Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Don't give up just yet!

buki

Account Suspended
My XLR/V(s)
2005 Xenon Blue XLR
Like everyone else I have a concern about parts availability.

That's why I have begun a project that MAY build your confidence.

I have made an agreement with a significant institution to bypass Cadillac patents. Not illegally mind you. We are researching one-off solutions. If it all goes as planned I will notify you of the next step.

It is actually quite simple.

They have a top of the line 3D printing system. And I have an XLR.

I have given them a headlight unit that they are disassembling currently. Every component (except the electronics) they are sure can be reproduced.

We'll see. Stay tuned. I am very excited about the possibilities.

Great! By all means give them a taillight as well..i will get involved if needed...

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

Like everyone else I have a concern about parts availability.

That's why I have begun a project that MAY build your confidence.

I have made an agreement with a significant institution to bypass Cadillac patents. Not illegally mind you. We are researching one-off solutions. If it all goes as planned I will notify you of the next step.

It is actually quite simple.

They have a top of the line 3D printing system. And I have an XLR.

I have given them a headlight unit that they are disassembling currently. Every component (except the electronics) they are sure can be reproduced.

We'll see. Stay tuned. I am very excited about the possibilities.

Sorry if I am behind the times and therefore dumb as a stump :dunno:: I thought stuff off of 3D printers came out opaque off white: are they able to reproduce clear itmes no too?

Sorry if I am behind the times and therefore dumb as a stump :dunno:: I thought stuff off of 3D printers came out opaque off white: are they able to reproduce clear itmes no too?

I asked about that and was told they can produce clear items. If they can't do it efficiently they will use the lens enclosure to print a perfect mold that can be cast with anything I want.

High hopes. This would be a step in the right direction in my opinion. Keep us updated.

Sent from my SM-N930P using Tapatalk

Do't give up yet

Sounds like a excellent plan ...would change everything...have to see it to believe it...Thanks for the effort

HI All,
Good afternoon. Sunny and 79 in Paradise. That sounds great!! So many parts that are not available from Cadillac... I am sure to support this effort..
Have a great day and keep us updated.
Fred

I'm interested...

Can't wait to hear the result...

Not illegal to copy a party unless they have a patent for it somehow, which I doubt this headlight has one.

The bigger problem is your reproduction won't be street legal. And I'm smelling a $3000 a unit price.

I think we probably need to get the address of all junk yards in states with a high number of XLRs and send them all a snail mail telling them how valuable XLR parts are becoming so they don't just crush them.

I applaud your attempt!

What you might be able to do, is make a headlight carrier that would hold a DOT approved light, something like this.

LED Headlights – Model 90

Good luck!

(btw, note at the end of the video where they are talking about your potential legal responsibility in event of an accident with a non-dot approved light.)

Last edited:
Not illegal to copy a party unless they have a patent for it somehow, which I doubt this headlight has one.

Since looking at patents on the US Patent Office website is a non starter for me, I can tell you with a fair certainty that 99% of the parts that make up an XLR are patented. The other 1% are probably patented by another party and GM has a license to use that patent.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom