Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Custom Paint or not?

Phrede

Seasoned Member
Since I've had to do some paint repair, and need to do it again, my paint is not original. The entire car is getting the body panels refit and aligned and painting the entire car. Mostly to fix what the last guy did. I am considering having a custom paint job done instead of going back to a stock appearance. Nothing to radical since I do not think the lines or style of the car support anything too radical. I'm considering things like replacing the badging with airbrushed, shadowing in a Cadillac Crest on the hood with a V overlay. Hard to explain but I've seen similar and it is very subtle and cool when the light hits it. Look from one angle you see the crest from another you see the V Very 3D like. The painter is first rate and we even talked about a two tone with some gold leaf stripping. Not entirely sold on two tone yet.

My questions that I seek opinions on......

Is it better to go with a stock look to maintain any potential value as a collectable or do some subtle custom stuff with a high end (deep) paint job? No one knows the future value of the car. Some say not enough were made to ever stand a chance of being a collectable. No one knows for sure, but everyone has an opinion. Either way the main color will stay the same.

Since I've had to do some paint repair, and need to do it again, my paint is not original. The entire car is getting the body panels refit and aligned and painting the entire car. Mostly to fix what the last guy did. I am considering having a custom paint job done instead of going back to a stock appearance. Nothing to radical since I do not think the lines or style of the car support anything too radical. I'm considering things like replacing the badging with airbrushed, shadowing in a Cadillac Crest on the hood with a V overlay. Hard to explain but I've seen similar and it is very subtle and cool when the light hits it. Look from one angle you see the crest from another you see the V Very 3D like. The painter is first rate and we even talked about a two tone with some gold leaf stripping. Not entirely sold on two tone yet.

My questions that I seek opinions on......

Is it better to go with a stock look to maintain any potential value as a collectable or do some subtle custom stuff with a high end (deep) paint job? No one knows the future value of the car. Some say not enough were made to ever stand a chance of being a collectable. No one knows for sure, but everyone has an opinion. Either way the main color will stay the same.

I would think in a collectors eye if its been repainted ??? Airbrushing logos??? I would think keep it elegant maybe a dark burgundy wine,or your stock color with a pearl clear. Two tones work better with darker colors IMO. Tough call. I have some chips in the front bumper from the previous owner I think he always tailgated people for the 4,500 miles he put on her. I think about getting everything touched up and doing a pearl clear over the xenon blue. But then it's not original paint and forget about touch ups. End of the day it's your car do what you want your paying for it.

I've always been a stock kind of guy as far as painting goes, especially when collector's value is concerned. Whether or not it's been repainted, IMHO, is irrelevant as long as most exterior (and interior) colors remain stock. This is just my opinion and as Stella said, "End of the day it's your car do what you want your paying for it."

I would think in a collectors eye if its been repainted ??? Airbrushing logos??? I would think keep it elegant maybe a dark burgundy wine,or your stock color with a pearl clear. Two tones work better with darker colors IMO. Tough call. I have some chips in the front bumper from the previous owner I think he always tailgated people for the 4,500 miles he put on her. I think about getting everything touched up and doing a pearl clear over the xenon blue. But then it's not original paint and forget about touch ups. End of the day it's your car do what you want your paying for it.

I will not be changing the base color. Maybe just a bit deeper or a little more pearl/candy.

Yes, the airbrushed badging looks great when done right. Can't really tell the difference at a glance, but when you really look you realize it is flat even though it looks 3D. You should check it out if you have never seen it done.

What mtrocket said. OEM has a much broader appeal for a buyer, imho. If you don't/won't care about resale value,
have at it with no regrets!

It's your car Phrede, go for it. You probably are not going to sell it anytime soon anyway if at all. Enjoy it while you can.

Phrede,

If it were me I would go with the stock look. I think that a collector would likely want that more. However, I have seen many cars sell on Mecum Auto Action for good money and those cars had custom paint jobs.

Phrede,

However, I have seen many cars sell on Mecum Auto Action for good money and those cars had custom paint jobs.
Remember the old saying theirs a a--hole for ever seat.
With changing the color the bad part is the door jambs.

IMHO I would stick with the stock color for cost. Otherwise, you'll have to paint everything! The door jams, the trunk, the hood and every place were you can see stock paint exist.

These cars are selling for dirt cheap compared to the MSRP. If they are going to become a collector's car they are going to have to be very very low mileage and the lowest I've seen so far on this site is 7500 miles and the owner flip flops on should I sell, no, I'll keep it, no maybe I should sell it, etc. Or the car be 40 years old and I, myself, am not going to be around in another 40 years.

There are not too many cars in this day in age that are going to be collector's items. With all of the electronics, once they go bad, you wouldn't be able to ever get a replacement. I have automatic temp control in my 88 Vette. There's a part that works the mixing door that's going bad. I've been looking for one for over a year without any luck. GM stopped creating them years ago.

What's going to replace one of the many sensors that operate our tops?

These cars are selling for dirt cheap compared to the MSRP. If they are going to become a collector's car they are going to have to be very very low mileage and the lowest I've seen so far on this site is 7500 miles and the owner flip flops on should I sell, no, I'll keep it, no maybe I should sell it, etc. Or the car be 40 years old and I, myself, am not going to be around in another 40 years.

There are not too many cars in this day in age that are going to be collector's items. With all of the electronics, once they go bad, you wouldn't be able to ever get a replacement. I have automatic temp control in my 88 Vette. There's a part that works the mixing door that's going bad. I've been looking for one for over a year without any luck. GM stopped creating them years ago.

True that!:blinzel: Enjoy your car and never look at as a "Collector" car for you might not be around to witness it or for that matter remember why you kept it.

IMHO I would stick with the stock color for cost. Otherwise, you'll have to paint everything! The door jams, the trunk, the hood and every place were you can see stock paint exist.

Maybe you missed where I said the base color was not changing. Jams etc. are one of the reasons.

Good points. Live for today.

BTW the top has 4 sensors, all the same. They are not much more than potentiometers in a special case.

I do get your point. Modules or body parts are my biggest concern. I would hate to scrap a car for not being able to get a simple part.

Well I look at it this way I bought my XLR because I loved it and I'll be damn if I want to sit and look at every day sitting in the garage just to keep it shiny and new on the other hand I do my damnedest to do that anyways but my point here is what ever your decision is you want to like it so what you like is what you should do! Honestly if a person was like me I'd buy 2 if I thought it was going to be collector car and than drive the hell out of the other one to show it off and enjoy it!
Bottom line is do what make you proud of your baby Fred! Hope this helps you to decide!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
" 05 GRAND DADDY"

-Custom-Paint-or-not

Phrede
I think what you are saying about the hood paint would look good. Enjoy the car and do what makes you happy.
V Happy:)

In the short term remember, even though these cars are not at their original MSRP the question is at what point do they stop loosing value? For example if the car has 30K miles and you paid $35K for it, and you own it for five years so that it now has 40K miles will it then still be worth $35K? If so, then the only expense for ownership would have been the cost for maintenance and repairs. Provided the repairs were not too expensive then that would be great. I think that is the first step for the cars becoming collectors items (when they stop loosing value-within reason).

An example of this is that I have a Plymouth Prowler (best car that Chrysler ever made) and it is worth the same amount that I paid for it in 2003 despite putting 5K miles on it. However, even though it has held it's value for the last 10 years, it would be great to see the car's value start to increase.

If you want to have fun looking at values, go somewhere like Autotrader, get the VIN's to some cars, & Google the VIN. Makes it easier to follow the car around the country & the price changes.

A lot of the pricing is relative, namely that convertibles cost more in the farther south (probably not a surprise). I saw a XLR-V for sale in Fl with 18k miles for $58,900. It sold a year earlier in Pa with 15k miles & asking price of $54,900. So, it got 3k MORE miles put on it & the price (at least asking) went UP $4k. :dunno: I've also seen cars move straight from a Va. dealer to a Fl dealer & the price goes up $5k just from the trip. Minnesota, on the other hand, seems to have some bargains. :D

Basically, as with any type of collector car it's just a big crap shoot. I just enjoy the car for what it is & if the value goes up, that will be icing on the cake - not planning on getting rid of it regardless.

If you want to have fun looking at values, go somewhere like Autotrader, get the VIN's to some cars, & Google the VIN. Makes it easier to follow the car around the country & the price changes.

A lot of the pricing is relative, namely that convertibles cost more in the farther south (probably not a surprise). I saw a XLR-V for sale in Fl with 18k miles for $58,900. It sold a year earlier in Pa with 15k miles & asking price of $54,900. So, it got 3k MORE miles put on it & the price (at least asking) went UP $4k. :dunno: I've also seen cars move straight from a Va. dealer to a Fl dealer & the price goes up $5k just from the trip. Minnesota, on the other hand, seems to have some bargains. :D

Basically, as with any type of collector car it's just a big crap shoot. I just enjoy the car for what it is & if the value goes up, that will be icing on the cake - not planning on getting rid of it regardless.

I understand your point XLRating, but in the case of the Prowler, I have watched the prices over a (10) year period and they are pretty stable regardless of location. I think that the XLR's still have not yet reached the point where one can say they're prices have stabilzed.

I understand your point XLRating, but in the case of the Prowler, I have watched the prices over a (10) year period and they are pretty stable regardless of location. I think that the XLR's still have not yet reached the point where one can say they're prices have stabilzed.

I agree, XLR values are over the map - that's the only thing I was playing with VIN's on. I don't know anything about Prowlers! (other than you really, really NEVER see them out & about, at least around here).

I agree, XLR values are over the map - that's the only thing I was playing with VIN's on. I don't know anything about Prowlers! (other than you really, really NEVER see them out & about, at least around here).

Yes, those Prowlers do stay hidden. I did see a black one twice in Davenport, Iowa in April. After that I have not seen it. Maybe it was just passing through. The only other time I saw one was in Chicago in the May time frame. Otherwise I have seen them in Southern California. Even there Prowlers are rare. Whenever I drive it people always ask what is it and want to take pictures of it. However, those cars do stay hidden away. Also I have never seen one in the snow.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom