Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Coolant temp fluctuation in stop & go traffic

HarvesterUT

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2008 XLR-V
I was stuck in really bad bumper-to-bumper traffic in the V over the weekend. I spent about 25-30 min creeping along in traffic. Speed was never above 5mph. I noticed my coolant temp started creeping up to the point where the needle was covering the first "2" in the "220" marker on my gauge. Normally the needle is about 1/3 of the way between the 2nd dot marker and the 220 marker. Is this normal for a V motor? Is this due to supercharger heat soak or something else? Would upgrading the intercooler pump to a higher flowing unit keep the coolant temps down at low speeds?

Thanks!

I was stuck in really bad bumper-to-bumper traffic in the V over the weekend. I spent about 25-30 min creeping along in traffic. Speed was never above 5mph. I noticed my coolant temp started creeping up to the point where the needle was covering the first "2" in the "220" marker on my gauge. Normally the needle is about 1/3 of the way between the 2nd dot marker and the 220 marker. Is this normal for a V motor? Is this due to supercharger heat soak or something else? Would upgrading the intercooler pump to a higher flowing unit keep the coolant temps down at low speeds?

Thanks!

While in Ocean City Md. 2 weekends ago. I was in the same type traffic and I notice the same thing on my 05 Base model too. It maybe normal as the cars not moving and if it’s hot out too, it’s gonna run hotter! I’m just not sure what’s considered the over heat limit is either? Anyone else know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if its overheated you would get a SES light and AC would shut off and idle RPM's would increase. 238 F is the trigger point 220F is fine and keeping a gap between the car in front will help cooling.

Yes, 220 degrees is the top of the "normal" range for most engines. I was just surprised at how much the needled fluctuated. None of my other cars have ever moved the needle that much.

depends a lot on where the sending unit is located as to how quick it cools off and reheats

My base 2005 does the same and after much research I found that this is totally normal for a Northstar. It is a function of the software that drives the cooling fan. Cadillac wanted to keep the car quiet so they run the fan at very low speeds until the engine temp gets very high at which point they increase the fan speed and noise. I considered making a module that would plug in between the factory harness and the cooling fan to keep the temps in a more "normal" range.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

yes, mine creeps up quickly once its warmed up, normal temp hovers about 2/3 of the way up to the 220, but within a few minutes in traffic or at a long light, it will move closer to 220. never saw it completely up to the 220 line, but it gets close.
you could turn on the heat on high, NO AC, if its concerning.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom