Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Drain on trunk mounted electronic components

James Landi

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2007 (red) with wire grrile
Dear All,

I noticed with some trepidation a recent close up picture of GM's attempt at a one way water drain on the trunk sub floor that houses the expensive and sensitive top and ride control components. ON my recently purchased 2007, there is simply a hole... no pinched tube extending below... Has anyone come up with a better, more improved "fail safe" arrangement for a one way liquid drain out valve configuration? I'm recalling that this summer we were caught in a torrential rain event that might very well have caused a disaster (also wondering if my"full coverage insurance" would have covered this had the worst case occurred). Appreciate your insights and recommendations, James

There's plenty of info on this site as to how to keep the trunk sealed from expensive water damage, so it's worthwhile to read the posts related to this subject.

A hole in the bottom of the compartment is better than a pinched tube requiring care and feeding and more than adequate to drain any water that might enter from above. In fact, drilling another similar-sized hole in the bottom of the passenger side compartment is a prudent idea. Mine had four inches of standing water in it when I bought the car.

If the car enters a two-foot flooded road, the compartments are facing a different flooding problem that no drain will solve, ---but ballast tanks just might. . .

CC :wave:

Last edited:
There's plenty of info on this site as to how to keep the trunk sealed from expensive water damage, so it's worthwhile to read the posts related to this subject.

A hole in the bottom of the compartment is better than a pinched tube requiring care and feeding and more than adequate to drain any water that might enter from above. In fact, drilling another similar-sized hole in the bottom of the passenger side compartment is a prudent idea. Mine had four inches of standing water in it when I bought the car.

If the car enters a two-foot flooded road, the compartments are facing a different flooding problem that no drain will solve, ---but ballast tanks just might. . .

Thanks CC-- as they say, " It is what it is...." One more question if you'd so kind to indulge me... with 4 inches of standing water in the trunk, I assume that the top and ride control components were cooked... and one other follow-up--- where was the leak and how did you fix it? Thanks James

Thanks CC-- as they say, " It is what it is...." One more question if you'd so kind to indulge me... with 4 inches of standing water in the trunk, I assume that the top and ride control components were cooked... and one other follow-up--- where was the leak and how did you fix it? Thanks James

The four inches of standing water was in the passenger side compartment where there are no components. (The car had been parked outside on a sales lot for a year in rainy Seattle.) I drilled a 3/8" hole in the bottom and sealed the trunk lip edges properly -- in accordance with GM's TSB on the subject.

Last edited:
The four inches of standing water was in the passenger side compartment where there are no components. (The car had been parked outside on a sales lot for a year in rainy Seattle.) I drilled a 3/8" hole in the bottom and sealed the trunk lip edges properly -- in accordance with GM's TSB on the subject.

Thank you CC--- I easily found your thread regarding trunk leaks-- The narrative is highly informative, but I could not "pull up" the diagrams that another member posted in his email. If it is not too inconvenient, perhaps those "All Data" diagrams have a link? Or the diagrams could be on a pdf. Again, I appreciate you and several others who "dive deeply" into issues that haunt our fabulous cars. As they age, clearly, we owner must take more responsibility to fix these challenges as they arise. Gratefully, James

Hate to break from this forum is anyone aware of true wire wheels that can be put on an XLR V Cadillac 06 thanks jerz

Sent from my SM-T357T using Tapatalk

Starting a new thread is easy: Look at the top/left of the screen where the Post New Thread button lives on the home page.

Otherwise your question could easily get buried here and an answer may take awhile.

CC

Attachments

• Post New Thread.jpg
    Post New Thread.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 415
Okay, had the dreaded trunk leakage wipe out my modules literally three days after I got my 2005 XLR. I've read that some people are removing the rubber drain tube, and even drilling more holes in the module box. I got a good look at everything back there while installing Bilsteins and a rear sway bar. Removing the drain tube and drilling more holes seems like a VERY bad idea. All the automatic carwashes I've seen lately have an 'underbody wash' as you pull into the stall. You'd be shooting water straight up into the module box. And just driving down the road in wet conditions would have the tire spray launching water right up at the holes. I took care of the truck leaks per the Service Bulletin I found on this site and came up with something that "should" work for allowing the box to drain if somehow water did get into the trunk, yet keep water from carwashes and tire splash from getting into the box. Should've taken pictures while I was under there but didn't, so here's a rough CAD model of what I did. Took a 3/8" piece of soft copper, flared one end as far as I could to prevent the tube from passing through the existing hole in the module box. There's like 1/16", or the wall thickness of the copper tube protruding into the box. Bent the tube 85 degrees as close to the flared end as my bender would allow, then cut the open end hanging out of the bottom of the box at a 45 degree angle, opening facing up. This way the carwash and road water can't get up the tube, but water could get out if,Heaven forbid, it was to leak in. Sealed with a bead of RTV around the drain opening. It's high enough that the bumper blocks the water during the undercarriage and regular carwash cycle.

Attachments

• Module_box_drain_2019-Aug-06_11-55-49AM-000_CustomizedView9639207285.jpg
    Module_box_drain_2019-Aug-06_11-55-49AM-000_CustomizedView9639207285.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 273
Last edited:
the only problem others have found with your idea is water still getting into the box when you open the trunk and it either runs off the trunk in the rain or leaks. your tube is smaller and will not take but a tiny leaf or any small item to block it and then the water fills up the box and ruins the modules . The only way water of any amount will get in from the bottom up is if you drive into a flooded roadway. at which point you are going to have more problems as other modules are mounted much lower on the car/ I have driven In total monsoons and stopped to get gas and check the area to find it may have a drop or two stuck to the plastic around the hole. Not sure of the under car carwashes. don't use them. Maybe someone else has experience wit h that one.

What automatic car wash can you take a car this low in to? I've never seen one (wouldn't use it anyway).

Uhhh...where do you live? They're everywhere out here. You drive into a bay [flat concrete], and on the "touchless" type [no brushes flipping around] the carwash mechanism moves around and over your vehicle with high-pressure nozzles and high-speed blowers dry it off as you exit the bay. Pretty convenient actually.

Attachments

• Automatic-Car-Wash-Machines.jpg
    Automatic-Car-Wash-Machines.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 269
attachment.php

A problem still lays undetected in nearly all automatic/car run through car washes > they use lots of recycled water used to clean other cars which drop oil, brake fluid, p/s fluid, tranny fluid, and who knows what else. They claim the recycled water is run through filters, but who knows how good those filtering systems are, or changed often? Damage to clear coat I'm sure happens if you use them on a regular basis.....if too lazy to hand wash yourself. I personally never use the automatic run throughs.

As for the trunk drain hole situation....yes, be sure the tube is clean and open. I pile a large stack of microfiber and cotton towels in the corner of the trunk where a disaster can occur with excess water entering the trunk. Our car never leaked water in that area, but I took the added decision to pile in the cleaning towels in that area,,,just in case. Figuring they would absorb lots of water if ever need be.

p z

Last edited:
Most of the ones I've seen like that have a front corner tire ramp they want you to drive in to, then your tire goes back on the floor placing you in only one place before the wash starts. And the ramp has a bar next to it that's too high for such a low car. Maybe I'll look around for newer ones.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom