolling chassis to Carroll Shelby's facility near the Las Vegas Motor Speedway in Nevada. By the time the KR cruises out of Shelby's shop, it's an $82,395 Mustang.

As such, the King-of-the-Road Mustang must now contend with this $76,920 2008 Chevrolet Corvette Z06. And though the Z06 is a few horsepower shy of the upcoming ZR1, it's not an easy mark. The GT500KR will have to play like a sports car just to keep up.

Let's face it; the two are just not enough alike to compare head-to-head. Both have real positive traits, one has fewer negative ones. All I can tell you about the GT500 is - it pulls like nothing I have ever owned or built up to this point; once it hooks up. You can hear and feel the tires slipping all the way through three gears! Rumor has it I have a package coming my way that will put well over 550 horses to those same rear wheels. Lord, I feel sorry for those Supercar tires!!! With forged internals built to take twice the boost it currently runs - you have a platform ready willing and able to make over 700 hp with simple bolt-on parts. Gotta love 'em both in my mind.

Oh my God - just how wrong can one person be?????? It is ALWAYS about speed. :naughty:

I like just what I got and my rubber meets the road and stays attached. I never leave half of my tread on the payment. You have to kow how to take that much HP off the line without burning through 3 gears or you'll never win a race.
Said like a man that ran with Mickey Thompson at Lion drag strip back in the 60's. Where did all that time go?
Oh my God - just how wrong can one person be?????? It is ALWAYS about speed. :naughty:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom