Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Does a current (2019+) Cadillac radio fit an XLR?

billk37

I am trying to find a solution to have apple play /CarPlay in a '08 or '09 XLR - yes they have satellite radios - but what about swapping out the oem for a newer oem unit from a late model Cadillac?

If I had to guess, I would say no but that's only a guess. I swapped a bad cd changer out of my 2007 XLR V with a brand new one that was made for a 2006 Cadillac SRX, it did work but I had to install the mother board from the old unit to get the steering wheel controls to work. The point I'm trying to make is that there were changes to the control systems in that one-year difference. I have to believe there will be many more differences in the ten years you're considering. Never say never, there may be a work around.

If I had to guess, I would say no but that's only a guess. I swapped a bad cd changer out of my 2007 XLR V with a brand new one that was made for a 2006 Cadillac SRX, it did work but I had to install the mother board from the old unit to get the steering wheel controls to work. The point I'm trying to make is that there were changes to the control systems in that one-year difference. I have to believe there will be many more differences in the ten years you're considering. Never say never, there may be a work around.
You make a valid point - I was just fishing to learn if someone had figured it - a little purchase strategy - the wife likes apple play

But you CAN install an aftermarket unit like Kenwood, Pioneer and others very easily and have Car Play, backup camera, gps, cd player, usb inputs and outputs and still retain steering wheel controls

But you CAN install an aftermarket unit like Kenwood, Pioneer and others very easily and have Car Play, backup camera, gps, cd player, usb inputs and outputs and still retain steering wheel controls
great - thanks for that suggestion...now the process of finding the right "surgeon" to get the operation right begins.

The only thing that might "sting" them is the wiring harness for the radio doesn't quite make it a plug and play install. The speaker wires need to be "jumped" or criss crossed in order to work. When I got mine done in 2016 I wrote a pretty comprehensive review of the installation. You might want to look it up, as well as a few more threads.

Why don't you just purchase a brand new factory one ?? Not worry about the change over this and that Price is reasonable. and keeping the XLR orginal appearance.
This is available as of Feb 26th.
.https://www.smcautoparts.com/15845371-Navigation-Radio-p/15845371.htm

Thing about a new factory unit is you're still getting a 15 year old technology. Unless you just absolutely want to keep the car stock, it's your car. And the factory unit has been sitting on a shelf for 15 years or more.

The only thing that might "sting" them is the wiring harness for the radio doesn't quite make it a plug and play install. The speaker wires need to be "jumped" or criss crossed in order to work. When I got mine done in 2016 I wrote a pretty comprehensive review of the installation. You might want to look it up, as well as a few more threads.

This the main thread for reference ? :

This the main thread for reference ? :

Yes

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry