Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Transmission fluid and filter change

CadillacSam

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 Thunder Gray
Hi there,

together with my garage technician we changed transmission filter and fluid on my XLR.
Think 14 years is long enough with the same oil, although I know Cadillac says it don't need to be changed.
But I had other experience with my STS and now change it every 50k (daily car)

Anyway: Problem is, that the filter comes with two red rubber seals and one whíte plastic style
and we couldn't figure out where to put each:

https://www.rockauto.com/de/moreinfo.php?pk=1311601&cc=1420164&jsn=435

Service manual says "use installer xyz to put in the seals and then put in the filter", but my garage doesn't have an installer like that.

Anyone done this or has suggestions how to get the seals at the right place?
And what is the correct height for the seals? Maybe a mark or notch where to put it...

Thanks for help.

Greetings from Germany,
Sammy

Last edited:
Sorry I can not be of help with your problem but I could not resist saying hello to another XLR lover in Germany! :wave:

Do you know of any other XLR's in your area? It truly must be a challenge fixing and XLR where there are no trained/experienced (XLR) mechanics.

Sorry I can not be of help with your problem but I could not resist saying hello to another XLR lover in Germany! :wave:

Do you know of any other XLR's in your area? It truly must be a challenge fixing and XLR where there are no trained/experienced (XLR) mechanics.

Another? Who is from Germany too? :wave:
Yes it's not easy fixing things and I don't know any other XLRs here...

Another? Who is from Germany too? :wave:
Yes it's not easy fixing things and I don't know any other XLRs here...

No, I am not from Germany, I am Canadian. I have been to Germany and my grandparents on my dad's side were German but sadly I do not know where they were from.
Usually you will get answers from this forum for problems you face. Lots of people who know XLR's and are willing to help where ever they can. Good luck with your problem.

Transmission filter

Hi caddillacSam
Did you figure it out how to change the filter
And is everything working fine?

Yes, it's easy.
The manual says a tool is needed to put it in place, but it "snaps in" normally
when putting the filter on.

Other experience I had:
The 04 and 05 XLRs don't like the Dexron VI, there was a whining all the time as soon
as I started the engine. Maybe that's the reason GM still sells IIIH type.
With IIIH no problem - quiet and smooth.

Hi caddillacSam
Did you figure it out how to change the filter
And is everything working fine?

transmission oil change

thanks for the info i was wondering about that seal.

how many miles yours have

i have an 04 93k miles

everybody warns me about changing it since i passed 60k
and this new one that a cadillac tech told me
""if your have old (14 years )oil, your tranny is used to that old oil, changing it might cause problems"":(

another thing was oil VI or III - so you put VI first then how many miles did drive until you went back to put III ?
did you did a full flush or you have them together?

everybody warns me about changing it since i passed 60k
and this new one that a cadillac tech told me
""if your have old (14 years )oil, your tranny is used to that old oil, changing it might cause problems"":(

??? That's a disagreement for itself - you should not change it when it is too young and you should not change it when it is too old?
Mine was 14 years and 37K and I can tell you there was not little abrasive wear inside at the collectors magnet.
So it was a good idea to do a change.

The problem was the fluid - with VI I had a little whistling as soon I started the car.
When getting hot it was gone, so I changed back to IIIH after maybe 500 miles.
No whistling anymore. Think viscosity is too low for the first transmissions in the XLR.

I did a fluid change 2 times, first time with filter and second time only fluid to get as much
out as possible without flushing.

What did people warn you about? What should happen?

[/QUOTE]

i ask him the same thing and his response from the cadillac tech was that he dosent know but for experience he have remove old oil from other cars low mileage and those cars returned with more problems.but they will gladly do the filter change for 349 and a flush for 199 but they are not responsible for any damage :blinzel:

i said , no thank you bye!!!:wave:

it make no sense to me, but he just left me wondering
im still going to do it soon , because my transmission is slipping , i get out of my garage > put it on D and the engine only revs only - no go > then after 3 seconds it starts going - it only happens every morning after the cars just sits there for more than 12 hours.so it may be just low on oil since the shift cable is sticky wet , looks like trans oil, so maybe it leaks one drop every month times 14 years so maybe its low only, but i want to change the filter might as well.

i ask him the same thing and his response from the cadillac tech was that he dosent know but for experience he have remove old oil from other cars low mileage and those cars returned with more problems.but they will gladly do the filter change for 349 and a flush for 199 but they are not responsible for any damage :blinzel:

i said , no thank you bye!!!:wave:

it make no sense to me, but he just left me wondering
im still going to do it soon , because my transmission is slipping , i get out of my garage > put it on D and the engine only revs only - no go > then after 3 seconds it starts going - it only happens every morning after the cars just sits there for more than 12 hours.so it may be just low on oil since the shift cable is sticky wet , looks like trans oil, so maybe it leaks one drop every month times 14 years so maybe its low only, but i want to change the filter might as well.[/QUOTE]

I read on a GM board that the fluid used was III and not IIIH with factory fill.
Model year 2006 came with IIIH and is more stable, so that could be the reason
for slippin and the abresive I found inside.
I used MOTUL fluid cause the original GM was out of stock.

I read on a GM board that the fluid used was III and not IIIH with factory fill.
Model year 2006 came with IIIH and is more stable, so that could be the reason
for slippin and the abresive I found inside.
I used MOTUL fluid cause the original GM was out of stock.[/QUOTE]

oh ok
Hey thank you so much for your information :)
i hope i dont have any problems tackling this filter seal

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back