Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Dexron VI causes transmission whine / howl

CadillacSam

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 Thunder Gray
Hi there,

finally I changed the transmission fluid in my 04 XLR, going with Dexron VI.

But: Has anyone experienced a whining / howling with the Dexron VI?

Now the car starts to whine as soon as you crank it up and goes on until
it's completely warmed up - even now in summer.
Didn't have that before with the old Dex III.
So now I wonder if I should go back to the old style fluid or
is it a reset or something like this in the onboard system I have to do?

Thanks for help!

Sammy

From the XLR owner's manual:
Automatic Transmission
DEXRON®-III Automatic Transmission Fluid.
Look for “Approved for the H-Specification” on the label.

I was going to do a total fluid change on my car this Fall including engine oil , transmission , radiator and rear end. The car runs great and maybe I should leave well enough alone and just do an OIf. I got 86,000 miles on the car.
John F.

dexron 3

I dont think Gm even sells dexron 3 any longer .According to Gm 6 is what they reccomend to use. You may not have it completely full? I would start with double checking that. Did yo udo a filter change also? Only thing I read was not to use 6 in manual transmissions that call for 3

here is a link to GM tsb

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/tsb/data/04-07-30-037a.pdf

According to the link I just read my 06 uses Dextron V1. However my manual say Dextron 111. Can I use Dextron V1 as a replacement. It appears to be a problem on the 04 model.
John F.

Oil reset

According to the link I just read my 06 uses Dextron V1. However my manual say Dextron 111. Can I use Dextron V1 as a replacement. It appears to be a problem on the 04 model.
John F.

That's the question. Some stores still sell Dex III H from ACDelco, but it was officially replaced by VI.

Many Cadillacs have a reset option when filling new oil into the transmission,
but I couldn't find it in the shop manual for my XLR.

Does it have one and can somebody help with the procedure?

By the way: Changed the differential fluid, too. ACDelco 10-4034 is a great choice, no noises coming from diff anymore when
drivin' close corners.

I dont think Gm even sells dexron 3 any longer .According to Gm 6 is what they reccomend to use. You may not have it completely full? I would start with double checking that. Did yo udo a filter change also? Only thing I read was not to use 6 in manual transmissions that call for 3

here is a link to GM tsb

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/tsb/data/04-07-30-037a.pdf

Yes I measured the amount of old fluid coming out just to be sure.
Procedure exactly like the manual says of refilling (not the flushing procedure)

I was going to change the diff as well but changed my mind when I heard stories of noisy rear ends after this was done.
John F.

Diif was fine - no issues with the new fluid.
Did you change transmission too?

It's the same transmission and diff as the corvette. If you have technical questions about the corvette parts, there are much better resources than here for those items. I've learned a lot by reading corvette forums, from brakes to most of the chassis.

I was going to change the diff as well but changed my mind when I heard stories of noisy rear ends after this was done.
John F.

It's the same transmission and diff as the corvette. If you have technical questions about the corvette parts, there are much better resources than here for those items. I've learned a lot by reading corvette forums, from brakes to most of the chassis.

Thanks, I will try the Corvette forums.

But one question is left and it's Cadillac specific, cause the control modul is Cadillac, not Corvette:
Is there an option to reset transmission fluid indicator or even the whole transmission?

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom