Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Door will not open electrically

Perdidoguy

My XLR/V(s)
2007 Black XLR
Drove my car yesterday and when I got to my destination it wouldn't let me out! I had to use the manual lever to open the door. When pushing the button, you can hear it "try" but it doesn't operate the latch in the door jam. Removed the two screws holding the latch on but can't figure out how to get to it. It looks like I should have access from the inside of the car once I remove some trim but I wanted to check with others before I start removing interior trim pieces.

OK, so I am a little impatient and proceeded without direction. The interior trim snaps off and there is a soft patch that peels off the frame and allows the latch assembly to come right out. Removed the two manual release cables and the connector and it is out and in my hand. Doesn't appear to be serviceable without grinding off two peened shaft that hold the silver bracket to the case. Probably can't repair it anyway so I will proceed with finding a replacement. Will do autopsy later when I have the new part.

Maybe this will help:

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.xlr-net.com/forums/cadillac-xlr-technical-discussion/9106-quick-fix-for-intermittent-and-dead-door-switch-pads.html?highlight=membrane+switch

CC
[/FONT]

ccclarke, I learned the door-switch pad trick awhile back. I am back in business now but I had to purchase the whole latch assembly. There was a little piece of a metal arm inside the latch assembly that broke. No way to repair it. Since I have owned the car, the door dropped slightly when opening. This implied that the door hinges were worn. With worn hinges a lot of the weight of the door was on the latch. I feel that this made the door slightly harder for the latch to "push" off when activated. Of course, during this whole time the UAW was on strike and I couldn't order the part from a GM dealer. I stayed parked until I finally located the $240 part in Texas. While waiting for the new part to arrive I adjusted the door hinges to bring the door back up to the correct height. Now the door closes without the slightest amount of drop. Installed the new latch and put it all back together and BOOM! It worked perfectly! Now, if I can just sell it!

Drove my car yesterday and when I got to my destination it wouldn't let me out! I had to use the manual lever to open the door. When pushing the button, you can hear it "try" but it doesn't operate the latch in the door jam. Removed the two screws holding the latch on but can't figure out how to get to it. It looks like I should have access from the inside of the car once I remove some trim but I wanted to check with others before I start removing interior trim pieces.
Remove that black screw in the door jam, remove the outside door opener, take it inside, work over a bowl, remove the 4 teeny screws the hold it together, clean the copper circiutry, put it back together, reinstall on door-BINGO!! Works like new!!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom