Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Cracked #8 cylinder

mainilla26

My XLR/V(s)
2005 Pewter
I've had my 2005 Cadillac XLR in the shop for head gasket replacement, because it tested positive for leak detection and misfires across all cylinders. Upon removing the Head the mechanic found the blocked cracked and the fluid seepage evidence. Today I just ordered a zero mileage new stock engine. The mechanic will have it up and running next week.
Not sure if I'll keep it after the repairs. Body has 146000 miles. New seat bottoms including foam, very well maintained and only serviced by the dealership with the one XLR mechanic they have. I Tech 2 and complete manuals.

It seems as if these head bolts back out over time due to dissimiliar metal Galvanic corrosion. While some become loose others remained tight creating uneven tension on the block and head, which theoretically led to my crack.
If you are out there and your X has high mileage I would getting the head bolts checked, and if you find any loose head bolts get your head gasket replaced and that will drive time-certs being installed.
I got lucky and found a new OEM surplus stock engine they had two, so I bought both of them.

Good luck my fellow X'ers!

It seems as if these head bolts back out over time due to dissimiliar metal Galvanic corrosion. While some become loose others remained tight creating uneven tension on the block and head, which theoretically led to my crack.
If you are out there and your X has high mileage I would getting the head bolts checked, and if you find any loose head bolts get your head gasket replaced and that will drive time-certs being installed.
I got lucky and found a new OEM surplus stock engine they had two, so I bought both of them.

Good luck my fellow X'ers!

99% of the reports I saw say that is no longer a problem with the northstar after 04. I have talked with the NorthStar guru that builds dozens and he said highly unlikely . He said that was the old problem, He said because the caddy problem was well known that is what is blamed on most northstar failures . Most of the time, they run hot due to bad water pumps, people not changing the coolant and all those problems get called headbolt failure when it is not. You do not want certs put in but rather longer bolts on the northstars that had that problem. He said that most people that keep up to date on them do not do the insert repair that fails but rather the replacement bolts. CAddy shows over 100 engines In stock by part number. Unknown why you showed only 2?

very disappointed as well

I have a 05 with less than 100K on and my mechanic says the head bolts have let the heads move away and let the coolant escape. Am i one of the 1%? Very interested in anyone else's ideas. I am about 3 weeks away from ordering a rebuilt motor from GM. It only carries a 3yr warranty, not sure they are really proud they have fixed the problem.

I have a 05 with less than 100K on and my mechanic says the head bolts have let the heads move away and let the coolant escape. Am i one of the 1%? Very interested in anyone else's ideas. I am about 3 weeks away from ordering a rebuilt motor from GM. It only carries a 3yr warranty, not sure they are really proud they have fixed the problem.

Evidently we are of this mysterious 1%. The only great thing about the 3 year warranty is they will eat the parts and more importantly the labor, which is ridiculous! At 80,000 miles I had mine resealed because of oil seepage at a cost of over $3,000. I was told by a Cadillac expert in Arizona to find an engine with low miles or have the block studded, because he absolutely had no faith in the Time-Certs. I just didn't want to possibly get an engine with 50 or 60+ thousand miles and have to do a reseal later., that's why I purchased the new 0 miles gm surplus engine.

I hope this helps! Happy Hunting!!!

much less than 1%

with hundreds of thousands of the newer design motor like in our xlr being used in other models that are not reprting any failures I would say you are more like the 1% of 1%. Early motors had a known issue. later do not. Mechanics as we know, never make mistakes. Any car that has run hot can cause a blown head gasket along with wrong or no coolant in the car. ,many reason for a blown headgasket that would result in bolt loosening. The guys that are pros and race the NorthStar say they do not see head bolt failure after the change. Of course there are people that think AUDI's still run accelerate when you hit the brake pedal.

thanks

Evidently we are of this mysterious 1%. The only great thing about the 3 year warranty is they will eat the parts and more importantly the labor, which is ridiculous! At 80,000 miles I had mine resealed because of oil seepage at a cost of over $3,000. I was told by a Cadillac expert in Arizona to find an engine with low miles or have the block studded, because he absolutely had no faith in the Time-Certs. I just didn't want to possibly get an engine with 50 or 60+ thousand miles and have to do a reseal later., that's why I purchased the new 0 miles gm surplus engine.

I hope this helps! Happy Hunting!!!

First, thanks for responding, for many reasons. the site says i can't post, and they even send me emails i haven't been on in awhile. Frustrating, Even got an email last night. Back to the car, Looking at the manual, it appears there was 2 different head bolts used, 2 different sizes. do both sizes have problems? Does anyone know when the bolts changed by serial number? Do you know if anyone has tried putting a non Northstar engine in a XLR? Thanks again

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom